Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Philip Cooney

I will take the money from you for the going rate at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Desperately want to go to Cuba in 2016. Need advice :-)

What's the best time of year to go there?
    What's the cheapest way of getting there?
    Where should I stay? What should I do?
    What's the best way of getting around?

It's been on my bucket list for years, and beginning to get urgent - I'd like to see it before the Americans take it over. Partner isn't too keen, but if I pay he'll go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

We're going in March, Cork-Amsterdam, and onwards to Havana. We're doing 4 nights in Havana and four nights Varadero.I think the whole thing is costing just over 3K. I'm like you not too pushed but the O/H is all for it, as you say once Fidel pops his clogs the yanks are in. Some charters from the US are starting up later in the year but is though that they are mainly aimed at Cuban expats/second generation.
    We're doing a night in AMS going, if we went out in the morning (05.55) we would only have about an hour and a half, I know some people say that's plenty but it's a holiday, I don't need to be stressed out worrying about connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

pjproby wrote: »

Threads merged,

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Do I need to know my travel dates and have flights booked before getting a visa from the embassy or can I just get a visa and then have a certain amount of time to use it?

I am thinking about visiting in February.

Also does anybody know what the best way to get there is with a view to fly on to Colombia or even somewhere else in Central America before going to Colombia. I am considering 3-4 months in South America.

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I went with Air Canada and they gave out Visas on the plane. Also the exit tax is now included in the cost of the flight so need to pay when leaving the country.

Not sure on flights to Colombia, should be possible I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ziggy_Stardust

Howdy folks,

I'm looking into booking flights to Cuba for April/May time and trying to pick the right deal.

Have any of you flown with Air Canada Dublin-Toronto-Havana? It's by far the cheapest flight (~€450 cheaper return for two people) but the flight times are long and the connections seem awkward, 11hr connection in Toronto on the return leg seems like a long wait. It's Air Canada Rouge also and from reviews online they seems like a long-haul Ryanair.

I'm not sure if an extra few quid for Virgin Atlantic is worth it for better times and connections, anyone been recently?

Thanks,
    Zig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bowandarrow

I went last April. Was debating the same as u. Had about 6 hrs going over and about 10 coming back. Going over free wifi and iPads in airport to use so time was fine. Coming back I went into Toronto did the sights bit of shopping and back out to airport in plenty of time. Since I was there I think there's a direct train from airport to city. While its s long delay I'd no issue wen it saved me the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah long layover on the way back was a pain, I went into town, look around, some good food and a movie in the VIP seats. Loved Cuba and all but some comforts you miss so this was a nice way to finish the trip,

If flying Air Canada Rouge download the app before the flight as there is no in flight entertainment, you need to stream it to your device, so bring a tablet or phone on the plane.

For me it was worth it as the total flight cost was 540, much cheaper than anything else I could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ziggy_Stardust

Thanks for the advice folks, I think ill mull over it a bit more over the weekend. A day trip to Toronto sounds nice but at the end of a holiday all ill be interested in is getting home, not a big fan of the stress that comes with airports. The flight is early out of Havana also which would mean having to spend the last night in Havana before the flight which I wasn't planning on

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Hi All,

I'm hoping you can offer some advice. Planning on going to Cuba for two weeks in June.

We're looking at going to Havana and Varadero.

Can anyone advise how much time we should spend in each place and the best way to travel from Havana to Varadero.

We're flying in and out of Havana so were planning on maybe spending 3 nights there initially and then the last night before flying home.

Should we dedicate more time than that to Havana?

Also, flights and accommodation seem to be working out quite expensive so we're wondering if it's cheap once you get there?

Any advice anyone can provide would be appreciated!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Thanks for the advice folks, I think ill mull over it a bit more over the weekend. A day trip to Toronto sounds nice but at the end of a holiday all ill be interested in is getting home, not a big fan of the stress that comes with airports. The flight is early out of Havana also which would mean having to spend the last night in Havana before the flight which I wasn't planning on

Very good direct rail service, only opened last year so trains are new and quiet and brings you right into the city centre (Union station). It's a new line so no congestion on it. About 20-30 mins each way. Only thing is it's expensive at CAD 44 for a return journey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

Bring pepper as the food is bland as Fcuk

As the locals are poor its good to bring something, fishing line / hooks / lures seem to be very popular

I bought a few cheap multitool in mcquinlans or somewhere.
    On leaving the hotel for the airport I left them in the room for the cleaners. Wages are approx 20 dollars per month. Doctors were on 30 PM !

Anyway I got on the plane and as luck would have it both seat beside me were free! I had three seats ! Karma ?

