Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AR/tist in the spotlight, this week: Tunguska

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

How long can you hold a handstand?
    What discipline in gymnastics is most appealing to you?
    Oasis or Blur?
    Who in your opinion is the greatest runner to never win an Olympic or World title?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Did you see Whiplash?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

eldiva wrote: »
    How long can you hold a handstand?

This is a work in progress. Its getting better for sure but its been a slog and will continue to be a challenge for a while I reckon. But I will nail it. Right now Im working on my shoulders and wrists mobility. I think for me my shoulders are the thing thats stops me from knocking out a good, straight, solid handstand. A friend sent me a handstand tutorial which ive been working on body part by body part:

http://antranik.org/comprehensive-handstand-tutorial/

Its a crazy thing though. I see little girls knocking out great handstands while they're out playing and it seems effortless.

What discipline in gymnastics is most appealing to you?

Still rings. Its an awesome event that requires you to develop serious strength and agility. I'd like to give the parallel bars a go aswell though.

Oasis or Blur?

Blur. Never liked Oasis. I do like Noel though, he's such a no nonsense straight talking bloke and you have to respect someone who doesnt feel the need to bull****.
    Who in your opinion is the greatest runner to never win an Olympic or World title?

Thats a hard question to answer. The one that stands out for me was Paula radcliffe. I know she won world titles but an Olympic medal is something that Is a glaring omission from her record.

Did you see Whiplash?

Now this is something I was hoping someone would ask me..............
    I thought it was great. Very tightly made, no fat, just lean and efficient. Even the scene where he's cutting his Girlfriend lose is reflective of the films no nonsense theme. The acting is phenomenal and the whole thing is just tense as ****. The last 15 minutes is some of the best film making you're ever likely to see. It was the first film Id seen in I dont know how long where the audience stood up and applauded at the end. They didnt even do that for 12 years a slave(which I thought deserved an ovation.
    Still hope Ed Norton wins for Birdman though, but cant see JK simmons being beat at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Tunguska is going to finish up today, thanks again for all the questions, some brilliant answers as well. Another candidate is being arranged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

really enjoyed this thread, thanks tunguska

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

RayCun wrote: »

+1. Definitely one of the best yet.
    Next one should be fun too:)

It's not over yet!

Why haven't you run Boston or New York?

How do you travel to and from work?

What do you think of Dublin airport?

Will you be going to see Still Alice?

Thanks Ray. I look forward to your Q&A, you strike me as an intelligent guy.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    +1. Definitely one of the best yet.
    Next one should be fun too:)

I look forward to your Q&A too Aoife. There's a couple of things I'd like to ask you about, so would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

tunguska wrote: »

I look forward to your Q&A too Aoife. There's a couple of things I'd like to ask you about, so would be interesting.

ha ha you'll be waiting a few years before I'll get a slot. Sure you'll probably be a famous ribbon gymnast by then and running will be the last thing on your mind:)

• Advertisement

It's not over yet!

Why haven't you run Boston or New York?

With Boston it was just the time of the year that put me off. I only run one marathon a year and I preferred to spend the early part of the year working on 5 & 10k stuff then do marathon focused training in the second half.

With new York it came down to indifference and laziness. Dublin is on at that time of the year so it was just easier to turn up and race that as opposed to booking flights, accommodation and then travelling to the states. I never seemed to have that burning desire to mark off certain big marathons off a bucket list. I Dont have a bucket list. The only marathon I feel s strong urge to do is Honolulu and that's mostly for the scenery.
    How do you travel to and from work?

Most of the time I cycle. But I've been getting soft and fierce vain about my looks(the wind messes my luscious mane of dark hair) lately so some of the time I'll just take the jerry lee.

What do you think of Dublin airport?

Im indifferent to it, it does the job so I've never had any complaints.
    Will you be going to see Still Alice

Another movie question, thanks Galvin, I'm kind of obsessed with great film making(subtle hint: Someone ask me what my favorite movie is).
    I won't be going to see Still Alice. I'll be honest, Alzheimer's makes me very uncomfortable, I have a friend who's mother is really bad with it(and she's still relatively young) and it's shocking to see and be around. Im not a fan of films about terminal illness or anything along those lines. I know theyre very worthy movies and all but i just find them draining. I Dont even like biopics either(except for Raging bull of course). I saw Selma recently and that didn't do it for me really.
    So I know still Alice is fine film about a worthy subject but I honestly Dont wanna spend my Saturday night watching a film about Alzheimers.

What is your favourite movie?

Redmayne or Keaton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Favourite sport related movies based around the following

Athletics
    Football
    Gymnastics
    Cycling
    Boxing
    Chess

What is your favourite movie?

