Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

energlaze vs triple glazing

Options
  • 17-02-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Anyone here any experience with Energlaze glass ?

My folks are thinking of redoing the house with it, their other option is triple glazing.

is there a standard test thats carried out to "Rate" glass or do I have to go from peoples experience ?

thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

from my understanding of energlaze, they simply replace the glazing.

which means the success or otherwise depends on the type of frame thats there.
    For example if its a aluminium frame with no thermal break it would be practically useless

triple glazed would be a good solution, but put everything into perspective...
    how well insulated and air tight is the house?
    what are the current windows?
    whats the current construction method in the walls and floors?
    whats the heating?

get quotes for both.... and also get quotes for double glazed.

energlaz will probably tell you their glazing has a u value of 0.8 or whatever... but that cannot take the frame into account.
    when a triple glaze company says their "whole window u value" is 0.8, its the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks syd

my understanding is they are offering either replacing the glass or the whole lot.
    MY Dad was of the impression the glazing was gas filled which caused less heat transfer ?

they quoted 20% more than the others for full replacement with double rather than triple glazing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Mental changing the glass and not frames unless there in a conservation building

RobAMerc wrote: »
    thanks syd

my understanding is they are offering either replacing the glass or the whole lot.
    MY Dad was of the impression the glazing was gas filled which caused less heat transfer ?

they quoted 20% more than the others for full replacement with double rather than triple glazing.

what did "the others" quote for? double or triple glazed?
    what kind of frame are you looking for, PVC?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP, I think you need to make sure you are comparing like with like here across the full spectrum of what you are looking at.

I have recently used them for both reglazing and for a new window and I must say we are very happy from start to finish. DG in both cases
    The DG reglazing was for big panes [ 7 feet by 5 feet] that the seals had gone in due to basketball impacts and massive permanent condensation on the inside of the unit.

The existing Alu frames are thermally broken and the colour in PVC was impossible to match so we were looking at 4 additional windows so we went with reglaze. Two windows done in a hour.
    The price was half of what new DG framed windows would have cost.

They have an interesting way of replacing full windows which does not involve any cutting back of the inner reveals.

I was happy for that technique in the back bedroom but would not have been so in the front down stairs.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what did "the others" quote for? double or triple glazed?
    what kind of frame are you looking for, PVC?

The other crowd ( sorry cannot remember name ) quoted for PVC with triple glazing.

OP, I think you need to make sure you are comparing like with like here across the full spectrum of what you are looking at.

I have recently used them for both reglazing and for a new window and I must say we are very happy from start to finish. DG in both cases
    The DG reglazing was for big panes [ 7 feet by 5 feet] that the seals had gone in due to basketball impacts and massive permanent condensation on the inside of the unit.

The existing Alu frames are thermally broken and the colour in PVC was impossible to match so we were looking at 4 additional windows so we went with reglaze. Two windows done in a hour.
    The price was half of what new DG framed windows would have cost.

They have an interesting way of replacing full windows which does not involve any cutting back of the inner reveals.

I was happy for that technique in the back bedroom but would not have been so in the front down stairs.

Energlaze are offering to reglaze the current windows or full new windows for 20% more - both double glazed with their "special glass".

The competitor is quoting 20% less than Energlaze for full new windows with triple glazing.

I am really looking for a comparison of like with like.
    Is energlaze double full new windows worth 20% more than triple glazed full new windows from competitor (both uPVC )?

Is energlaze double full new windows worth 20% more than triple glazed full new windows from competitor (both uPVC )?

highly highly unlikely.

what u value is the other competitor quoting for? and will they provide a datasheet and verification?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I am really looking for a comparison of like with like.

But you are not comparing like with like and you are not providing enough info.

What I will say is that good double glazing will outperform cheap triple glazing, but good triple glazing will outperform good double glazing.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    highly highly unlikely.

what u value is the other competitor quoting for? and will they provide a datasheet and verification?

OK, thanks, so are the windows independently rated ? And will they have proof of this rating ?
    2 stroke wrote: »
    But you are not comparing like with like and you are not providing enough info.

What I will say is that good double glazing will outperform cheap triple glazing, but good triple glazing will outperform good double glazing.

