Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are biker forums dieing out?

Options
  • 17-02-2015 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Where's everyone spending their time online these days? I've noticed most forums that I like and in the past were real lively are now awful slow and a bit boring tbh.

I'm not on Facebook so I dont know if thats where its at now. Im not a desperado online all the time but it seems to me the old forum I'd tune into that were fun and informative are just full of watchers and guests now. Nothing moving, no opinions, very negative

Anyone else notice it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

yep
    and its not just biker forums...lots of forums for sport, leisure etc are suffering.
    TBH im not sure where everyone has gone.
    FB is a factor but not the root of all problems.
    Most discussion on biker forums used to be bike issues or advice needed on buying. Perhaps all questions have been asked at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Zipppy wrote: »
    yep
    and its not just biker forums...lots of forums for sport, leisure etc are suffering.
    TBH im not sure where everyone has gone.
    FB is a factor but not the root of all problems.
    Most discussion on biker forums used to be bike issues or advice needed on buying. Perhaps all questions have been asked at this stage..

Strange question from someone who hasnt posted here in nearly 2 years....:confused:

Plenty of live discussions going on....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,173 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Advice on buying - that's it - few people have money to spend so there's less to talk about.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I find most people just browse/Troll etc and dont post much at all, just take it all in and leave without saying hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

FB has done away with a lot of forums. I run one for airsoft and it's dead, so is the one here on boards.

the other biker forums were a wash for me. biker.ie seems to be full of head the balls, and irishbikerforum never enabled my account and then deleted it a week or so later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

As a 'discussion forum' Boards itself seems to be doing ok though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

i was on a few of the road racing forums, but they have all closed over the last few years, biker.ie isn't up to much, and the lads "in control" are partly to blame, sure here is grand, so far,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I find boards.ie to be a useful place for bike discussions. I find in biker.ie you have to go through a ritual of slagging in order to get a question answered.

For a bike specific forum like 400greybike I find it terrible for replies. Dont get me wrong there are some knowledgeable lads there but you can be waiting weeks for a reply.

I dont have facebook so cant comment on that. Are there facebook fan bike sites??? is there a dedicated cb400 facebook page?

With google theres very little need to ask questions on boards....theres a lot of guys that ride bikes who dont have a clue about their bike ....i find this section is more about chat than real info....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

With google theres very little need to ask questions on boards....theres a lot of guys that ride bikes who dont have a clue about their bike ....i find this section is more about chat than real info....

QFT

P.C. wrote: »
    QFT

:confused:...too old to understand this new language....but i can strip yer engine down in 15 mins.....:p

P.C. wrote: »
    QFT

Yiz have me confused with the POA and the QFT's:p

I find boards great for getting an irish point of view on problems and fixes. I find on foreign forums they can have different terminology & names for parts etc etc. Its useful to ask a question from a native speaker

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

:confused:...too old to understand this new language....but i can strip yer engine down in 15 mins.....:p
    QFT = quoted for truth
    It means he agrees with everything you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

So can most ppl . . . It's the putting it back part LOL

biko wrote: »
    QFT = quoted for truth
    It means he agrees with everything you said.

PHEW...i was worried he was calling me something to do with men that frequent The George.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah but will someone from google fly over and help you out with a service or if you badly stuck with an emergency!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah but will someone from google fly over and help you out with a service or if you badly stuck with an emergency!

QFT:p

QFT:p

Why The Face................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Boards has the advantage that it covers so many topics. So you can be in talking about kate middletons arse on AH, best burrito in dublin on the regional forums and then take a look in here to see what's happening.
    Reddit is similar, it covers so many topics that it's easier to spend more time on and jump into the motorcycle section.
    The main criticism of boards I see on other forums is the mods, but lucky we have decent ones on motorbikes. But bad mods drive people away from a site.
    I take the odd look at biker.ie and it's the same old posters thinking it's hilarious changing a subject line to something gay and calling each other "fags" if they disagree. I think IBF is dead, as far as I know facebook has taken over that one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 chickenbone

I find biker.ie a grand forum, bit of craic to be had and a lot of good advice and info. Definitely the busiest forum around for an Irish perspective. I don't do fb but I think it's killed ibf, and global is just pathetic. If I need a bike- specific answer I'd usually check the brit-based forums.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Can't stand biker.ie anymore.....

This is the only decent irish forum left.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Can't stand biker.ie anymore.....

This is the only decent irish forum left.

Isnt Biker.ie the one thats full of fags and gay's..................:D

NO OFFENCE.................

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

I find boards.ie to be a useful place for bike discussions. I find in biker.ie you have to go through a ritual of slagging in order to get a question answered.

For a bike specific forum like 400greybike I find it terrible for replies. Dont get me wrong there are some knowledgeable lads there but you can be waiting weeks for a reply.

I dont have facebook so cant comment on that. Are there facebook fan bike sites??? is there a dedicated cb400 facebook page?

I joined one FB page for the CB400 but it's mostly pictures of their bikes in places where the Superfour is actually officially sold e.g Thailand, Philippines etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Irishbikerforum still going. Not busy but its there.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I think it's a reflection of the irish biker community dying out in general.

Not many young bikers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Forums die usually by organic means because the regulars who like each other tend to congregate and communicate through Facebook groups and real life means. I've seen dozens of forums go the same way from loads of different topics. Pits rarely a malicious way to kill a forum though I've seen that too, but after a certain point the lifeblood of a forum, the regulars post less because they just discuss whatever with their forum mates through other means

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think it's a refelction of the irish biker community dying out in general.

This is the truth, most people riding bikes are in their 40's they started out when cars were expensive to run and insure.
    These days the cost of running a small car is much cheaper and the hassle and complexity involved in the graduated licensing scheme has driven many young people away from bikes.
    An undoubted media bias against Motorcycling in general has stopped any movement towards bikes unless you are really really interested in them.
    Just look at motorcycle sales in the past 10 years and its pitiful.
    This is all reflected in forums being very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

I think its down to 2 things:

1. Facebook - time was I'd have IBF and Biker.ie open all day in seperate tabs and I jump in at various times throughout the day. Now, most people spend all their day on Facebook so the forums aren't getting as much traffic so I'll check in maybe once in the morning and know not much will happen in the next 24 hours.

2. Viber/WhatsApp - I'm now at the stage where I know the lads I get on with, and we have various chat groups on these messaging platforms and thats how we arrange spins/trips away etc. removing the need for a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think it's a reflection of the irish biker community dying out in general.

Speak for yourself :P

I only bought one there last year, as did my buddy.

There are several people in the office I would describe as actively looking into getting a bike. None of these people owned bikes previously.

Advertisement