Now youre talking..........My favorite film is McCabe & Mrs Miller. I love Altman's movies and The Long Goodbye is a very close second, McCabe is just an amazing film in so many ways. It was so far ahead of its time its ridiculous. Altman shot it in this quasi-documentary style which makes it seem so authentic and real, unlike anything else at the time. Its incredibly funny and sharp in places but also very tragic. The music is by Leonard Cohan and it fits perfectly with the images and dialogue. Im big into Cinematography and the light and look of a movie is the first thing I'll usually notice. And this film is beautifully shot. As for Warren Beatty.......Im a big fan. Not just because he's a legend with the ladies(apparently he slept with over 12,000 women......and he's been married 20 years so thats serious going) but mostly because he's a great actor, writer and director himself. I love his films and I really like his style. But in McCabe he takes it to another level, he's brilliant. Just a great film that gets better every time I see it. And that ending........One word: Haunting.

Redmayne or Keaton?

Keaton. Both are great and its hard to seperate them in terms of quality, but the thing with the oscars is that every category except best picture, is peer decided. So its only actors who get to vote for other actors and only directors who can vote for other directors etc. Its Michael keaton's home town, he's immensly popular in hollywood, and he's been around for donkeys at this stage and the academy tends to be sentimental. He deserves it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Since you've stepped back the training, does it ever frustrate you, to run similar times to people that you would previously have been way ahead of, or is it an entirely different buzz you get from racing these days?

Does your head not get very hot, when you race with a big woolly hat on?

Favourite sport related movies based around the following

Athletics

I know its not about athletics directly, but Marathon man is the film I most identify with the sport. I saw it as a kid(dont know what my parents were at)and it blew me away. Those scenes with Hoffman running up deserted streets in new york in the middle of the night being pursued by some very bad men.......brilliant.
    Football

Escape to Victory. Its as realistic a portrayal of life in a nazi POW camp(Barry Norman said that Michael caine was the best fed POW he'd ever seen) as ;PS I love was of life in rural Ireland.......but I love this film
    The match at the end is actually really well choregraphed, which is dong well because football matches in movies have been notoriously crap and unbelievable. The music is great and that overkick scene with Pele scoring and the german commander standing to appluad, is magic, still gets me no matter how many times I see it.

Actually lets do this.........

Gymnastics

You have me there. Im not sure there any, not anything decent anyway.
    Cycling

Breaking away
    Again not a film directly about cycling, more of a coming of age movie, but cycling is in there. Great film, very funny and poignant. Photography again is top class.
    Boxing

Im torn between When we were kings and the Fight. When we were kings is magnificent and you get to see how truly great Ali (and how scary George Foreman) was. But The fight is proabably just a little bit better. Its about the fight Ali had with Fraizer in Manila(1975) the year after the Rumble in the Jungle. The heat was incredible and it was, in my opinion, the greatest fight in history. They absolutely killed each other for 14 rounds and Ali said it was the closest thing to death he'd ever experienced. Ali was often accused of being a loud mouth, and he was, but he could back it up and in this fight he showed how tough he was, how much heart he had and how much of a warrior he was. Fraizer too. Ali was very complimentary about fraizer after the fight aswell, which is something he had never been to Smokin' Joe. He said that he had hit Frazier with shots that would knock walls down, but he just took them and kept coming forward, Joe is a great fighter.

Chess

Bobby fisher against the world. Couldnt get enough of this, abosultely insane story, you couldnt make it up.

Since you've stepped back the training, does it ever frustrate you, to run similar times to people that you would previously have been way ahead of, or is it an entirely different buzz you get from racing these days?

I thought it might but it doesnt at all. Im pretty happy with the decisions Ive made and the reasons I made them so I think thats why it doesnt bother me. I know whats required to be faster and I know I could be faster if I chose to do certain things, but Im fine with how things have turned out. I really enjoyed raheny and I'll be doing the bohermeen half, so I'll sandbag a bit then have some fun with it in the second half, see what happens.
    Does your head not get very hot, when you race with a big woolly hat on?

Me + Cold = :mad:
    So no, I dont overheat at all. Im a divil for the wholly hats though, I have way too many of them for it to be healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Just seeing this now, great read, probably the best there has been.

I know you are almost finished so but i'll ask anyway!

Along the lines of the last question do you still give it your all in races when you know you are not as well trained as you used to be?

You mentioned going sub 2.20, that would have been an 18 min pb, what made you think that was possible? Not trying to be a dick here, genuinely curious.

AdpRo wrote: »
    Just seeing this now, great read, probably the best there has been.

I know you are almost finished so but i'll ask anyway!

Along the lines of the last question do you still give it your all in races when you know you are not as well trained as you used to be?

I've actually done f'all races since the marathon in 2013. I mean last year i onlydid........3, including the marathon. But I did give them socks. Like I did dunshaughlin 10k and that was one of the best races I've ever run. The time wasn't anything special but in proportion to the training I'd done, I had definitely punched above my weight on the night. Basically I will give any race I do my full whack on the day, regardless of how I'm trained for it.

