Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock is unppopular?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Dr Dre's **** You is a perfect example of what I hate about rap, it's vulgar and retarded, at least try some innuendo,

You realize that's from an album in a specific style that is 16 years old, and doesn't represent the entire genre?
    everything that is horrifically crass and unoriginal about today's society.

Uhhhhhhhh christ. What a boring, bull**** cliché.
    It's more than possible for an entire society to be under the sway of a mass delusion, a chorus of voices chanting the same words does not make them right and I'm not saying this about Kanye but pointing out that just because there is a consensus among a large minority/majority doesn't make them right, it's possible for the group to be wrong sometimes!

Don't think anyone has argued that in this thread.
    By all means though, post an example of what you think would be an example of his best work, I am very curious about why people think him such a god.

Well I want to point out I did not say that; but you could do worse than the following two tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7X0HGtxKQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJos0ifG7T0

As I said though, his output is really really broad; these are both from the same album, and don't sound anything like the production he did for Jay-Z, or the earlier solo albums, or particularly like the two albums that came afterwards. Which was part of the point I was making, he's a hugely varied output.

And Emperor's New Clothes is a pretty poor analogy, because he's a self-made man in so many ways, rather than being a manufactured star.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Undergod wrote: »
    You realize that's from an album in a specific style that is 16 years old, and doesn't represent the entire genre?

Uhhhhhhhh christ. What a boring, bull**** cliché.

Don't think anyone has argued that in this thread.

Well I want to point out I did not say that; but you could do worse than the following two tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7X0HGtxKQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJos0ifG7T0

As I said though, his output is really really broad; these are both from the same album, and don't sound anything like the production he did for Jay-Z, or the earlier solo albums, or particularly like the two albums that came afterwards. Which was part of the point I was making, he's a hugely varied output.

And Emperor's New Clothes is a pretty poor analogy, because he's a self-made man in so many ways, rather than being a manufactured star.

Oh yawn, another multiquoter, ffs you are now boring me, could you be anymore of a forum poster cliche?! Yes! You, you are the cliche! I'm out to enjoy the day outside, you can multiquote this post, ramp up some thanks and support from your friends with your 'acerbic, witty insights' as you systematically take apart this post all according to the predictable internet geek forum poster formula. Ahahahaha, those Kanye songs are awful, just awful, especially that All of the Lights Song, what a fcing joke, are you trolling me? Yes! You are! Or your brain is seriously malfunctioning, you're under the Kanye cult spell dude! Some guy talking over samples, there's feck all musicality, ,the melodies are profoundly generic, like ear candy floss, the lyrics are crap and yes it's completely emperor's new clothes but you missed the point of my analogy so meh, I'm not going to get into a classic tit for tat post war with you because I simply don't care as much you do about forum cred. Most rap is still the same, suck my dick, look at all my money etc it's a joke of genre mostly and yes crass, I mean come let's pull one's head out of one's ass and be honest here, rap is simplistic, rudimentary music with a dude rhyming words, and most of it is not poetry with some rare few exceptions. And a lot of it is symptomatic of the crassness of this consumerist society is, Kim's ass broke the internet over there, x factor over here, cgi wankfest superhero film in front, generic fps COD clone x10023 behind you, mind you it's always been like this but whereas Return of the Mac and Mr Boombastic were pleasant on there ear, Kanye's music is an assault of pure, unadulerated ****tiness, it sucks as this generation and this decade do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

