Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bookies took his money but wont pay out?

Options
  • 10-02-2015 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi my dad likes to do a lot of bets on football matches. He would be a regular customer but never bets huge amounts. Only €1 or €2 each time on some accumulators.

He placed a bet on some football matches which were foreign (not sure which league / country).

Anyway they took the bet but and all 4 have won but Boylesports are only paying out on 2 of them as they cant locate the odds for the other two games.

Is it worth me escalating it any further?

My understanding of contract law is that there has to be offer, acceptance, and consideration.

When he submitted the betting docket that was him making an offer and when they took his money, that was them accepting the conditions that if all teams win they would pay out on all of them.

I highly doubt that if only two of the teams betted on won, he would have got something for just them two which is what he has been paid for but only cause all 4 teams won.

Any advice guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Hi Op,

Unfortunately this is not like a traditional contract agreement, it is essentially a gentleman's agreement that the bookie will pay out.

In saying this I would query it with head office just to make sure, do you know where he sourced the odds ? I.e was it a 3rd party site?

Chijj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Contract law doesn't apply to gambling, its just a "gentleman's agreement" so basically the bookie can pretty much do as they please. The only real course of action you have is to escalate it within Boylesports, shop manager, area manager etc. If it was only small stakes on four football games the returns can't be huge and I can't imagine them making that much of an issue of it. Can you find out the games and dates and post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I assume he had odds (from somewhere) or did he just write the names of 4 teams and hand it over to the staff.
    If that was the case, normally the staff would take the bet and then find the odds in the system and put them on the slip.
    If he did write the teams himself without checking the odds in the shop, he may have a problem as they may not have been taking bets on the 2 matches they are missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Contract law doesn't apply.

If they weren't taking bets on those two matches they shouldn't pay out on all 4.
    If he has the wrong odds down, they should correct them as per the correct odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

What matches were they?

You can check if they were offering odds by using this site

http://www.oddsportal.com/matches/soccer/

You have to log-in to check Boyles prices but it's free to register so no issue there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Mellor wrote: »
    Contract law doesn't apply.

If they weren't taking bets on those two matches they shouldn't pay out on all 4.

Surely if they weren't taking bets on all 4 they shouldn't have taken the bet in the first place?

Are they refunding people who lost money on those 2 games?

If only the 2 they "were taking bets on" won would they still pay out? Seems to me like they are trying to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

adrian522 wrote: »
    Surely if they weren't taking bets on all 4 they shouldn't have taken the bet in the first place?

If someone comes in with a docket with those matches on it then yeah they will refund it no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's is a hand written docket. Then they might not notice.
    It's unlikelynthat anybody else bet on the same matches if the bookies didn't offer that market, (if that's the reason, still hasn't been made clear)

Advertisement