Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I gave up drink for lent and now I am hanging for a drink

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I don't "give up" drink, I just don't bother with it for periods of time. Had a couple pints last weekend, been well over two months since I was last well inebriated.

If I ever feel a craving for drink but I don't want to go out I just go run and tire myself out. Then I don't want a few pints anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Testament1 wrote: »
    I believe it was a dig at AvBs penchant for highlighting how much more sophisticated he is than the savages he left behind in Ireland.

Stick around for highlights including generous remuneration, owning a new 5 series BMW, mindfulness and of course all washed down with a glass of Riesling!

Mindfulness and Reisling are part of that? Ok....

Or maybe you've got an inferiority complex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Mindfulness and Reisling are part of that? Ok....

Or maybe you've got an inferiority complex

They're but a couple of elements that make up a consistent style of posting by AvB which, in my eyes at least, has become something of a running joke on this forum. Making a lighthearted remark on this doesn't mean I have an inferiority complex. If anything I just wish he'd come up with some new material instead of becoming reliant on the classics!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

seamus wrote: »
    Two weeks.

The easiest time to stay away from the beer is when you've got your head in the toilet the next day.

The hardest time is seven days later when that morning is a forgotten memory and you're back in party mood.

And the seven days again after that you'll find yourself eating a huge takeaway to take your mind off the beer.

After that though, it becomes remarkably easy to stay off the beer. I've done it for a month once; pretty inadvertant, sickness, training etc meant I had to keep away from it. Once the two week period was done, the cravings pretty much went away and I felt like I could carry on for ages without a beer.

So keep going, push on through. The hardest part is the weekend. Arrange to go to the cinema on Friday and Saturday. Choose 10pm viewings and pre-pay for your tickets. That way you have to go, and by the time you come out of the cinema it'll be too late to go to the pub.

You sir, are a mirror image of me. So true, 2 weeks after giving the booze a miss, you wonder what all the fuss was about. The first week after as you say is not easy, best to make plans in advance or let the drinking buddies know ahead of time you're giving it a miss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

I've a funeral to go to tomorrow. Where does God stand on breaking your lenten vow for a funeral?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

kidneyfan wrote: »
    I've a funeral to go to tomorrow. Where does God stand on breaking your lenten vow for a funeral?
    Sure he turned water into wine, work away FFS ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

People who drink are incredibly stupid and have no imaginations

I tip my cap, spit in the fire and raise my glass to you Sir/Madam.

It's not often I get a good laugh off the back of one short sentence, but you have given me the best laugh I've had all day.

Slainte :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Everything in moderation, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Some heroin might take the edge off things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/overviews/seasons/Lent/lent_program.cfm

I don't want to do any of the above other than give up drink.
    It's mad Ted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement