Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Aid Kits For Gardaí

Options
  • 10-02-2015 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

What would be a good basic first aid kit to have for first aid situations. For on and off duty for gardai to have in their car? What would you include in the kit?

Gloves, bandages, gauze, scissors, tape etc. ?

Also, where would be a good place buy these kits or buy parts of the kit to assemble them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Xios wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

What would be a good basic first aid kit to have for first aid situations. For on and off duty for gardai to have in their car? What would you include in the kit?

Gloves, bandages, gauze, scissors, tape etc. ?

Also, where would be a good place buy these kits or buy parts of the kit to assemble them.

Try flashpointsystems.ie. They have ready made kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

McWotever wrote: »
    Try flashpointsystems.ie. They have ready made kits.

thanks, looking at it now.

Also, just wondering what other members have in their kits, any tips or ideas of what additional things are practical in these kits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

thanks, looking at it now.

Also, just wondering what other members have in their kits, any tips or ideas of what additional things are practical in these kits?

I gotta ask... Why? I can understand everyone having a first aid kit in their car but why specify off duty Gardai?

As for on duty, use what your supplied with... Or else!

bravestar wrote: »
    I gotta ask... Why? I can understand everyone having a first aid kit in their car but why specify off duty Gardai?

As for on duty, use what your supplied with... Or else!

Currently in templemore training, was just thinking of getting a set of kits for our class, some we can stick in our cars/rooms/homes and get familiar with what's inside them. Can't hurt to have the kits to get familiar with and they're cheap enough, 10-20 euro. Just wanna get them all something of a decent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

Someone please tell me that Garda cars at the bare minimum have first aid kits..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The brudder is a Guard and shortly after having to deal with an RTA where they had trouble extracting trapped casualties because of jammed seatbelts he got one of these

200709-omag-swiss-army-knife-250x250.jpg

I also got one and keep it in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Easy : they're a bit brighter than the average bunny, don't run around like headless chickens when something happens, they'd be used to people who may not be able to communicate so well

Jawgap wrote: »
    The brudder is a Guard and shortly after having to deal with an RTA where they had trouble extracting trapped casualties because of jammed seatbelts he got one of these

I also got one and keep it in the car.

Got one of these from the civil defence, designed specifically for it. Smash windows with the spring loaded spike, and cut seatbelts with the safety blade.

res1me1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Currently in templemore training, was just thinking of getting a set of kits for our class, some we can stick in our cars/rooms/homes and get familiar with what's inside them. Can't hurt to have the kits to get familiar with and they're cheap enough, 10-20 euro. Just wanna get them all something of a decent quality.

Have they removed first aid from the training scheme? It was there when I went through. Yes it's good to have kits but don't go spending your own money on it. It's provided in the job. If you really want to spend money, get latex gloves and lots of them as they tend to disappear quickly. Just make sure there are not the powdered type, ruins your trousers :)

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Someone please tell me that Garda cars at the bare minimum have first aid kits..

Yes, they do, so do stations. :)

Have they removed first aid from the training scheme? It was there when I went through. Yes it's good to have kits but don't go spending your own money on it. It's provided in the job. If you really want to spend money, get latex gloves and lots of them as they tend to disappear quickly. Just make sure there are not the powdered type, ruins your trousers :)

there is still OFA training done in the college, but it's not certified at the moment, some bureaucratic problems stopping it.

there is still OFA training done in the college, but it's not certified at the moment, some bureaucratic problems stopping it.

It wasn't when I did it in 2006 either. In all honesty, people tend to ring for an ambulance when there are injuries due to assaults or accidents or even murders.

We are the last to get a call and it's mostly from ambo/fire control, letting us know they have a tender on the way to something and might need us too. In other words they are often there first, so they can do their thing and we can do ours.

How long have you got left to go? I need some files typed ;)

It wasn't when I did it in 2006 either. In all honesty, people tend to ring for an ambulance when there are injuries due to assaults or accidents or even murders.

We are the last to get a call and it's mostly from ambo/fire control, letting us know they have a tender on the way to something and might need us too. In other words they are often there first, so they can do their thing and we can do ours.

