Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do with your high-end smartphone that makes it worth having?

Options
  • 24-02-2015 9:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭

I had an S4 and lost it. When it came to replacing it I thought whether or not I really needed another expensive, and large, smartphone and pretty much decided I never used it for much aside from texts/WhatsApp and short uses of the internet and emails because I tend to use my tablet more when I have it and free time. In the end I decided to go with a smaller and cheaper phone (S3 mini) and my choice seems wise so far since, as I expected, it's only used for the very basics. The thing is, I can't help but feel like I wanna spend the money on a high end/large smartphone again just to have it, especially since I'm about to change networks and the new S6 and One M9 are on the way and will be tempting buys.

What do you, owners of high end phones like the S5, Note 4, One M8, 6/6+ etc., do with yours to justify the prices?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Take it out and show everyone I have it.

I actually still us a Siemens C25 for calls and texts...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I use it feel superior to the plebs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I think I'm just a victim of marketing tbh. I just want the latest/greatest model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

There are alternatives to bigbrand names expensive phones that have comparable hardware and run the latest version of android....but people keep buying the big brand names who keep charging a fortune....and around we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I find the compass a handy feature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

i can ssh into my home servers when something comes up and i'm away from home. The funniest thing is ssh'ing into my HTPC and sending some commands to dictate something and scare the crap out of whoever is in my living room at that time :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

There are alternatives to bigbrand names expensive phones that have comparable hardware and run the latest version of android....but people keep buying the big brand names who keep charging a fortune....and around we go!

Yeah the OnePlus is a great example, although it did gain a lot of attention because of the almost cult praise it received from it's owners, the invite system also seemed to help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What do you, owners of high end phones like the S5, Note 4, One M8, 6/6+ etc., do with yours to justify the prices?

Some probably insure'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

swiping through tinder while sitting on the toilet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Find it handy to ward off any potential conversations with strangers.

Was in a hospital ward last week, 7 out of the 8 were on a smartphone, last lad looking around at the walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tape it to my wrist so I can check the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Take pictures with my 20.7 mega pixel camera and record 4k video.

Besides that I may as well have any decently specced 4-5" device. Had a moto g for a while but upgraded purely because the camera was shoite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I can access flickr Linked in google + YouTube vimeo office apps on both my smart phones. Anf so on and so on. They even make phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'd never lost a phone in my life until September when I lost my HTC One in Las Vegas. Replaced that with an Xperia Z3 I bought off of Adverts and then that got stolen on a stag in Hamburg at the start of January.

I reached the same conclusion that the OP did that there wasn't much use in getting another top-end phone when a cheaper one would do everything I need. But then I got a decent pay-out off of the insurance so justified to myself that it was worth getting another decent phone and so managed to pick up an HTC One M8 and clear €150 in profit. But yeah, had that not happened I'd have picked up a cheap mid-range phone and used the exact same applications that I'm using now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I suspect there is something of a marketing strategy in expensive phones i.e. being more desirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Take it out and show everyone I have it.

Op said phone. Not your willy. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You don't do anything more with it, having it will give you a profound sense of meaning and contentment :P.

Having 'things' and stuff will make you happy.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Main reason I bought a smartphone, and the main reason I'd get another, is for playing music on the go.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

If my boss didn't cover the contract on my S5 leaving me to just pay the 150 down payment I would've paid cash for a 5 inch moto G. My missus has it and it does everything the S5 can do but the camera isn't as good and I'd guess it won't run games as efficiently, but I don't play phone games anyway.

Another good option is buying the cheapest phone that'll let you tether your Internet and a decent tablet like a nexus 7 or something. Or just dumb phone and 3g tablet if you prefer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

mariaalice wrote: »
    You don't do anything more with it, having it will give you a profound sense of meaning and contentment :P.

Having 'things' and stuff will make you happy.

I used to be like that but I seem to have become way less materialistic compared to how I used to be, I prefer really justifying purchases I need rather than just want so I can put the money towards travelling/experiences now, which was kind of the goal of this thread lol. Wanted to see if any posters here make a good, productive use of the power the good phones have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I have a high end smart phone and a Nokia classic with no internet or apps.

I use the Nokia all the time and the Samsung is just sitting in the press.
    After you get bored of Flappy Bird and what not, I find I prefer having a smaller phone with a better battery life

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I sit on the toilet and shoot zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

It was more of a bigger screen I wanted. Had money saved up and thought why not. It was that or something else I didn't really need

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I got a Samsung Galaxy S4 about a year ago after a long time convinced I had no interest in such things. And it is a revelation. I don't go near a laptop anymore now for all the little Webby things I do day-to-day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Send Snapchats of my poops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I post random nonsense on boards with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

I have a crappy company phone so for the past couple of years I've bought an iPhone on launch day and sold it a week before the new phone came out. It costs me ~250 a year to have the latest and greatest. It's pennies a day.

I do use it for managing my home server, RDCing to my work machine and videoconferencing for work. And it's priceless while I'm traveling - trip advisor, Google maps, London Underground app, Facetiming the wife and kids, music and gaming. I'd be fecked without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

jester77 wrote: »
    i can ssh into my home servers when something comes up and i'm away from home. The funniest thing is ssh'ing into my HTPC and sending some commands to dictate something and scare the crap out of whoever is in my living room at that time :D

I don't have a clue what any of this means!

I use my smartphone to access corporate email and calendar facilities, to do online banking, access my share trading platform, and to listen to Irish radio on Tunein.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

play solitaire whilst on public transport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I can use it to VPN to client machines if there's a problem that I can quickly fix remotely - got the BIL to write me an app for iOS (jailbroken) that works like a 5250 emulator - it's incredibly handy.
    I use it for email
    I use it for calendar
    I use it for GPS
    I use it as an iPod
    I use it for FB
    I play games occasionally.
    I use it for in play betting on rugby games
    I use it for taking photographs

Advertisement