It's hardly fair to tarnish all rap with the one brush. Rap is a huge genre of music with multiple styles and subdivisions. If a person can't find something to relate to they really haven't looked hard enough. You'll find that quite a lot of rap focuses on political issues and not the gangsta stuff and there's also quite a lot of experimental stuff out there. And turning your nose up at a genre because of mainstream cliches is a pretty silly thing to do with any genre of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Oh yawn, another multiquoter, ffs you are now boring me, could you be anymore of a forum poster cliche?! Yes! You, you are the cliche! I'm out to enjoy the day outside, you can multiquote this post, ramp up some thanks and support from your friends with your 'acerbic, witty insights' as you systematically take apart this post all according to the predictable internet geek forum poster formula. Ahahahaha, those Kanye songs are awful, just awful, especially that All of the Lights Song, what a fcing joke, are you trolling me? Yes! You are! Or your brain is seriously malfunctioning, you're under the Kanye cult spell dude! Some guy talking over samples, there's feck all musicality, ,the melodies are profoundly generic, like ear candy floss, the lyrics are crap and yes it's completely emperor's new clothes but you missed the point of my analogy so meh, I'm not going to get into a classic tit for tat post war with you because I simply don't care as much you do about forum cred.
    It's great that you're so passionate about this but can you please illustrate it in a way that doesn't involve being a dick. No need to insult other posters, by all means argue your point but don't make it personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Mar Mar Marmalade

Past year or so rock music in general seems to have gotten a bit more decent. I think it's just a matter of what's in at the time, you pointed it out yourself sure over the decades and plus even during these years the heavier side of music (which includes us) wasn't in the top charts like everyone seems to point out as if they were. I doubt in 10-15 years Jay-Q or Kanye South will be heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Oh yawn, another multiquoter, ffs you are now boring me, could you be anymore of a forum poster cliche?! Yes! You, you are the cliche! I'm out to enjoy the day outside, you can multiquote this post, ramp up some thanks and support from your friends with your 'acerbic, witty insights' as you systematically take apart this post all according to the predictable internet geek forum poster formula. Ahahahaha, those Kanye songs are awful, just awful, especially that All of the Lights Song, what a fcing joke, are you trolling me? Yes! You are! Or your brain is seriously malfunctioning, you're under the Kanye cult spell dude! Some guy talking over samples, there's feck all musicality, ,the melodies are profoundly generic, like ear candy floss, the lyrics are crap and yes it's completely emperor's new clothes but you missed the point of my analogy so meh, I'm not going to get into a classic tit for tat post war with you because I simply don't care as much you do about forum cred. Most rap is still the same, suck my dick, look at all my money etc it's a joke of genre mostly and yes crass, I mean come let's pull one's head out of one's ass and be honest here, rap is simplistic, rudimentary music with a dude rhyming words, and most of it is not poetry with some rare few exceptions. And a lot of it is symptomatic of the crassness of this consumerist society is, Kim's ass broke the internet over there, x factor over here, cgi wankfest superhero film in front, generic fps COD clone x10023 behind you, mind you it's always been like this but whereas Return of the Mac and Mr Boombastic were pleasant on there ear, Kanye's music is an assault of pure, unadulerated ****tiness, it sucks as this generation and this decade do.

All of the Lights doesn't contain a sample. Its a piece multi-layered brilliance. Like seriously how many layers are there? Jaw dropping production. I suggest you invite a time machine if you haven't attempted already lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nero707

sure, rock isn't the popular 'in' thing right now, but since when has popularity been a measure of excellence?

It's kind of a silly topic really, why is rock unpopular?, I might as well start a why is Jazz unpopular thread or why is White Power Music unpopular?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Astro Zombie

I think this thread looks like it got a bit derailed. I can see the OP's point - since the 00's there has been no defining rock sub genre. After the rise and fall of emo and the brief sort of revival of heavy metal in the mid 00's there hasn't been any proper rock out there. Now I don't consider garage rock or indie or whatever you want to call it to fall in to that catagory, I'm talking about the kind of stuff you get in the Metal Hammer, not the kind of stuff you get in the NME. And yes, there is plenty of unimaginative albeit immaculately produced electronic pop music out there and some people are content with the simplicity of a catchy wee tune but some people just want face melting solos and growling vocals. Now, I'm into enough music that I know where to go to find the bands I want to and I'm well able to use the internet to find more of themwhen I want to, BUT there is a huge problem that we are now faced with - there is a definite lack of a scene. The brotherhood of the metal head appears to be dead. There has been virtually no big metal/punk gigs worth going to in this country for about six years now. I used to anticipate there being at least five bigger gigs in Dublin that I'd want to go see in a year. I don't think that I've ventured into the capital since the last time Metallica played. You can carry on going on about it not mattering what's in the mainstream, but it matters because there will be no gigs to go to any more. You don't even get the token rock performance at marlay park anymore. And the more that metal/punk/rock/grunge/whatever fades away and becomes less culturally relevant, the less kids will get into it, less of them will want to pick up a BC Rich, and the less new proper music we will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

