Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tasty wholegrain pasta and rice?

Options
  • 17-02-2015 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

We have fresh white pasta once or twice a week and white rice around three times a week. I would like to replace these foodstuffs with their wholegrain alternatives. I have had brown rice in the past and I was not crazy about it but I want to reintroduce it to our diet to help avoid fast release carbohydrates. Is there anywhere that sells wholegrain pasta, fresh rather than dried if such a thing exists, and wholegrain rice, that are just as healthy as but tastier than the products available elsewhere?

I realise asking this wholegrain rice and pasta may just be things that are all standard, and what you buy in Aldi, Dunnes, or Marks and Spencers, may be the same as what you buy in a health food store?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've only tried the dry pasta from both supermarket and health shop, and personally I couldn't really tell a difference tbh. I just buy the Aldi stuff. I don't mind the taste of either, but do tend to cook brown rice to the longer time of the range recommended on the pack (30 minutes on the Aldi/ Bilash).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

One my mum does is white rice with wild rice which I think is a nice compromise to wean yourself off white if you want and on to brown and it's tastes lovely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

If you're getting much taste from rice or pasta you need to up the flavour of the accompanying food. Even throwing a stock cube and a handful of sweetcorn and peas into rice will do wonders for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I just use rice to soak up the Flava Flav from the food it's served with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've only tried the dry pasta from both supermarket and health shop, and personally I couldn't really tell a difference tbh. I just buy the Aldi stuff. I don't mind the taste of either, but do tend to cook brown rice to the longer time of the range recommended on the pack (30 minutes on the Aldi/ Bilash).

Can you confirm that is the dry brown pasta?
    One my mum does is white rice with wild rice which I think is a nice compromise to wean yourself off white if you want and on to brown and it's tastes lovely. :)
    I just use rice to soak up the Flava Flav from the food it's served with.

Thanks for all the replies. We have tried brown rice again since posting with a new Tikka Masala recipe and it was a hit! Seems the brown rice is not a problem - and the way forward!

Next stop, brown pasta city!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Macy0161

dusf wrote: »
    Can you confirm that is the dry brown pasta?
    Yes, cucina wholewheat penned or spaghetti. Not as gone on the lidl wholewheat farfalle/ bows though tbh.

Have got some lidl (golden sun) long grain brown rice to try - seems to have a much shorter cooking time than the aldi stuff.

Advertisement