How long have you got left to go? I need some files typed ;)

A long while yet. But, sure, just outsource your file typing to bangladesh :)

A long while yet. But, sure, just outsource your file typing to bangladesh :)

Good call, I'll run it by the super in the morning! Best of luck with the training and I'll leave you with some words of wisdom I received from a Templemore legend who is no longer there... If you quit before getting out and seeing what the job is really like, you deserve to be shot with a ball of your own sh!te. :)

Wise words...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

All vehicles to carry defibs. Good idea or bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

flazio wrote: »

How could it be a bad idea?

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    How could it be a bad idea?

Costs - would it represent the best use of limited resources?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Costs - would it represent the best use of limited resources?

AGS need to move towards the 21st century.

Cost should not be an excuse.

It's not an excuse. Resources are finite and AGS, like any organisation, has to decide what to spend it's allocated budget on.

If it puts defibs in every Garda vehicle (or significant proportion of them) what must be foregone to fund that equipment, training etc?

In ideal world, if money were no object, all Garda vehicles would have a defib, but we don't live in an ideal world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

All vehicles and public office have first aid kits.

Now whether they actually have them is another thing. Where i am our vehicles have all the gear all the time.

Have yet to ever have to use it because as stated by a previous poster, normally its ambulance or brigade that get there first as that's who people call when there's injury. We normally get the notified of incident from their control to our control who gives it to our dispatcher and we get called.

So there's already a time delay in us being aware of the incident.
    Also I'll back up what bravestar said.....dont get the powdery gloves!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Do defibs not cost close to 50k? That's a hefty expense for something that's going to spend its lifetime in the boot of a car. If somebody needs the use of one the first thing they'll do is call an ambulance so the chances of it ever being used are minimal.

Edit: don't know where I got the 50k from. 1500-5k appears to be the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

It's not an excuse. Resources are finite and AGS, like any organisation, has to decide what to spend it's allocated budget on.

If it puts defibs in every Garda vehicle (or significant proportion of them) what must be foregone to fund that equipment, training etc?

In ideal world, if money were no object, all Garda vehicles would have a defib, but we don't live in an ideal world.

There should be a defib in every district patrol car, they generally attend the majority of calls and are always mobile, there is plenty of money being spent on less important things. AGS time for management with common sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

flazio wrote: »

About 50 defibs should cover it so

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Whosthis wrote: »
    Do defibs not cost close to 50k?

A defib costs anything from 50 euro up to 1500 euro for a hospital grade defib.

Before we start putting anything into the boots of patrol cars we need

One standard patrol car
    An equipment holder insert, built into the boots of each of these patrol cars

which would contain the following..

1. normal stinger
    2. motorway stinger
    3. fire extinguisher
    4. first aid kit
    5. Defib
    6. spare tyre
    7. breaching equipment
    8. shields and extended batons
    9. ligature cutter
    10. Evidence bags, cordons, flashing beacons, spray paint, mepro's exhibits charts, blank dvd's etc

All of the above will never happen as long as the Gardai and the GRA put up with a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher thrown in the back of a 1.4 or 1.6 diesel family car.

Do you think the Ambulance Service would put up with a ford transit with all the equipment they regularly require thrown on the floor in the back, without it being sorted and compartmentalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Spend your money on a decent leatherman type tool. I've lost count of the number of times I've made use of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Bloodwing wrote: »
    Spend your money on a decent leatherman type tool. I've lost count of the number of times I've made use of mine.

And keep a No.4 bandage handy for when you invariably slice your own finger off with it. I've only knuckles left on one hand at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Good call, I'll run it by the super in the morning! Best of luck with the training and I'll leave you with some words of wisdom I received from a Templemore legend who is no longer there... If you quit before getting out and seeing what the job is really like, you deserve to be shot with a ball of your own sh!te. :)

Wise words...

There's only one man wise enough up there to say something like that.

P.H.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Why should the Gardai have to spend their money of First Aid Kits for motorists.

Simply legislate that all vehicles must be equipped with a standard first aid kit. Then in the event of any RTC there are plenty around. Should your kit be used in an RTC you can claim the cost of a replacement kit from the state. By quoting the date time and emergency unit that attended.

All cars sold from showrooms must have them etc

If your car has no kit then you can be fined by Gardai or your vehicle declared un-roadworthy, the fines plus vat on the kits can go towards buying Defibs and the like for Garda Cars.

Two birds ,,,one stone

• Advertisement

There's only one man wise enough up there to say something like that.

P.H.???

Got it in one mate! :)

Advertisement