Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges Protest.

Options
  • 05-02-2015 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

WaterfordProtest_zps325a460f.jpg

Well done to all & great to see such a turn out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

WaterfordProtest_zps325a460f.jpg

Well done to all & great to see such a turn out!

How many did turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The first peaceful protest i've seen down here in relation to Water Charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The first peaceful protest i've seen down here in relation to Water Charges.

Ah just give it up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Do we believe that close to 1 million people have registered with Irish Water?

I don't believe it tbh. Nothing to do with Irish Water, I just don't believe that 1 million people would bother their arses to go out of their way and do something. If we had to register for free coal, you can be sure most people would forget or just wouldn't be bothered to fill out the forms.

Propaganda is alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I don't believe it tbh. Nothing to do with Irish Water, I just don't believe that 1 million people would bother their arses to go out of their way and do something. If we had to register for free coal, you can be sure most people would forget or just wouldn't be bothered to fill out the forms.

Propaganda is alive and well.

I was thinking about that, anyone with a well, or their own supply would most probably have registered because it really has no down side for them to do so, and they are considered "customers" and would be a very large group of people in Ireland due to our "enlightened" planning laws over the last thirty years.
    This would surely bulk up the registered numbers heavily?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I was thinking about that, anyone with a well, or their own supply would most probably have registered because it really has no down side for them to do so, and they are considered "customers" and would be a very large group of people in Ireland due to our "enlightened" planning laws over the last thirty years.
    This would surely bulk up the registered numbers heavily?

on the other hand, maybe a lot of those left to register have their own well or part of schemes too and dotn realise that they are meant to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

or maybe there are a lot of people in the country who are willing to pay?

I'm registered and willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Hijpo

invalid wrote: »

Go you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

invalid wrote: »

Mmmm.... you're already paying for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Boycott Topaz?

I think some people need to have a look at the situation properly before boycotting Topaz.

• Advertisement

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Mmmm.... you're already paying for it.

Really?

Or are we borrowing the money to pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No matter what side you are on, it says alot about an area when people can protest in a an organised and peaceful manner.

Well done to all concerned.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't believe it tbh.....

Didn't loads of people also claim that the goverment lied about the numbers for people that had registered for the property tax? Of course reality showed that they actually had and the compliance numbers are very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Cabaal wrote: »
    Didn't loads of people also claim that the goverment lied about the numbers for people that had registered for the property tax? Of course reality showed that they actually had and the compliance numbers are very high.

There were threats of tax compliance certs, deductions at source, fines and so on.
    This is different, you must acknowledge that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Cabaal wrote: »

People had no choice in the matter of the property tax due to revenue being involved one way or another that money was to be gotten because its the property TAX

Water charges are completely different in that regard, no revenue involvement so theres a choice pay or don't pay, paying will see people suffer the consequences in years to come, IW is a for profit company everything it borrows needs to be paid back and whose paying it back us, and with the revelations that came out of pac this week adding it all up already some people will be paying a 1000 euro or more through general tax subvention and the bills

Anyone who thinks that he water charge will go to updating the infrastructure are deluding themselves at this stage itll be diverted to something else as it always is in this country

Setting up Irish water and getting water charges up and running at any cost at this stage it seems I simply do not agree or will never agree with

Shin

shinzon wrote: »
    People had no choice in the matter of the property tax due to revenue being involved one way or another that money was to be gotten because its the property TAX

Water charges are completely different in that regard, no revenue involvement so theres a choice pay or don't pay, paying will see people suffer the consequences in years to come, IW is a for profit company everything it borrows needs to be paid back and whose paying it back us, and with the revelations that came out of pac this week adding it all up already some people will be paying a 1000 euro or more through general tax subvention and the bills

Anyone who thinks that he water charge will go to updating the infrastructure are deluding themselves at this stage itll be diverted to something else as it always is in this country

Setting up Irish water and getting water charges up and running at any cost at this stage it seems I simply do not agree or will never agree with

Shin

I don't follow. Are you saying we shouldn't have a water infrastructure so?