since the 00's there has been no defining rock sub genre. After the rise and fall of emo and the brief sort of revival of heavy metal in the mid 00's there hasn't been any proper rock out there.
    Emo dates back to mid-80's Washington DC and went mainstream as early as 1994 with Sunny Day Real Estate. Even in the early 00's it was nothing new.
    Now I don't consider garage rock or indie or whatever you want to call it to fall in to that catagory, I'm talking about the kind of stuff you get in the Metal Hammer, not the kind of stuff you get in the NME.
    You mean like Napalm Death? :)

201204251300384926.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I think this thread looks like it got a bit derailed. I can see the OP's point - since the 00's there has been no defining rock sub genre. After the rise and fall of emo and the brief sort of revival of heavy metal in the mid 00's there hasn't been any proper rock out there. Now I don't consider garage rock or indie or whatever you want to call it to fall in to that catagory, I'm talking about the kind of stuff you get in the Metal Hammer, not the kind of stuff you get in the NME. And yes, there is plenty of unimaginative albeit immaculately produced electronic pop music out there and some people are content with the simplicity of a catchy wee tune but some people just want face melting solos and growling vocals. Now, I'm into enough music that I know where to go to find the bands I want to and I'm well able to use the internet to find more of themwhen I want to, BUT there is a huge problem that we are now faced with - there is a definite lack of a scene. The brotherhood of the metal head appears to be dead. There has been virtually no big metal/punk gigs worth going to in this country for about six years now. I used to anticipate there being at least five bigger gigs in Dublin that I'd want to go see in a year. I don't think that I've ventured into the capital since the last time Metallica played. You can carry on going on about it not mattering what's in the mainstream, but it matters because there will be no gigs to go to any more. You don't even get the token rock performance at marlay park anymore. And the more that metal/punk/rock/grunge/whatever fades away and becomes less culturally relevant, the less kids will get into it, less of them will want to pick up a BC Rich, and the less new proper music we will get.

If big means outdoors in a field then I guess not, but big in terms of top gigs to go to 2014 imo was one of the most productive years for gigs for me.

A lifespan of mainly 2007-2010 these kind of token rock performances? Foos/NIN(2007),The Who(2007),Aerosmith (2007) Muse(2008), Metallica(2008&2009), Green Day/Paramore(2010)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Astro Zombie

Emo dates back to mid-80's Washington DC and went mainstream as early as 1994 with Sunny Day Real Estate. Even in the early 00's it was nothing new.

Well done on having such a great knowledge of rubbish music. Didn't say it was new either, mainly just acknowledging that Green Day and My Chemical Romance were among the last rock bands to be culturally relevant.
    You mean like Napalm Death? :)

You know fine well that NME doesn't look like that any more.

All in all, great input there.
    A lifespan of mainly 2007-2010 these kind of token rock performances? Foos/NIN(2007),The Who(2007),Aerosmith (2007) Muse(2008), Metallica(2008&2009), Green Day/Paramore(2010)

Yes, these are the gigs I'm talking about. Along with the likes of Ozzy and Maiden playing in the O2. I'm not saying that there are no gigs, there are some great bands both local and international playing all over the country, but these bigger gigs seem to be fewer and farther between. The festivals in this country are grand for what they are, but it would be nice to see there being something leaning a little more on the heavy side. Sure, the Foos are coming this year - but what's going on with that support?

Advertisement