Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing everything after 3 days in rental

Options
  • 17-02-2015 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi ,
    Looking for some advice.

We are recently home from abroad and with rents crazy in Dublin and surrounds we decided to rent a house in the countryside.

Prior to move in day we paid a months rent in advance (700EUR) and a deposit equivalent also of 700EUR, so 1400EUR in advance. When we were inspecting the property we asked the agent what would happen if we moved out before the specified contract lease date. She told us, just give us 28 days notice. She never mentioned anything about retaining our deposit. The first time we seen anything about retaining our deposit was when she left the contract for the lease with us and gave us the key.

On the Saturday we met the estate agent at the property and she gave us the key.. She also gave us two copies of the lease contract to sign - it was at this stage , it was the first time we seen the issue about the agent keeping our bond if we moved out of the premises early.
    Anyway so come Monday I realised i just couldn't stay there. Tuesday morning 9 am, we rang and notified the management agent we were moving out with immediate effect and did so.

We know we made a mistake. We re just looking for other opinions regarding getting our deposit back.
    We approached her and said obviously how v sorry we were and for the inconvenience caused and said we would pay 700EUR and relisting fee for Daft.

It has been a week since we have moved out and have heard v little from the agent. Our telephone calls are going to answer machine. We have emailed also.
    I should add we did not sign the lease agreement and still have the two blank lease agreements here.

I know contracts can be written, oral or even implied so I guess my question is; where do we stand regarding getting our deposit back?

1,400 is a huge amount of money to lose on 3 nights accommodation.
    I should also add, on the tuesday when we moved out to the next months due date for rent is 28 days.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a feeling many will reply and say we just messed them around and entitled to nothing back! but look people make mistakes and we have apologised profusely for this but still think losing 1400 is too big an amount to just write off. We are landlords to tenants for our apartment and always give people benefit of a doubt..so hoping karma might come back around to us!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't get it... you moved out purely because of the clause that the landlord/agent would retain your deposit if you did so before the end of the lease? No other reason?

If so then you'll find that's standard in any rental (they're actually technically allowed to charge you for the rent lost while they find a new tenant) and while most don't enforce it they are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

No lease => No contract.
    You should get your full deposit back.

I'm surprised that they let you move in without signing the lease.

It would be reasonable for them to charge you a pro-rated amount for the 3 days you stayed there though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You are entitled to the deposit back, minus the cost of the pro rata amount of time owed from the date of the start of the tenancy to the date the next tenant moves in. The landlord is obliged to minimise their loss by renting the place as soon as possible. You are also liable for the advertising costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭acb

NO we moved out after a couple of days for a myriad of reasons! Just come back to Ireland 3 weeks ago and our head is all over the place and literally as soon as we d moved in we realised it was a massive mistake.

My understanding was deposits should be retained for damage or unpaid bills.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

dubrov wrote: »
    No lease => No contract.

It would be reasonable for them to charge you a pro-rated amount for the 3 days you stayed there though.

The lease is implied at the point they handed over cash and got the keys.

• Advertisement

You are entitled to the deposit back, minus the cost of the pro rata amount of time owed from the date of the start of the tenancy to the date the next tenant moves in. The landlord is obliged to minimise their loss by renting the place as soon as possible. You are also liable for the advertising costs.

That s kinda my understanding...ive been watching and don't see the house listed for rent again :(
    She did say to my husband on the phone they had another couple interested in the house but we got it.
    Anyway when we aren't receiving any contact from her its hard to know whats happening
    Thank you for your reply :)

acb wrote: »
    That s kinda my understanding...ive been watching and don't see the house listed for rent again :(
    She did say to my husband on the phone they had another couple interested in the house but we got it.
    Anyway when we aren't receiving any contact from her its hard to know whats happening
    Thank you for your reply :)

If they're intentionally delaying in order to retain your deposit, open a dispute with the PRTB.

