Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'No Rent Supplement' to be outlawed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

hdowney wrote: »
    quite simply rents will increase. anyone who was letting a property on the borderline for RA and was a 'No RA Accepted' advertiser will increase to above the threshold and therefore cannot accept RA tenants for the simple reason that RA tenants must get a property with rent within the limits set by the Gov't
    It's known that rents above the published limits are being sanctioned by the cwo's so this is no guarantee. Landlords will just need bank statements from now on from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

having worked for and talked to many landlords, they all only take RA/ RS once.

Ive seen and been told about houses coming back filthy, mould all over everything , appliances and windows broken, electricity meters interfered with to illegally get free electricity, gas meters that had been bet with hammers. None of it reported. Thats before the noise complaints, gardai calling round and shouting matches at 3am in the middle of the street.

I would gladly make the statement that a large percentage, verging on a majority of RA tenants are the single most damaging thing you can put in a rental property.

Even the very good ones who try their hardest, simply do not have the money to maintain a house to a proper standard. With the best will in the world, they still don't have the money to pay for oil to keep the heating on, or to pay a plumber / electrician in an emergency when the landlord is not available.

LL's will find a way around this and I hope they do, I would never rent a property to a social welfare tenant based on all the horrors I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Can they ask for bank statements as proof of income to cover rent ?
    If so they can use that as a reason to rent or not rent to someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The only way a landlord should accept a RA tenant is by having the RA lodged directly into the landlords bank account and the remainder (the portion to be paid by the tenant) garnished from the tenants income at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

having worked for and talked to many landlords, they all only take RA/ RS once.

Ive seen and been told about houses coming back filthy, mould all over everything , appliances and windows broken, electricity meters interfered with to illegally get free electricity, gas meters that had been bet with hammers. None of it reported. Thats before the noise complaints, gardai calling round and shouting matches at 3am in the middle of the street.

I would gladly make the statement that a large percentage, verging on a majority of RA tenants are the single most damaging thing you can put in a rental property.

Even the very good ones who try their hardest, simply do not have the money to maintain a house to a proper standard. With the best will in the world, they still don't have the money to pay for oil to keep the heating on, or to pay a plumber / electrician in an emergency when the landlord is not available.

Your statement is wrong .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

How is outlawing a LL from taking rent allowance going to make a difference,when rent allowance doesnt meet the market rent? Most LL dont rent to rent allowance tenants, not because of the type of individuals. But because rent allowance is simply too low for most places on the market.

The housing shortage is also due to local authorities, deciding they were going to sell their social housing to the people in it. But never actually replaced the tens of thousands of homes out of the social housing system. Even now most social housing in Dublin is such low density. Eg there is plenty of 2 storey council houses around Dublin 1. While the private apartment beside them are 6/7 storeys of high density housing. Local authorities should be penalised for selling their social housing in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

"I would gladly make the statement that a large percentage, verging on a majority of RA tenants are the single most damaging thing you can put in a rental property" Anything to back this up with or I have to call this out as a very ignorant sweeping statement.

How about families with small children ? How about Students , how about dare I say it Foreign People / Throws out usual suspects.

I have just applied for RA and guess what I paid out 14, 000 in my last paycheque 6 months ago. Do you see any merit in differentiating between people who have never worked and those who have been recently made redundant ? My apartment ( although I rent I have lived here for 2 years and treat it as my home ) is in better condition now than when I moved in. I will continue to maintain it as I treat this as my home.

Landlords, this is your property and I completely understand that you have to protect it so please do diligent research before allowing people to move in.

"I would gladly make the statement that a large percentage, verging on a majority of RA tenants are the single most damaging thing you can put in a rental property" Anything to back this up with or I have to call this out as a very ignorant sweeping statement.

How about families with small children ? How about Students , how about dare I say it Foreign People / Throws out usual suspects.

I have just applied for RA and guess what I paid out 14, 000 in my last paycheque 6 months ago. Do you see any merit in differentiating between people who have never worked and those who have been recently made redundant ? My apartment ( although I rent I have lived here for 2 years and treat it as my home ) is in better condition now than when I moved in. I will continue to maintain it as I treat this as my home.

Landlords, this is your property and I completely understand that you have to protect it so please do diligent research before allowing people to move in.

yes, I do, if somebody moves into a house while employed, falls on hard times and takes up RA , then goes back to employment and gets off it , I've no issue with that, and in reality have seen many landlords who are staunchly anti-RA are quite amenable to this arrangement. The problem comes from the long term unemployed and people who show up on day 1 expecting to pay with RA, those tenants always leave a house in a worse than wear and tear state in my experience.

I do not have a peer reviewed study to prove my findings unfortunately, but I would argue that upwards of 50 landlords across 8 counties and a 100% negative response rate can't add up to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

I do not have a peer reviewed study to prove my findings unfortunately, but I would argue that upwards of 50 landlords across 8 counties and a 100% negative response rate can't add up to nothing.[/QUOTE]

So that's a no then ? :cool:

I do not have a peer reviewed study to prove my findings unfortunately, but I would argue that upwards of 50 landlords across 8 counties and a 100% negative response rate can't add up to nothing.

So that's a no then ? :cool:[/QUOTE]

if I was wrong surely landlords would jump at the chance to take guaranteed long term government money, instead of a law having to be brought in to stop them saying no.

if it was just a tax thing it would mean upwards of 80% of properties advertised on daft are being let by tax evaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

An overwhelming weightof anecdotes is enough for me.

