Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fight: Ali v fraizer thrilla in manila documentary

Options
  • 22-02-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭

Lads need help locating a documentary by the BBC(I think) about the thrilla in manila. It was shown on BBC about 8or 9 years ago and I recorded it at the time but i went looking for the DVD the other day and I can't find it, think I might have given a loan at some stage.
    Anyway I remember it was Called "The Fight" and there was a segment in it that showed a fight, not featuring Ali, where a guy was killed in the ring. It was significant because it was the first time ever that slow motion was used on television and they showed the guy getting pulverized in slow motion over and over. He subsequently died.
    Anyway Ali v fraizer in manila was the main focus of the film and its one I can't seem to find anywhere. I looked on YouTube but no sign of it, just the HBO documentary. Its strange because i recall at one stage watching The fight in YouTube but it seems to have been removed.
    If anyone knows where I can get it online that'd be great.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

tunguska wrote: »
    Lads need help locating a documentary by the BBC(I think) about the thrilla in manila. It was shown on BBC about 8or 9 years ago and I recorded it at the time but i went looking for the DVD the other day and I can't find it, think I might have given a loan at some stage.
    Anyway I remember it was Called "The Fight" and there was a segment in it that showed a fight, not featuring Ali, where a guy was killed in the ring. It was significant because it was the first time ever that slow motion was used on television and they showed the guy getting pulverized in slow motion over and over. He subsequently died.
    Anyway Ali v fraizer in manila was the main focus of the film and its one I can't seem to find anywhere. I looked on YouTube but no sign of it, just the HBO documentary. Its strange because i recall at one stage watching The fight in YouTube but it seems to have been removed.
    If anyone knows where I can get it online that'd be great.
    Cheers

Hi, I believe that may have been Benny Paret being killed by Emile Griffith? The most infamous footage out there. They boxed several times, and there was a lot of animosity leading up to that fatal fight.

I believe the documentary you are looking for was aired several times on Channel 4 and More 4 over the past few years. I watched it. Fascinating film It may be worth dropping those guys an email? I do recall the BBC airing this documentary.

There is bound to be someone who posts on this forum who can nail it in one for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Cheers. Yeah it was Emilie Griffith so thats the documentary alright. I'll shoot ch4 a mail but I was almost sure it was the BBC....

Cheers. Yeah it was Emilie Griffith so thats the documentary alright. I'll shoot ch4 a mail but I was almost sure it was the BBC....

I shot them (CH4) a mail and they got back to me:

"Dear Bren,

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding THRILLER IN MANILA.

We appreciate the time you have taken to write to us.

The programme THRILLER IN MANILA was first aired in November 2008 on More4. Unfortunately this is no longer on 4oD so I am unable to send a link.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us here at Channel 4 and for your interest in our programming.

Regards,

Nicole Aston
    Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

walshb wrote: »
    I shot them (CH4) a mail and they got back to me:

"Dear Bren,

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding THRILLER IN MANILA.

We appreciate the time you have taken to write to us.

The programme THRILLER IN MANILA was first aired in November 2008 on More4. Unfortunately this is no longer on 4oD so I am unable to send a link.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us here at Channel 4 and for your interest in our programming.

Regards,

Nicole Aston
    Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

Cheers Bren, but that seems like a very wishy washy response they gave to be honest. How can they not be in possession of a film they themselves made? Surely somewhere in the vaults of ch4 they have this documentary?

Cheers Bren, but that seems like a very wishy washy response they gave to be honest. How can they not be in possession of a film they themselves made? Surely somewhere in the vaults of ch4 they have this documentary?

I know. It was a class documentary. I included in my email the bit about Griffith and Paret. Sad nobody can link it. I couldn't really get any contact for the BBC. I did tweet them but not a hope these knobs tweet back. If you do get hold of it be sure to let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

8 years ago but if still looking for this fight I'll have it on my youtube channel in the next week or so. I digitised it from VCR.

Great stuff. The number of people I've told about this documentary over the years and then I when they look for it they cant find it!!! Anyway be great to see it again.

I'll let you know when uploaded and I'll send you a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No that's HBO. It's a shorter BBC one. I sent on the link to the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Advertisement