Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you eat too much fat?

Options
  • 22-02-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Started tracking my food intake recently. I've continued to eat the same food, just watching the portion control more so that I stick to my allowed calorie intake per day. I haven't ever really though about the carb- fat- protein ratio before, but since tracking I've noticed that fat is always highest (or if not, at least equal to carbs), carbs a close second and protein lowest.

Is this a problem? I don't eat meat, so I eat a lot of fish, eggs and dairy for protein. For salads, I make my own dressings using olive oil and often throw some avocado on top, which again bumps up the fat.

But all these fats are pretty good fat right, so is it a problem to eat so much of it if Im staying within my calorie requirements for the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

Oops I meant to put this in nutrition forum :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They're all decent sources so that's not a problem.

What exactly are you aiming for? Lose weight, maintain it?

Are you active etc?

I would have said you could do with upping the % of protein, though that would depend on how low it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Equal in grams or equal in calories/percent of intake?

Based on what you've said I can't imagine its an issue.

Thanks for the replies.
    They're all decent sources so that's not a problem.

What exactly are you aiming for? Lose weight, maintain it?

Are you active etc?

I would have said you could do with upping the % of protein, though that would depend on how low it is.

I was doing solely weight training for the last few weeks, because I want to be stronger. And I feel stronger, but I also got a bit chunkier. So now I'm going to incorporate a bit of cardio and watch my food intake - I want to be leaner but still be able to build some strength.
    I'm female so I'm not looking to be huge or anything, but I want to be stronger. My goal is to finally be able to do full pushups and full pullups :P
    Equal in grams or equal in calories/percent of intake?

equal in percent of intake - I'm using the myfitness pal tracker which gives the pie chart breakdown.

ash2008 wrote: »
    equal in percent of intake - I'm using the myfitness pal tracker which gives the pie chart breakdown.
    So something like 35% Fat and Carbs, 30% protein. Or some similar combination in that sort of range.
    That's fine imo.

• Advertisement

actually it's more like 20% protein (or slightly under) and the rest made up of carbs and fats, which is usually pretty equal - roughly about 40% each, but sometimes the fats would be just over 40% pushing carbs down to under 40%.
    But protein is never over 20%

According to myfitness pal, i should aim for 20% protein, 20% fat and 60% carb, so I am always way off with both carb and fat, but protein I get close enough.
    I've never really done macro tracking before, so I don't know if thats a good split or not.

ash2008 wrote: »
    According to myfitness pal, i should aim for 20% protein, 20% fat and 60% carb, so I am always way off with both carb and fat, but protein I get close enough.
    I've never really done macro tracking before, so I don't know if thats a good split or not.
    That's simply the default macros on MFP. It's not a guide really. You can change it to what ever you want.

Another common one fitness based on is 40/40/20 (P/C/F)
    Isocaloric diets aim for 33/33/33, everything roughly equal.
    A keto diet might be 30/10/60 (60% fat)

Maybe try 1g of protein per lb body-weight. But honestly, I don't think 20/40/40 (P/C/F) is an issue as long as you total calories are on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

As said there all healthy sources of fat that you're consuming, I really wouldnt worry too much. From my own experience I never really track my fat intake as I would my carbs and protein. Its done me no harm in regards to body comp, but like you, all my fats are from good healthy sources e.g. coconut oil, olive oil, avacados, fish, omega 3 supplements etc.

I look at it as you would a complex carb vs a simple\suger carb, an ambundience of surgery carbs will wreck havoc on you're body, the same can be said as in regards to bad fats.

Just remember fats are higher in calories than carbs and protein if calorie counting ever comes into play for you. Again just me personally, I never had to keep tabs on my fat intake.

Advertisement