Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jameson Dublin International Film Festival - JDIFF 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

When the website implodes under the weight of people queuing up and you've already booked.

109169f8b881830b3e5c861351be38d8.jpg.gif

Didn't have the luxury of the calendar function earlier though, which meant I had to have a tab open for each film to see how the timing worked out on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

e_e wrote: »
    Didn't have the luxury of the calendar function earlier though, which meant I had to have a tab open for each film to see how the timing worked out on the day.

I talked to Kamil at the festival office and made some suggestions. One was to put the times out front to avoid just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ping pong

My daughter and I would love to see The Tale of Princess Kaguya. She is 16 years old and the movie is suitable for children. The website says strictly over 18s for all screenings. I have not been to the festival before. Do you think it will be ok to bring her to the screening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

ping pong wrote: »
    My daughter and I would love to see The Tale of Princess Kaguya. She is 16 years old and the movie is suitable for children. The website says strictly over 18s for all screenings. I have not been to the festival before. Do you think it will be ok to bring her to the screening?

I've just bought a ticket for that film and the email says it's strictly over 18s. Perhaps that's just a standard email, or perhaps not. Of course the film is suitable for children, but perhaps the festival is for adults only so smaller children don't distract the general audience. It's a bit harsh, but I can see where they're coming from. If I were you I'd pop them an email and find out for sure.

• Advertisement

It's going to be my first time attending the festival. I'm going to The Tale of Princess of Kaguya and The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness. That's a nice little bit of programming from the organisers. A day in the hands of Studio Ghilbi! I haven't been in The Lighthouse (or Dublin) in a few months. I'm grinning like made here. Isn't going to the cinema just bloody great!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All screenings are over 18s because most of the films haven't been submitted for certification from the Irish Censor Board. The only way the festival can show the films is by operating as a membership club, which you must be over 18 to join.

If your daughter looks old enough to pass for 18 just buy the tickets and go. Nobody is going to ask for ID.

It's going to be my first time attending the festival. I'm going to The Tale of Princess of Kaguya and The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness. That's a nice little bit of programming from the organisers. A day in the hands of Studio Ghilbi! I haven't been in The Lighthouse (or Dublin) in a few months. I'm grinning like made here. Isn't going to the cinema just bloody great!
    The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness is an utter delight! Should be great with an audience too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ping pong

All screenings are over 18s because most of the films haven't been submitted for certification from the Irish Censor Board. The only way the festival can show the films is by operating as a membership club, which you must be over 18 to join.

If your daughter looks old enough to pass for 18 just buy the tickets and go. Nobody is going to ask for ID.

If that is the reason it is over 18s I will take my chances. Thanks for letting me know. We a re really looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting breakdown... Might just be me but the programme does seem very light this year.

i4e6pe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Over 18s rule is a bit daft for some screenings, especially some of the reissues, and is generally not strictly policed. They showed Bambi a few years ago and half the place was populated with kids, and 32a was full of friends and family, a lot of whom were still in school. I think the rule is impossible to enforce in those cases, especially when you've got Gráinne in the media trying to downplay any perceived "exclusivity" of the festival, and making the point that Julie Andrews is a popular, universally-loved guest. But mums and dads can't bring their kids to Savoy One to see her introduce The Sound of Music? Unlikely.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkaron

Well, at least there's Dead Lands and Sils Maria... guess I won't be spending that much into it this year...

I kinda miss the early screenings they used to have on weekend mornings in the Savoy. Those were some of my best festival experiences.

I agree. They were excellent. Apart from Garden State, when they stopped the film and restarted it, solely to accommodate the non-stop influx of latecomers, fumbling around in the dark while clutching their coffees. That was ridiculous.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

ping pong wrote: »
    If that is the reason it is over 18s I will take my chances. Thanks for letting me know. We a re really looking forward to it.

This film has been classified by IFCO, and received a PG cert, so I don't think there's any reason you shouldn't be able to go to the festival screening with your daughter. The film is released in cinemas on March 27th, in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Yeah I'd miss the early Savoy screenings too. A few of the recent ones weren't that well attended so maybe that's why they're scaled back.

They showed White Elephant a couple of years ago which was nice to see on that big screen but it was barely half full. Wrong cinema and time slot to be screening it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Is it not over-18's because it's a Jameson event?

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd miss the early Savoy screenings too. A few of the recent ones weren't that well attended so maybe that's why they're scaled back.

Yeah. There wasn't a huge crowd at 20 Feet From Stardom last year, which was a shame. Seeing that in Savoy One was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Anything worth seeing at the Jameson film festival?

I'm seeing 30 films overall but Princess Kaguya, Force Majeure, A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence and Listen Up Philip are the ones I'm most looking forward to. All of the films I'm going to seem to be pretty well received though anyway. Honestly you could throw a dart at the program and land on something interesting.

I've already seen The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness and can't recommend that one highly enough, especially if you're a Studio Ghibli fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkaron

I'm gonna see a bit over 10 films, but mostly looking forward to Dead Lands and Sils Maria! Looking at previous Surprise Films, there might be a chance the one from this year will interest me. Let's hope so anyway.

The Price of Desire was really poor. Glad I only saw it as part of my season ticket and didn't end up paying 20 euro for it.

On the plus side though, the live music played before it was lovely and I guess the festival is only uphill from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

If people checked the release calendar,they're very excited about seeing previews,at least one of which opens next Friday.Why not see something else in that slot?

The majority of what I'm seeing doesn't come out for a few months but I'm still throwing in a few safe bets too I just really want to see.

Plus I'm always catching up on new movies anyway so it's nice to be freeing a slot that would be later in the year instead. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Anyone go to The Water Diviner tonight? Been looking forward to seeing it since last year, interested to hear any opinions? It's all praise on twitter at the moment but they're hardly going to tell Crowe it was rubbish while he's still in the country.

I have two tickets for a screening in The Lighthouse tomorrow. I bought them separately, but will I be able to sit beside my mate. I don't see any seating info on the ticket.

Yeah it's free seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I enjoyed The Salvation, an effective Danish take on the revenge Western.

99 Homes was slightly melodramatic at times but still an interesting watch.

e_e wrote: »
    Yeah it's free seating.

Great, thanks!

• Advertisement

Anyone go to The Water Diviner tonight? Been looking forward to seeing it since last year, interested to hear any opinions? It's all praise on twitter at the moment but they're hardly going to tell Crowe it was rubbish while he's still in the country.

I thought it was excellent and I think the reception it got was genuine and not a polite "let's all applaud 'cos the director is here" reaction. The lengthy applause seemed to even rise as it progressed.
    Cynics may sneer and accuse him of a pedestrian style of filmmaking, but it is an accomplished debut. More importantly, it is a good (historically important) story, well told. There are solid performances throughout. The script is peppered with subtle humour that never feels forced or incongruous. Crowe's own performance is his best in some time.
    He was a very endearing presence, an excellent interviewee, very engaging and candid. He was clearly on a high in the wake of its triumphant reception, and was very relaxed, borne out by his subsequent Late Late Show appearance.
    Most people seemed to be awarding it four stars in the voting afterwards. It may yet prove to be among the most popular films of the festival.

Advertisement