Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coca cola life

Options
  • 07-02-2015 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

So Coca Cola have released Coca Cola Life (green label) which apparently uses some form of stevia instead of artifical sweeteners. Does this now mean it's ok to drink now or is it the same poison with a different name tag?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ankers99

Coca Cola Life use the natural sweetner stevia alongside 35gms of sugar per 500ml bottle which is 40% ur daily sugar intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Since when was coke not OK to drink :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

If you want a coke just drink a coke. None of this coke lite or diet coke etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

It was never poison. It'll never be of any benefit to your diet but it won't kill you either. I'd consider it more useless than harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

ezra_pound wrote: »
    If you want a coke just drink a coke. None of this coke lite or diet coke etc.

Why?

Diet coke tastes basically the same, without any of the sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Caffeine is the world’s most popular psychoactive drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

ch750536 wrote:
    Caffeine is the world’s most popular psychoactive drug.

Relevance?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Why?

Coke Zero tastes nearly the same, Diet Coke tastes like crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Diet Coke is artificially sweetened New Coke, Coke Zero is sugar-less regular coke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Coke

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Its 6.7% sugar. Regular Lilt and cidona have less sugar. I wish they just had a reduced sugar one with no sweeteners.

Regular coke is 10.6% sugar here.

I know a guy who only drinks diet, hates zero & regular coke. He is by no means drinking it for dieting purposes. I hate diet coke, would prefer most cheapo supermarket brands over it.

Tesco have a 30% less sugar cola now, 7.6%, it has sweeteners too.
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=280304869

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

coke zero is nice with lots of ice .....

diet coke has a very powdery taste to it ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Relevance?

Question of "Why" was asked.
    Which coke is irrelevant. Its the caffeine you want. (Obviously not the caffeine free one...)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

ankers99 wrote: »
    Coca Cola Life use the natural sweetner stevia alongside 35gms of sugar per 500ml bottle which is 40% ur daily sugar intake.

How do you know what my daily sugar intake should be? You know nothing about my work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 krsnaAH

I checked in many stores and Coke Life is not available anywhere, why is this so?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

krsnaAH wrote: »
    I checked in many stores and Coke Life is not available anywhere, why is this so?

Discontinued.

It was piss anyway. Give me a regular coke or throw the others down the drain!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

krsnaAH wrote: »
    But it is working fine in the States, not sure why they have discontinued here.

Think about what you said for a minute...how would it working fine in the states, correlate to it not being discontinued here?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Why?

Neither taste anything like regular coke, they are muck.

Neither taste anything like regular coke, they are muck.
    loads of people I know would say otherwise. Coke zero tastes very like regular coke to me, which is what they set out to do. I have heard many people say they were amazed at how close it tasted. Maybe you have an unusual aversion to the sweeteners, is there any diet drink you like?

Diet coke was never supposed to taste like regular coke. Diet coke was supposed to taste like "new coke". When "new coke" was taken off the market they kept diet coke. It has a distinctly different taste, I hate the stuff, and would take most own brand diet colas over it.

I know several people who love diet coke and hate the taste of regular coke, and it is not since they are on diets and do not want to admit it. One colleague is a good 18 stone and eats junk, I got him a coke zero as there was no diet coke and he just said no thanks and did without any drink rather than suffer it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's probably because I've drank it more than most people in the past haha. The only diet drinks I've tried are cokes. Oh Pepsi too, theirs is nice enough. TBF I can tell the difference between normal cokes in different countries too. US regular coke is particularly awful (It's the HFC syrup instead of sugar), I like the rest.

Coke zero to me tastes like a halfway house between coke and diet coke, more similar but very distinct and unlikable.

I am not a heavy coke consumer, but I like classic coke over diet or zero coke as the later tastes like diluted classic coke.
    And I have heard that Coke Life tastes similar to classic / regular coke the only difference was of the sweetener.
    As it is discontinued unable to find out the taste difference on my own.

• Advertisement

Coke says on their website that they are working on sustainability but it don't look like so as they must work on ban of plastic bottles and work only on cans or else make a better recycle policy for plastic containers to make a difference in market of soft drink beverages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

OP here, I have no idea why I even started this thread, I must have been listening to too much Food Babe at the time :D

rawn wrote: »
    OP here, I have no idea why I even started this thread, I must have been listening to too much Food Babe at the time :D

Yes it is a very old post, was saw few display posters somewhere about coke life and when searched found this one.:)

It's probably because I've drank it more than most people in the past haha...

US regular coke is particularly awful (It's the HFC syrup instead of sugar), I like the rest.
    Ah right so..., that would most definitely point to you as having an extremely unusual palate so -if you drink loads of the stuff, yet find US coke "particularly awful".

That is fair enough if you explain it, then others will/may understand, but you may want to know (I would have presumed you do know) if you just some out at first and bluntly say "they are muck" then you come across like a ****-stirring troll to many. I have seen many of your posts before so did not thing that was the case and was wondering what was up.

Yeah that may have come across badly but was not intentional. I've always had a keen palate that thwarted my mothers attempts to change sweetcorn from frozen to canned secretly as a child :pac:

It was common for our group visiting the US to not like their version of coke. I believe they trialed a similar thing here (or at least a sweeter version) and the population didn't take to it. They have a different formula for each country as far as I know. In the US I read about a trial between Mexican coke (sugar) and their regular coke (HFC). 85% could tell the difference and 80% preferred the Mexican coke. I had always assumed before that it was just what taste people were used to that decided it. Coke seem to make the formulae very specific so i wonder what data they have on it as often the sugar amount can vary quite slightly from country to country. I'd say maybe that is true with similar ingredients but HCF and sugar may just be too different.

In at least one of their plants in the US (Atlanta) they had samples available of cokes from around the world to let people taste the difference, I'd love a go.

Advertisement