AdpRo wrote: »
    You mentioned going sub 2.20, that would have been an 18 min pb, what made you think that was possible? Not trying to be a dick here, genuinely curious.

I know it seems like a big leap but I was always better than 2:38. My problem was overtraining and injuring myself, not peaking at the right time. I did eventually figure out how to get the best out of myself and I could clearly see what I needed to do in order to go under 2:20
    But that was when I also realised the price I'd pay for that both physically and personally, and after weighing it up I just thought that price was too high.
    Who knows maybe I wouldn't have gone under 2:20 but I just had this belief in myself that it was there for the taking if I wanted it. But as it turns out I didn't, not enough anyway.

Thoughts on the Marvel films so far and the avalanche of superhero films coming soon?

What do you know about David Letterman?

What do you think you could run the mile in given a proper build up?

Furthest you've travelled for a race?

Funniest thing you've seen whilst running the DCM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

No more questions, just wanted to say thanks. Best one of these so far I reckon, maybe because the running was only a backdrop to lots of other interesting stuff :)

There's still 16 minutes Cian.

Did you watch the RTE show about Charlie Haughey?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

very, very interesting. Thank you!

Thoughts on the Marvel films so far and the avalanche of superhero films coming soon?

The only ones I've liked was the first iron man and strangely enough, Thor. Although the others have been ****, especially The avengers. Its the same plot over and over...... Some intergalactic force tries to destroy the earth. Always with the GCI battles at the end which should be thrilling but are quite boring.
    The best superhero film I've ever seen was Watchmen. Now that's a movie. It absolutely blew me away when I saw it. Its unlike any other superhero film, more believable because non of them (exceptDr Manhattan)actually have super powers. They're just people, extraordinary in some way, but still not out of this world. I think its criminally under rated and The comedian is an absolute legend. Again a film with a great ending. Soundtrack is amazing too.
    What do you know about David Letterman?

As in David Letterman, the talk show host? I used to always watch his show, haven't seen it in a while though. He always has Darlene love on just before Christmas to sing my favorite Christmas song. Think she did it every year since 1986. Would love to go over to see that. I was actually only watching a video on YouTube the other day of his first ever show in 1982. Guess who was on?
    Bill Murray. It was mad to see that.

What do you think you could run the mile in given a proper build up?

That's a tough one. I do know that I wouldn't run it unless I had trained specifically for the event. And I reckon a good 10 - 12 weeks all in all would ideal. But I just can't give you a figure on that, it depends on so many things.
    Furthest you've travelled for a race?

One race that stands out, but probably wssmt the furthest I've travelled was the fields of athenry 10 k held on Stephens day every year. Myself and a mate drove over and it just seemed like the longest drive in history that day. Dont get me wrong, its a great race but definitely not worth traveling that far on the day that's in it.

Funniest thing you've seen whilst running the DCM?

The time your man decked out in full(GAA socks and all)Mayo county kit came alongside me carrying a big 1.5l bottle of water and trying to run 5:50 per mile. He says how are ye, and then falls over a traffic island, sending himself and the water bottle sprawling into the middle of the road. He gets up, chases after me and then goes tearing off ahead with the boys running at 5:30 per mile. I passed him in the phoenix park 2 miles later bent over a railing getting sick. Game over.

There's still 16 minutes Cian.

Did you watch the RTE show about Charlie Haughey?

No I honestly can't stand rte's home produced shows. I think I'm the only person in the country who thinks love hate is terrible (the acting is so bad).
    I tried to watch haughey but aiden gillan I think is an atrocious actor. I once saw stone cold Steve austin act him off the screen and that says it all.

Thank you, always interesting.

Thank you, always interesting.

Cheers Calvin, great questions. You have me worn out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

No I honestly can't stand rte's home produced shows. I think I'm the only person in the country who thinks love hate is terrible (the acting is so bad).
    I tried to watch haughey but aiden gillan I think is an atrocious actor. I once saw stone cold Steve austin act him off the screen and that says it all.

No you aren't, the copper in it sat beside me in Templemore & is the best thing in it. He is a Tallaght man and ran the mile & half test we had to do in less than 7 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The best superhero film I've ever seen was Watchmen. Now that's a movie.

ah man, and you were doing so well up to that point! The book is excellent, the movie is a dumbed down piece of **** :mad:

• Advertisement

ah man, and you were doing so well up to that point! The book is excellent, the movie is a dumbed down piece of **** :mad:

You have me there, I've never read it. That's a graphic novel isn't it? You could be right, I'll check it out and get back to you. Some amazing scenes in that film though. The Birth of Dr.Manhattan sequence is stand out.

Advertisement