Or just carry on with what we have, which is clearly inefficient and in need of huge investment?

I don't follow. Are you saying we shouldn't have a water infrastructure so?

Or just carry on with what we have, which is clearly inefficient and in need of huge investment?

What im saying is they've already diverted property tax and road tax into IW to subvent it, so what these taxes were supposed to be used for they weren't, same will happen to the Water charges, they'll be something else some government will want to do and the money will go there and the infrastructure will be left to rot

Shin

What im saying is they've already diverted property tax and road tax into IW to subvent it, so what these taxes were supposed to be used for they weren't, same will happen to the Water charges, they'll be something else some government will want to do and the money will go there and the infrastructure will be left to rot

Shin

This is hilarious. Look at what you just typed. You've just explained the EXACT reason why a standalone entity is needed.

This is hilarious. Look at what you just typed. You've just explained the EXACT reason why a standalone entity is needed.

Not sure what meaning you taking from what I posted but whatever floats your boat I guess

Shin

Not sure what meaning you taking from what I posted but whatever floats your boat I guess

Shin

Well if IW is a separate semi-state entity how could the govt divert the income it raises through water charges?

• Advertisement

Well if IW is a separate semi-state entity how could the govt divert the income it raises through water charges?

Easy do what they've always done take it anyway don't tell anyone for years then someone finds out leaks it outrage soon follows rinse repeat basically

Shin

Easy do what they've always done take it anyway don't tell anyone for years then someone finds out leaks it outrage soon follows rinse repeat basically

Shin

When did that last happen?

When did that last happen?

umm the road tax and property tax subvented to IW, nobody had a clue till they said it in the PAC hearings last week

Shin

umm the road tax and property tax subvented to IW, nobody had a clue till they said it in the PAC hearings last week

Shin

That's not what you're talking about though. You're suggesting that money charged by a state owned utility (ESB, Bord Gais) was secretly siphoned off. So this didnt happen then?

All that happened during the week is we were told that, surprise surprise, that money raised through general taxation was given to IW. How that was news baffles me, since we were always told there would be subvention.

That's not what you're talking about though. You're suggesting that money charged by a state owned utility (ESB, Bord Gais) was secretly siphoned off. So this didnt happen then?

its exactly what im talking about, how do we know whats going on anywhere in all honesty

Shin

its exactly what im talking about, how do we know whats going on anywhere in all honesty

Shin

It's not.

You're veering into conspiracy theory territory.

It's not.

You're veering into conspiracy theory territory.

Was it a conspiracy theory when everyone said the property tax wasn't going to goto local services oh wait..........

Shin

Was it a conspiracy theory when everyone said the property tax wasn't going to goto local services oh wait..........

Shin

Did local services stop being funded for want of that money?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hijpo wrote: »
    There were threats of tax compliance certs, deductions at source, fines and so on.
    This is different, you must acknowledge that at least.

But didn't loads of people also claim defiance in relation to fines etc?

What happened to these big crowds of defiant people? Compliance is pretty damn high for this charge, people are either protesting or they are not...it would appear they are not and had no real intention of going against it only for keyboard warriors on the internet claiming they'd do zyx.

I'm betting the exact same thing happens with the Irish Water charges, big on words but between idiots undermining the protests by abusing our president (and being proud of it) and the charges actually coming in, the compliance with the registration is high.

Claiming the numbers are made up is kinda silly, unless you have credible evidence to show otherwise.

• Advertisement

Shin

Road tax?
    Motor Tax has been used the same way as general taxation for a long long time now...its funded education, health etc. If part or all of it gets redirected to setup a utility company as a temp measure then thats a decision of the goverment.

Do you think the goverment didn't use tax money to setup ESB etc when they were setup by the state?

Advertisement