Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ear infection in baby

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

He put grommets in today: they had to put the iv in her neck for the op she's still very uncomfortable now :( but hopefully they will help.

That sounds so awful :( your poor little man.... Can they not clean out his ear at the same time? Ye must be so stressed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

cyning wrote: »
    He put grommets in today: they had to put the iv in her neck for the op she's still very uncomfortable now :( but hopefully they will help.

That sounds so awful :( your poor little man.... Can they not clean out his ear at the same time? Ye must be so stressed out

Not stressed out at all.
    He needs to book the time for the full procedure.
    If he books it first time out and doesn't need it some other kid looses the chance to be seen.

Glad yours in doing OK. Make sure no water gets in the ear. Cotton wool and valesine works great for baths and showers.
    Calpol / ibuprofen should help the discomfort. Hopefully the grommets wont fall out too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Tat and Cy your poor little ones have certainly been through it! Tough going.

My LO has been v hard to put down at nite since ear infection. Has anyone experienced this? It's as though he has a negative association cos that nite he screamed so much. We didn't know at first what was wrong and kept putting him back in cot. Now for past 2 wks we gave to soothe him to sleep (feeding/rocking) and I know this is baaad!

That makes sense! Hope he does a bit better soon: I gave her voltarol going to bed last night so giving her paralink and neurofen today... She has a bit of a temp but under 38 so keeping fingers crossed it settles down :)

73trix I know my little lady has awful problems sleeping after them too but it passes: don't worry about bad habits they can be changed too!

An update on junior.

My son had surgery yesterday on his ear.
    It was meant to be a quick look to see what was going on but the surgeon decided to take a look inside and found a regrowth of the Cholesteatoma in the middle ear and decided to clean it out.
    He was back in recovery in an hour and eating ice cream on the way home in the car 2 hours later.

He's back in clinic in 2 months and back in School on Monday :)

• Advertisement

They really bounce back fast don't they?! Will it be something they have to keep cleaning out?

cyning wrote: »
    They really bounce back fast don't they?! Will it be something they have to keep cleaning out?

The surgeon was confident that as he got older the need would reduce but we're probably looking at a repeat procedure in 12 months.

The anesthetic mask is still bothering him. He didn't like the smell :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Back at doc today with my moss. Now nearly 3.5yrs. Had grommets at 21mnths.
    In jan we were reffered again to ent as ears were bugging her amd throat .
    The grommets are gone. And after being up from 11-4am last night with her (shes normally a great sleeper)
    She has an ear infection and a lot of fluid build up too .
    We have an audiology appointment monday perfect timing . Shes been very clingy whiney and not herself for some time now. And lately ignoring so i thought but now possibly not hearing me. So gp wants results from audiology and going to send to ent again. She has also finally been reffered to speech and language as she is still behind.
    Starting preschool next week. Hoping she is feeling better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Suucee wrote: »
    Back at doc today with my moss. Now nearly 3.5yrs. Had grommets at 21mnths.
    In jan we were reffered again to ent as ears were bugging her amd throat .
    The grommets are gone. And after being up from 11-4am last night with her (shes normally a great sleeper)
    She has an ear infection and a lot of fluid build up too .
    We have an audiology appointment monday perfect timing . Shes been very clingy whiney and not herself for some time now. And lately ignoring so i thought but now possibly not hearing me. So gp wants results from audiology and going to send to ent again. She has also finally been reffered to speech and language as she is still behind.
    Starting preschool next week. Hoping she is feeling better.

Hi succee, was she talking before the grommets or if not, did it take long for her speech to develop. Our 2.5 yr old had grommets fitted 2 weeks ago but I'm really not seeing any difference is his efforts to make new sounds. On list for s&l but they've said he's a bit young and we have to work with him at home :(

yellow hen wrote:
    Hi succee, was she talking before the grommets or if not, did it take long for her speech to develop. Our 2.5 yr old had grommets fitted 2 weeks ago but I'm really not seeing any difference is his efforts to make new sounds. On list for s&l but they've said he's a bit young and we have to work with him at home

She had a few words before she was 1 mama dada etc etc. But slowly started to lose her words. At 21mnths she didnt even have 10. It took about 4 mnths to see a major improvement speech wise tbh. Then she came on in leaps and bounds .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Suucee wrote: »
    She had a few words before she was 1 mama dada etc etc. But slowly started to lose her words. At 21mnths she didnt even have 10. It took about 4 mnths to see a major improvement speech wise tbh. Then she came on in leaps and bounds .

Thanks. Praying it comes soon. We have maybe 2-3 words and even they're hard to distinguish sometimes. Must be so frustrating for them.

Yea it is so hard. They must be so frustrated not able to tell us whats wrong. I thought by now she would be able to say. "My ear hurts" or "my belly hurts" or what ever but still not able to communicate it well enough. Her speech is fairly good and hoping pre school will help more too. But her friends are all able to play better together as they can communicate but she is getting left behind sometimes.
    We will see what happens with test tomorrow.
    Ive a 17mnth old too and hearing him sometimes saying words. He has more now than she had at 2yrs or more .

Advertisement