Literally i met her at the house, she gave me the key and left the contract with me to look over and sign. It was then i seen the issue about retain the deposit.

tried to ring the PRTB for advice....on hold so long i just hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

It's not clear why you moved out? you simply say you just couldn't stay there. unfortunately you've paid 700 in advance for the month so there is little hope of getting that back as there is nothing stopping you from staying there for the rest of the month.

I may be wrong but I don't think they can keep your deposit, however they can deduct lost rent and re-letting fees from it. Also if you signed a fixed term lease you could be liable for the remainder of the term if the landlord is unable to let the property.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/disputes/deposit-refund
    Therefore if a tenant ends a tenancy by giving a landlord less than the required period of notice, or only verbal notice, or a written notice that does not comply with the Act, it is at the landlord's discretion whether to make a deduction from the deposit in respect of the outstanding rent appropriate to the notice period to which he/she was entitled by way of a valid Notice of Termination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

why did you move out?
    Give 28 days notice,
    is it fixed term or periodic
    I dont believe there is any right to withold the deposit, unless there is some specific justification, but rights which are afforded cannot be written out if existenc in a contract

I really feel having been in Australia and seen how rental market is regulated over there in relation to proper procedure with deposits / bonds...why are the PRTB not doing something similar here? As i said earlier, we are landlords ( though not out of choice) and I feel the PRTB are of no assistance to either landlords or renters

If you've paid the first month up front and only required a month's notice, then at maximum you surely would only be liable for the month you paid, plus part of the deposit for relisting the property. Also the landlord is obliged to minimise their costs and find tenants as fast as possible so you might get some of that first month back. As the lease could be implicitly signed (stop me if I'm wrong!) check the terms for an early break, it's probably 28 days as they said.

Get acquainted with the tenant section of the PRTB website! And also threshold.ie.

literally 3 pm on Saturday we met her there and got the key.
    Tuesday morning 9am we rang and said we were moving out. By late afternoon we were gone.

I don't have any solid reasons for moving out- as I said earlier we realised we made a big mistake.
    We are only back in Ireland (a month today) after 3 years away and moved to a very rural part of the country with no one around us. I just felt completely isolated and rather than try to preserve , said just move out. So thats what we did! I can't tell you it was any one thing but a combination of lots of things...Feb wasn't helping!!

So as it stands, we are down 1,400 EUR :(

We just want half of that back which sounds reasonable to us (maybe we re completely in the wrong!)

TheChizler wrote: »
    If you've paid the first month up front and only required a month's notice, then at maximum you surely would only be liable for the month you paid, plus part of the deposit for relisting the property. Also the landlord is obliged to minimise their costs and find tenants as fast as possible so you might get some of that first month back.

thats what we suggested but have heard nothing. WE ve posted back the keys to the estate agent by registered post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No lease => No contract.

A lease can be implied, them moving in implies that they accept it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

NO we moved out after a couple of days for a myriad of reasons! Just come back to Ireland 3 weeks ago and our head is all over the place and literally as soon as we d moved in we realised it was a massive mistake.

An important life lesson I have learnt is never make rash decisions when your head is all over the place, thats for both moving in somewhere and moving out.
    I really feel having been in Australia and seen how rental market is regulated over there in relation to proper procedure with deposits / bonds...why are the PRTB not doing something similar here? As i said earlier, we are landlords ( though not out of choice) and I feel the PRTB are of no assistance to either landlords or renters

If I were you, I wouldnt take your own thread off topic.

thats what we suggested but have heard nothing. WE ve posted back the keys to the estate agent by registered post.
    They could just be being slow, the agent has to contact the landlord for things like this to get their approval. I'm waiting over two weeks now for a €1,500 deposit to be returned, unfortunately it's not uncommon!

the whole thing confusing me is we didn't get to see the contract prior to moving in. it was left with us too look over...so i don't think making us liable for future loss of rent would be right

the whole thing confusing me is we didn't get to see the contract prior to moving in. it was left with us too look over...so i don't think making us liable for future loss of rent would be right

The law allows the landlord to cover their loss, your viewing of the lease after handing over money was an error on your part, but ignorance of the law is not a defence.