So what do you need to know ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

I have white pvc double glaze windows, they are about 13yrs old, and manufactured by a well know munster based window manufacturer, I am thinking of replacing them with either a triple glaze or energlaze double glaze, I am only interested in replacing the glass and not the frame, The house is timber frame and fully insulated etc, Any feedback would be appreciated, Are all double and triple glaze now filled with a gas to improve insulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

strandsman wrote: »
    I have white pvc double glaze windows, they are about 13yrs old, and manufactured by a well know munster based window manufacturer, I am thinking of replacing them with either a triple glaze or energlaze double glaze, I am only interested in replacing the glass and not the frame, The house is timber frame and fully insulated etc, Any feedback would be appreciated, Are all double and triple glaze now filled with a gas to improve insulation?

In similar situation myself. Interested to hear some advice.

Galego wrote: »
    In similar situation myself. Interested to hear some advice.

Why would you contemplate keeping the frames? They will be the weekest link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

BryanF wrote: »

I don’t know if I can afford new windows but then again I have not priced new windows.

I got the sales rep from Energlaze at home and he was pricing me roughly €300 per window (to retrofit double glaze).

So my doubts now are:

How much are new frames + double glaze?

Are new frames easily replaced without causing much hassle in the house?

Galego wrote: »
    I don’t know if I can afford new windows but then again I have not priced new windows.

I got the sales rep from Energlaze at home and he was pricing me roughly €300 per window (to retrofit double glaze).

So my doubts now are:

1. How much are new frames + double glaze?

2. Are new frames easily replaced without causing much hassle in the house?
    1. get three quotes
    2. a good installer will fix plaster work and tidy up after themselves

BryanF wrote: »
    ya that's what I want to do, just replace the glass

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

ya that's what I want to do, just replace the glass

I think as Bryan has explained it is probably a waste of time and money and it will not make your home any warmer or more energy efficient.

893bet wrote: »
    I think as Bryan has explained it is probably a waste of time and money and it will not make your home any warmer or more energy efficient.
    i have pvc frames so they should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I can't see the benefit of replacing existing double glazing with slightly better double glazing and keeping the frames. There may be a small improvement on efficiency but not justifiable.

i have pvc frames so they should be fine

That be the key word! I think frames have some on alot in the last few years.

Why is the glass not fine so if you think the frames are fine? As the last poster had says the cost of replacing just the glass doesnt make financial sense.

Of course if you are changing the glass as you want to change the design in some way (adding a Georgian border or something) then financial sense is not as important as if you are changing in attempted to make your house warmer.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Price the whole job, frames and all. Doesn't make sense to only do half the job. What you think you're saving on one hand, you're losing it on the other. I'm in the middle of pricing doors and windows, doing frames and all. Guy said to me today, there's only 300 in the difference between double and triple glazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Would replacing existing double glazing with Energlaze or similar offer better soundproofing from traffic noise etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

chicorytip wrote: »
    Would replacing existing double glazing with Energlaze or similar offer better soundproofing from traffic noise etc. ?

No.

Noise coming through the window is a sign that there is air leakage. The most common air leakage path is between the window frame and wall / window board (even the smallest gap / crack at this junction will allow a lot of air through).

For anyone getting windows replaced insist that the frames are air sealed with proper materials (and I don't mean expanding foam).

the thought of replacing the frames would make me puke..... All the plastering,painting,tiling etc no chance. The way I see it, the windows I have are mostly large,So the area of glass is per window is far more than the area of the frame, If the triple glaze or other is more efficient there has to be a saving, fair enough the new type frames may be more efficient but the cost of the remedial work fitting them + extra cost of purchase may not justify the saving. At the moment I am looking at replacing glazing in the living space rooms which is about half the windows, If I see an improvement then it'll be something to chew on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Whelan1916

We changed our glass and kept our original pvc frames. We did the front of the house first and were so pleased with the result we got [snip] back to do the rest of the house.As far as we are concerned it really does work.

Whelan1916 wrote: »
    We changed our glass and kept our original pvc frames. We did the front of the house first and were so pleased with the result we got [snip] back to do the rest of the house.As far as we are concerned it really does work.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭smokey20

Subtle

why did you only do the front of the house first?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I think the poster may be connected with the company in question so the story is likely to be fabricated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

First post, so I think the suggestion is that Whelan1916 is a not entirely disinterested party.....

Advertisement