Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calorie counts on menus?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

The number for white wine seems awfully precise for a product with huge variability, and so should be taken with a grain of salt.

Call me a snob, but I wouldn't put salt in my wine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,062 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

meeeeh wrote: »
    Thank you for repeating the same thing for the 100th time. Except it has nothing to do with the point I was making. Beer has also calories from carbs that get easily absorbed, spirtits have less. on the link above you have percentage of calories from alcohol in drinks and the higher the value the better. Beer is in general at the bottom of the list. No I am finished on this subject because either I can't explain properly or some are too dense to .understand.
    Not all beer has a lot it carbs. Some have none. Sweeter wines will have much more sugar than dry.
    The fact that beat spirits have the highest amount of calories from alcohol is irrelevant when you are adding a standard mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

And diet coke etc is not great for you, it's got **** in it your body can't handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Calories are calories at the end of the day.

An excess of calories will be stored as fat if not used. Alcohol is empty calories in that it does not have any nutritional value.

They're not though. It's well established that the body doesn't metabolise calories from alcohol the same way it does calories from food.

There's a huge amount of studies cited here if you want to read further, but it's been covered pretty comprehensively on the thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

It's nice to have info, but unless people have the motivation to eat better it won't really make a difference I think.
    Some see all the studies as nearly an excuse to eat what they like, saying stuff like sure they say one minute it's good next it's bad. When really take away all the food advice and they make some other excuse to eat bad and not exercise and put on weight. Vocally to others though it'll rarely be I'm like this because I eat **** and don't exercise. Self esteem seems to be a huge part too.
    Also I saw it away, as everyone was bigger, over weight people were the average so you thought you were just normal weight if a few stone over weight because such a high % of the population were over weight. People didn't know their kids were obese. But that was USA, in France it's the opposite, it's like peer pressure or something similar. It's less ok socially to be over weight, that has to play a role in the levels of obesity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

You also tend to eat far more if you have alcohol with your food, up to 30% more.

Except if you're my boyfriend who completely loses his appetite once alcohol hits his stomach, jammy git!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Mellor wrote: »
    Another reason that alcohol calories aren’t equal is due to the physical effect alcohol has. It raises body temp, and it’s also needs to be broken down, both of these actions require energy. Raising body temp increases your metabolic rate, so you burning more energy.

That's not really right. Alcohol doesn't raise your body temperature. It sends more blood to your skin and limbs by making your vessels wider, and this makes you feel warmer, but you are actually losing temperature.

Advertisement