Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Shops.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Stheno wrote: »
    They get stuff in for nothing and sell it off for whatever price?

I've paid up to 20 quid for stuff in charity shops that's a fair profit tbh

Yeah, but a lot of charity shops are small independents who have no fall back if they don't make a profit. There's no guarantee of a steady supply of good stock. The rent and rates still have to be paid, as well as utilities. Most items will sell for a lot less than 20 quid and it's in a charities interests to sell stock cheaply rather than be left with it. People compare prices between the various charity shops and word gets around. We got a lot of business from people choosing us instead of their usual charity outlets. It's no use charging the same price for something second hand that someone could buy new in Dunnes or Tesco. Unless of course it's designer stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People died in those clothes.

Hey man - it ain't a delicious meal unless something died for it and it ain't a groovy outfit unless some schlob died in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Great places to buy books. Beats Eason's prices every time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

fryup wrote: »
    question:

do charity shops have to pay the same level of rent as a regular retail outlet??

Answer: No. Hence the proliferation. Rent is the biggie. Getting a huge rebate makes it viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

I buy some clothes in charity shops, you can get some really nice stuff once in a while. Luck of the draw really. It's like walking into a lucky bag. XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭RayCon

I think they're great ... there are like permanent jumble sales. I got the complete Deadwood boxset for €3 on Tues ... :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41LzTGiNUXL.jpg

Answer: No. Hence the proliferation. Rent is the biggie. Getting a huge rebate makes it viable.

Which charities are you referring to? The one I managed had to pay the full rent and rates of any other unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Bought a t shirt with the tag still on it for 25c a while ago. The same t shirt was €18.99 in lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

charity shops are great!

books and DVDs all the time, clothes pretty often too.

My daughter got a good as new abercrombie & fitch hoodie for £3 last week.

Up north charity shops get free rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Most of my clothes and furniture and kids stuff is second hand, either passed on from friends, from charity shops or off the NZ version of ebay. My engagement ring is 'vintage' too. IMO it's more ethical than buying new stuff that's most likely made by child slaves anyway. In particular with kids stuff, if it's going to break or fall apart it's probably going to do so in its first incarnation. If it survives one kid it's probably going to go the distance. Both my husband and I grew up in privileged households which is why I think we don't have a stigma around hand-me-downs. In comparison both my dad and granny, who grew up in households where money was tight, have an aversion to second hand stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

Buy it in a boutique for €100 it's vintage, buy it in a charity shop for €1 it's weird. Just sayin...

...and the boutique probably bought it in a charity shop for a few euro anyway. Promote it as vintage and make a killing off the mugs.

kneemos wrote: »
    You can be sure they do,staff however are voluntary.

Some are run by CE schemes.

Have bought loads of stuff, from books, jeans, boots, pictures, ornaments etc, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

You can be sure they do,staff however are voluntary.

Managers get paid a wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I do enjoy a good search around a charity shop. A few months ago I bought a dress for €6 that I'd seen and wanted in the shop new a few months before, but couldn't afford. That is a serious bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

lorweld wrote: »

Minimum wage to €10 per hour, not exactly huge money for being responsible for the day to day running of a store

Wang King wrote: »
    Minimum wage to €10 per hour, not exactly huge money for being responsible for the day to day running of a store

Judging from some job sites, that's on par with what other shop managers would get.

Judging from some job sites, that's on par with what other shop managers would get.

store workers in aldi get paid more than that

Wang King wrote: »
    store workers in aldi get paid more than that

As do some long serving staff in Dunnes, Tesco etc. However they very rarely get a full DAYs work, let alone a full WEEKS.

lorweld wrote: »

Not all Managers get paid. I was unemployed at the time so I had the time on my hands and I chose not to be paid. Something to remember is that running a charity shop is running a business and means working long hours and is exactly like running any other shop, with the exception being that since staff are volunteers they aren't depending on a wage so will often let you down by not showing up, meaning that the manager is often tied to the shop. I don't really understand why so many people get their knickers in a twist about managers in charity shops getting paid. Why shouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not all Managers get paid. I was unemployed at the time so I had the time on my hands and I chose not to be paid. Something to remember is that running a charity shop is running a business and means working long hours and is exactly like running any other shop, with the exception being that since staff are volunteers they aren't depending on a wage so will often let you down by not showing up, meaning that the manager is often tied to the shop. I don't really understand why so many people get their knickers in a twist about managers in charity shops getting paid. Why shouldn't they?

It's not really like any other shop.
    You don't order stock,have to meet sales targets or deal with suppliers.
    In fact I'm struggling to figure out what you do actually do.

• Advertisement

I get the feeling that you're just taking the piss now. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about so maybe you should call it a day before you embarrass yourself further.

I get the feeling that you're just taking the piss now. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about so maybe you should call it a day before you embarrass yourself further.

Not embarrassed at all.
    Just curious.

As do some long serving staff in Dunnes, Tesco etc. However they very rarely get a full DAYs work, let alone a full WEEKS.

Dunne's and Tesco mangers are paid a lot more than minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Charity shops do have suppliers.

The stuff coming in is very mixed, including an amount of unsaleable junk. There is work in sorting, checking things, cleaning, pricing (not always easy, especially with the occasional higher-value items that turn up) and general stock management. My local charity shop also arranges collection and delivery for bulky items. There is a fair range of duties involved in running a charity shop.

Charity shops do have suppliers.

The stuff coming in is very mixed, including an amount of unsaleable junk. There is work in sorting, checking things, cleaning, pricing (not always easy, especially with the occasional higher-value items that turn up) and general stock management. My local charity shop also arranges collection and delivery for bulky items. There is a fair range of duties involved in running a charity shop.

I can see how they need someone trustworthy for basic stuff such as locking up,tallying,staff management and consistent pricing and the like,but it's not the same as a normal shop manager afaics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I can see how they need someone trustworthy for basic stuff such as locking up,tallying,staff management and consistent pricing and the like,but it's not the same as a normal shop manager afaics.
    It's not exactly the same, but it's not fundamentally different either. And I am sure that most charity shop managers are paid a good deal less than "normal" shop managers.

I don't think you have a basis for dissing their role.

It's not exactly the same, but it's not fundamentally different either. And I am sure that most charity shop managers are paid a good deal less than "normal" shop managers.

I don't think you have a basis for dissing their role.

Not dissing . Somebody said the two were the same,I said they were different.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which charities are you referring to? The one I managed had to pay the full rent and rates of any other unit.
    Charities can request rates exemptions in Dubin
    http://www.wheel.ie/news/charities-can-currently-seek-exemption-commercial-property-rates-dublin-city-council-area

If on the other hand a lot is empty then the owner would have to pay half rates on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I paid 10 pence for an interesting looking vinyl album in an oxfam shop in West London about 40 years ago near where I went to school. I took the disc to a boutique in the King's Road in Chelsea that had just been opened by a young couple. The owner of the boutique gave me £5 for it, which was a fortune for me at the time.

The owner of the boutique was Malcolm McClaren and the girl working with him was (Now Dame) Vivienne Westwood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I know a woman who does all her Christmas shopping in charity shops. She's a miserable old biddy.

Advertisement