Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pajero 2.8 Vibration

Options
  • 25-02-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Terrible vibration coming from the rear, the U joint was fecked replaced that but did not sort the vibration :rolleyes: comes in at 50 mph and gets worse as speed increases .there is a slight leak at the Diff(pinion) it is full of oil. Diff maybe fecked although surely it would be whining :confused:

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Perhaps the prop needs to be balanced.. Could account for it.

Otherwise, check the bearing for play as it joins to the gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Thelostcountry

TrailerBob wrote: »

check the bearing for play as it joins to the gearbox.

there is a slight bit of play but nothing major ....

Cheers for reply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Check the tyres anyway first for eggs.

Pile a ****e is still vibrating. I removed rear drive. drove it in 4wd no vibration present :eek: dropped the oil out of diff(for the crack) oil was perfect, not one bit of a metal filing on bung magnet .

So... its either shaft needs balancing or bearing in on the box rear gearbox mounts seem to be ok but i am going to double check :rolleyes:

If only somebody suggested that a week ago...:D

• Advertisement

If only somebody suggested that a week ago...:D

Yes Bob You mention that...

Where does one get a shaft balanced ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

If there's wear in the diff, that will cause the same symptoms. Pop off the rear cover and see if the sun and planet gear bearings are shot. Unless you hit the driveshaft, it shouldn't have gone out of balance.

Just being ironic... Long day today....

A chap I know gets them done here if necessary.. Not too often mind.

http://driveshaft.ie/about-us/

If the Vibration is gone with the shaft off, then I'd suspect the shaft itself. When the UJ was done, was the shaft split? If the inner shaft was removed, it could have been reassembled out of phase... ie the end yoke is perhaps at 90 degrees to where it was.

Just being ironic... Long day today....

A chap I know gets them done here if necessary.. Not too often mind.

http://driveshaft.ie/about-us/

If the Vibration is gone with the shaft off, then I'd suspect the shaft itself. When the UJ was done, was the shaft split? If the inner shaft was removed, it could have been reassembled out of phase... ie the end yoke is perhaps at 90 degrees to where it was.

If the rear diff isn't being drivven, it won't vibrate...I have seen lads get drives balanced to no avail, then open the diff and find that it is in bits with no bearings left at all, and still driving. Usually a used axle sorts it easier than shimming in a used/new diff. It could well be the propshaft, but if it isn't....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

If the rear diff isn't being drivven, it won't vibrate...I have seen lads get drives balanced to no avail, then open the diff and find that it is in bits with no bearings left at all, and still driving. Usually a used axle sorts it easier than shimming in a used/new diff. It could well be the propshaft, but if it isn't....

Wouldnt you imagine they be metal of some pedigree stuck to the magnet? agree though about the driveshaft not gone out of balance unless it got molested off roading and struck rocks etc.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt you imagine they be metal of some pedigree stuck to the magnet? agree though about the driveshaft not gone out of balance unless it got molested off roading and struck rocks etc.

Dunno tbh - ever seen the transit ones where the bearings break up into dust and mix with the oil into a dirty brown sludge? Feck all metal to be seen, but not a screed of bearing left.

Dunno tbh - ever seen the transit ones where the bearings break up into dust and mix with the oil into a dirty brown sludge? Feck all metal to be seen, but not a screed of bearing left.

Transits are chocolate though, fair point though. Diff cover off as you say.

Stupidly there is no back plate(solid axle casing:rolleyes:) for bearing inspection. will have to take the whole diff out!

For anyone that is interested, I will report back later in the week.

Cheers.

Stupidly there is no back plate(solid axle casing:rolleyes:) for bearing inspection. will have to take the whole diff out!

For anyone that is interested, I will report back later in the week.

Cheers.

Don't bother - put the back up in the air, wheels off the ground, use railway sleepers or whatever, and run it through the gears, as in actually drive it through the gears with the wheels spinning off the ground - make sure you chock the front wheels well and have it 100% supported. You won't be long seeing what's vibrating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Have you Lsd op?