Anyway when going to a poor country - give some thing to the locals aside from cash

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147275-i99-k1555622-Tips_needed_useful_gifts_to_bring_to_Cuba_for_locals-Varadero_Matanzas_Province_Cuba.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

Varadero is a boring compound of mediocre hotels IMO

Go see as much of Cuba as possible and meet the natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

worded wrote: »
    Varadero is a boring compound of mediocre hotels IMO

Go see as much of Cuba as possible and meet the natives.

I'd completely agree there. Why go so far to a fantastically div4rrse and interesting and unique country, only to stay in a compound that could be anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

The beauty of Cuba is that you can do both. Some people want a few days on the beach to finish a holiday, especially if they've had a tough year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I'd agree with the get out of Varadero assessment. We stayed a few days at the beach after two weeks on the road which was nice, but you really can't tell the difference between the resorts there and somewhere similar in, for example, the Canaries. If that's 50% of your holiday, just save yourself the long haul flight. Get out and see more of this stunning country - Viñales, Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Santa Clara was our route. Stay in the Casas Particulares - they have the best food in Cuba by a mile.

Ignore poor feedback on Air Canada Rouge. It's not First Class in an Emirates A380, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever, especially considering the price.

I'd agree with the get out of Varadero assessment. We stayed a few days at the beach after two weeks on the road which was nice, but you really can't tell the difference between the resorts there and somewhere similar in, for example, the Canaries. If that's 50% of your holiday, just save yourself the long haul flight. Get out and see more of this stunning country - Viñales, Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Santa Clara was our route. Stay in the Casas Particulares - they have the best food in Cuba by a mile.

Ignore poor feedback on Air Canada Rouge. It's not First Class in an Emirates A380, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever, especially considering the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The beauty of Cuba is that you can do both. Some people want a few days on the beach to finish a holiday, especially if they've had a tough year.

Sorry, agreed, that's fair enough. I suppose its about getting the balance right. And I'm a hypocrite, when we went (2002 I think) we shared our time between Varadero and Havana, never even saw much else. We'd had a really hard year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Just a question for anyone who's been to Cuba, maybe you could help me out...

Heading over soon enough but all the Viazul buses are booked out on the routes we want to go. Is there any other bus that travels to the main spots...(Habana, Vinales, Trinidad, Varadero) ?? Also, what about getting shared taxis? how common or easy is it to get one of these ? I've read somewhere that taxis wait outside the bus stations and pick up people who cant get the buses ? Is this true ? Otherwise we're going to be spending a shed load of cash to ferry us from one place to the other... Thanks.

Don't know about Viazul replacement (herself booked all that) but there no shortage of taxis, you can be sure of that.

Don't know about Viazul replacement (herself booked all that) but there no shortage of taxis, you can be sure of that.

Yeah just wondering how easy it will be to get a shared taxi. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Yeah just wondering how easy it will be to get a shared taxi. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

We took a bus from Havana to Trinidad. Wasn't a great experience.
    We met a nice couple in Trinidad who were also heading to Varadero afterwards, and on the same day. We shared a taxi, worked out at maybe 10 euro a head more but the trip was 5 hours shorter. And we left early in the morning so had a full day in Varadero then.

I'd def look at sharing a taxi if possible.

We took a bus from Havana to Trinidad. Wasn't a great experience.
    We met a nice couple in Trinidad who were also heading to Varadero afterwards, and on the same day. We shared a taxi, worked out at maybe 10 euro a head more but the trip was 5 hours shorter. And we left early in the morning so had a full day in Varadero then.

I'd def look at sharing a taxi if possible.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah thats what we're hoping to do too. Hopefully we'll meet people going the same way as ourselves and can share a taxi together. As you said works out only a few quid dearer than the bus but gets they're earlier etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

There is another company whose buses seem even more common than Viazul. Can't recall the name but they can be booked through the travel companies there.

As mentioned the taxis are a better option. Get a collectivo (shared taxi), it's cheaper, faster and more fun.
    A lot of casa owners will help with booking them. You can ask about them at taxi ranks too. Don't be afraid to bargain and make sure any prices they quote you are for each person. We got caught a couple of times by drivers claiming the quote that we thought was for the total for two of us actually being per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sarah Hogan

Would love to go to Cuba. Maybe next year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Would love to go to Cuba. Maybe next year!!!
    Next year it will be full of starbucks and MacDonalds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

roundymac wrote: »
    Next year it will be full of starbucks and MacDonalds.

There's been a McDonald's in Cuba since the 80s.
    Albeit in Guantanamo bay...

Advertisement