You should get your deposit back if they manage to rent it within the month. You need to talk to the estate agent, even if it means showing up at their door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

It's a bit confused, since you moved in you forfit the first months rent that you paid in advance but you are entitled to say for the duration that you have paid for. As for the deposit, is it explicit in the lease you signed that it is forfit if you break the lease? Smart move on the part if the landlord if its as he's not just out of pocket for the cost of re-advertizing but also for rental income until the place is let again which can take a very long time in rural areas. If it is in the lease as I think you indicated then you are unlikely to get the money back.
    I'm having a hard time sympathizing to be honest, it's messing of the highest order on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

OP did you find somewhere you preferred over this place. You can tell us we are all friend here. I imagine the deposit is lost as it is a retaining deposit, but you may only be liable, for paying rent for a partial period of first month. Have you made yourself available to let the agent inspect the property again, have you returned the keys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

OP, you'll need to contact the PRTB to confirm what applies to your situation.

I really can't see how they can keep your deposit given there is no lease.
    An implied lease isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

Nope haven't found anywhere better- we ve moved back in with family...we re starting to consider moving back into our apartment with the 2 little kids.

We know we messed them around and do genuinely feel really awful about it but my god 1400 is just a huge amount of money. I feel absolutely sick about it.

@conorhaul...thats the thing we never signed any lease.

Will the PRTB even know!!? Im wondering should i bother ringing them and being placed on hold for best part of a hour.
    They have no powers.

There's a minimum set of rules that applies to any tenancy, regardless of the lease, and I THINK the 28 day notice thing from the start of a tenancy is part of that. Just found it here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html
    Tenants can terminate a tenancy without giving a reason but must give notice.

Length of tenancy|Notice by tenant
    Less than 6 months|4 weeks (28 days)
    6 months to 1 year|5 weeks (35 days)
    1 – 2 years|6 weeks (42 days)
    2 or more years|8 weeks (56 days)

So it seems that the 28 day thing is pretty solid. The most they can hold you to is any rent owed up to 28 days from when you gave notice. And as you hadn't even seen the lease when you started the tenancy I'd cautiously hazard a guess that you wouldn't even be liable for the advertisement costs. The reason I'm cautious is because you were aware you were supposed to be entering a fixed term lease.

Best ring Threshold!

ok thanks everyone. Will ring threshold now and see where we stand. Fingers crossed.

But you know i really feel just getting half back would be fine. We do feel really bad about it all, but seriously....I want to put this behind me!

TheChizler wrote: »
    There's a minimum set of rules that applies to any tenancy, regardless of the lease, and I THINK the 28 day notice thing from the start of a tenancy is part of that. Just found it here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

So it seems that the 28 day thing is pretty solid. The most they can hold you to is any rent owed up to 28 days from when you gave notice. And as you hadn't even seen the lease when you started the tenancy I'd cautiously hazard that you wouldn't even be liable for the advertisement costs. The reason I'm cautious is because you were aware you were supposed to be entering a fixed term lease.

Best ring Threshold!

This may be true for periodic tenancies, but the OP is bound by a fixed term lease and the 28 days notice doesn't discharge their duties to the term. As I already said, however, the landlord is required to minimise their loss by renting it out again asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

My understanding would be that it's entirely up to the landlord whether they hang on to your first month's rent (which they're probably entitled to do), but they have to give back your deposit. TBH I would write off the 700 but argue for the deposit if it comes to that, remember when dealing with the agent/landlord that you did mess them around and be civil even in the face of them being awkward. It's a bit early to be talking about getting the PRTB involved if you don't even know there's a problem yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

No lease => No contract.

The thread on the legal forum regarding "myths" would love this.

Advertisement