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Have you Lsd op?

No LSD Dave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Are you sure yours is an open diff, thought all 2.8s had lsd. The jdm ones anyway.

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Are you sure yours is an open diff, thought all 2.8s had lsd. The jdm ones anyway.

Sorry Dave, You are right,it has an LSD!!

Finally got a chance to remove Diff. Crown and pinion look perfect! Cant see spider gears or Bearings yet as i have not striped it down. I'm not convinced it is the Diff, although I did hear a noise with her up in the air in 5th, was deffo from Diff, could have just been the sound of crown and pinion meshing :confused:

Anything else I should be looking out for??

I could do with a manual for specs preload,torque settings etc etc....

Are your trailing arm bushes all good?

• Advertisement

Are your trailing arm bushes all good?

TBH I don't know Lad... will check.

Cheers.

Nothing wrong with Diff anyway, all bearings perfect,gear pattern perfect. Back lash sound. what a waste of time taking the fooking thing out, should of known myself, when i dropped the gear oil and nothing on the magnet :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with Diff anyway, all bearings perfect,gear pattern perfect. Back lash sound. what a waste of time taking the fooking thing out, should of known myself, when i dropped the gear oil and nothing on the magnet :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So what's feckin causing the vibration then? If the tyres are good, the wheel bearings are good, the wheels are balanced,the prop is straight and balanced, the prop bearings are good, the gearbox output bearings are sound, and you've checked all them, then it's what??:rolleyes:

After going through the obvious list I just banged up on a fair few yokes, and finding nothing, it has turned out to be the diff. But generally, it's one of the obvious things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

@ 50 mph onwards, there's a good chance it could simply be wheel balancing. I would start with making sure there isn't mud caked on the inside of the wheels. I've seen that plenty of times on jeeps. Then get all 4 wheels balanced, or at least checked on a balancing machine.

And don't listen to anyone telling you that you don't need to balance the rears. If they are out by enough, they will vibrate at speed.

So what's feckin causing the vibration then?

Its worse than waiting on a story line in Eastenders this. :pac:

pablo128 wrote: »
    @ 50 mph onwards, there's a good chance it could simply be wheel balancing. I would start with making sure there isn't mud caked on the inside of the wheels. I've seen that plenty of times on jeeps. Then get all 4 wheels balanced, or at least checked on a balancing machine.

And don't listen to anyone telling you that you don't need to balance the rears. If they are out by enough, they will vibrate at speed.

I had kinda assumed all the obvious stuff had been checked tbh. I watched a lorry get pulled apart looking for a vibration that had a house-brick lodged up between the rear dual wheels.....Yeah, I kinda lolled.

I had kinda assumed all the obvious stuff had been checked tbh.

Its often bad diagnosis happens, like your story with the lorry is a classic example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I had kinda assumed all the obvious stuff had been checked tbh. I watched a lorry get pulled apart looking for a vibration that had a house-brick lodged up between the rear dual wheels.....Yeah, I kinda lolled.

I got a lad to check the tyre pressures on a car before I done 4 wheel alignment on it. Road tested it after and it was pulling all over the place. 2 hours and 3 more attempts at the tracking before I checked the tyres myself and discovered the lying b@stard hadn't checked the pressures at all. 2 tyres on one side were low. I could have choked the dirty kunt.:mad:

Its often bad diagnosis happens, like your story with the lorry is a classic example.

Sadly, I owned that renault/dodge truck at the time and was paying the bills...the driver got all sheepish and explained that he'd "just got fed up of the shaking..." and asked the workshop to pull the drive-line apart..

• Advertisement

Sadly, I owned that renault/dodge truck at the time and was paying the bills...the driver got all sheepish and explained that he'd "just got fed up of the shaking..." and asked the workshop to pull the drive-line apart..

That was a saucy bill for nothing.

Advertisement