As EC said, there is a reason why LLs steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

It's not guaranteed ! Far from it. I would say having to deal with the pen pushers in welfare who have no grip on the real world is nearly worse when things go wrong.

if I was wrong surely landlords would jump at the chance to take guaranteed long term government money, instead of a law having to be brought in to stop them saying no.

if it was just a tax thing it would mean upwards of 80% of properties advertised on daft are being let by tax evaders.[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dumb Landlord: I dont want to rent to you because you are on RS
    Tenant :ZOMG. Discrimination!

Smart Landlord: Im sorry, the apartment has been taken by someone else.
    Tenant: Kthxbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

An overwhelming weightof anecdotes is enough for me.

As EC said, there is a reason why LLs steer clear.

Back in the boom my father used to let out to RA and jumped at the chance, he had a few bad experiences, but back then he managed to get the social to pay for repairs( I'm not sure how?), these days he won't touch them with a barge pole. He's had to pay for repairs and a skip for a backgarden full of bins, ~150 rubbish bins was the estimate, I think he spent €5,000, between skips and repairing the house, the bastards took the staircase, no messing, you walk into the house and the bloody stairs was gone. Now he let the auctioneer look after getting tennants in as the house is in a different county, so he never met them face to face, after that he just said "professionals only" after that.

He thinks they burned it in the fire, there was a ladder where the staircase was to get upstairs.

syklops wrote: »

people on SW can be some of the most litigious in the country id say its more likely you'll have a few ambulance chasing chancer solicitors up in court trying to win a bit of compo for irelands 'must unfortunate'

Back in the boom my father used to let out to RA and jumped at the chance, he had a few bad experiences, but back then he managed to get the social to pay for repairs( I'm not sure how?), these days he won't touch them with a barge pole. He's had to pay for repairs and a skip for a backgarden full of bins, ~150 rubbish bins was the estimate, I think he spent €5,000, between skips and repairing the house, the bastards took the staircase, no messing, you walk into the house and the bloody stairs was gone. Now he let the auctioneer look after getting tennants in as the house is in a different county, so he never met them face to face, after that he just said "professionals only" after that.

He thinks they burned it in the fire, there was a ladder where the staircase was to get upstairs.

i wish I could say that shocked me, but I've seen the banisters taken off the stairs and burned in the fire, internal doors cut up for firewood too, your father unfortunately learned the hard way about the issues that arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Months deposit, and months rent up front will prevent it from helping a lot of RA tenants.

If a the landlord demand that they pay in advance, rather than in arrears, this will mean constant eviction notices whilst the RA tenant waits for the welfare to come though in arrear.

the_syco wrote: »
    Months deposit, and months rent up front will prevent it from helping a lot of RA tenants.

If a the landlord demand that they pay in advance, rather than in arrears, this will mean constant eviction notices whilst the RA tenant waits for the welfare to come though in arrear.

those are like a red rag to a bull though , eviction notices move the landlord from the category of 'sound lad' to 'b*stard conspiring against me' and the revenge damage comes in to play.

Payment in advance is surely required by almost all landlords.....

So I guess that makes this whole conversation pretty much redundant as that is not something that RA tenants can generally do

those are like a red rag to a bull though , eviction notices move the landlord from the category of 'sound lad' to 'b*stard conspiring against me' and the revenge damage comes in to play.

Yup, especially when arrears arise, it's tear the place down time, "fcuking not paying rent this month, toilets blocked, have to pay for that" well then stop flushing baby wipes down there!? "The front door is squeaking", " the neighbours are noisy, I'm not paying for that"

But they wouldn't pay for the poxy bins? There was rats everywhere, embarrassing having to apologise to people that bought the houses next door, and walk away with your tail between your legs, you'd swear you did the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Yup, especially when arrears arise, it's tear the place down time, "fcuking not paying rent this month, toilets blocked, have to pay for that" well then stop flushing baby wipes down there!? "The front door is squeaking", " the neighbours are noisy, I'm not paying for that"

But they wouldn't pay for the poxy bins? There was rats everywhere, embarrassing having to apologise to people that bought the houses next door, and walk away with your tail between your legs, you'd swear you did the damage.

Watch your language please. There is no need for it.

Watch your language please. There is no need for it.

Apologies, there isn't. Just trying to convey language used.

Sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rent is always up front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

ted1 wrote: »
    Rent is always up front

some LLs will accommodate rent in arrears for RA tenants, crazy as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Now what to do with 90,000 + currently on rent supplement .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

i wish I could say that shocked me, but I've seen the banisters taken off the stairs and burned in the fire, internal doors cut up for firewood too, your father unfortunately learned the hard way about the issues that arise.

I've seen doors and floorboards removed. Before I get attacked, emphasis on the seen part.
    The easiest work around is employer reference and bank statements. If a tenant refuses to give one, there's plenty more of them out their.
    I know my dad puts in no ra in listings not because he won't accept it, but because you still get people ringing asking will he take it even though it's miles away from covering the rent.
    Only a desperate landlord would rent to RA tenants in the current climate

I've seen doors and floorboards removed. Before I get attacked, emphasis on the seen part.
    The easiest work around is employer reference and bank statements. If a tenant refuses to give one, there's plenty more of them out their.
    I know my dad puts in no ra in listings not because he won't accept it, but because you still get people ringing asking will he take it even though it's miles away from covering the rent.
    Only a desperate landlord would rent to RA tenants in the current climate

Direct payment to land lord and damage repair money from the state would solve the issue.

Direct payment to land lord and damage repair money from the state would solve the issue.

It sure would. Why is it so hard to just pay the LLs directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

syklops wrote: »

Some landlords will certainly find a way to behave illegally. http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24372509

• Advertisement

It sure would. Why is it so hard to just pay the LLs directly?

The state doesnt want to pay for scumbags

Advertisement