Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish pubs vs British pubs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Only watched it the other day actually. Soul destroying. Blow your brains out kind of stuff

Haha +1000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

lufties wrote: »
    Haha +1000

Maybe I was just having a very bad hangover day, but went down to McDonalds to get a big mac and chips (lack of any deli making rolls anywhere in the country it seems), and I could have sworn the big mac had been sitting there a day and was just reheated. Warm plastic your eating. Makes the McDonalds over here seem like a 3 course meal in the Shelbourne. Now bearing all this in mind, and the fact Weatherspoons is notorious for cheap and rubbish food, I can't even begin to imagine the big pile of slop they throw you there. Not my scene at all I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

He's from Liverpool. Like The Beatles.:)
    It's hard to tell.. he's got about 4 different accents. Jesus Christ.. he's pure fromage.

I'm just in from one of these awful, terrible English pubs. 4 or 5 local craft beers on, bit of trad, smoking inside, no closing time, sound barmaid. Horrible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Maybe I was just having a very bad hangover day, but went down to McDonalds to get a big mac and chips (lack of any deli making rolls anywhere in the country it seems), and I could have sworn the big mac had been sitting there a day and was just reheated. Warm plastic your eating. Makes the McDonalds over here seem like a 3 course meal in the Shelbourne. Now bearing all this in mind, and the fact Weatherspoons is notorious for cheap and rubbish food, I can't even begin to imagine the big pile of slop they throw you there. Not my scene at all I'm afraid

So, British alcohol gives you worse hangovers and British McDonalds is inedible while Irish McDs is culinary perfection?

Absolute shyte talk. Really hate bumping into Irish people like you when abroad particularly when they expect me to agree with all the grass is greener rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irish pubs and Britannic pubs cannot be simply divided like that, a pub in rural yorkshire would be very like an Irish pub, and a swanky pub in the pale wouldn't be the same as a pub in rural ireland so it wouldn't.

What's nice about some of the rural English pubs is that dog owners can (and do) bring their pets in, or the pub has a 'resident' dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

What's nice about some of the rural English pubs is that dog owners can (and do) bring their pets in, or the pub has a 'resident' dog.

This is the case in many london pubs too, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

some of the cliches in this thread are just boring and embarassing. one things for certain, their drink selection is head and shoulders above ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Irish Pubs vs British Pubs

One has lager louts in Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal jerseys swigging pints boisterously while watching Premiership football, singing in English accents and making a general t*t of themselves.

The other is in Britain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Omackeral wrote: »
    Irish Pubs vs British Pubs

One has lager louts in Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal jerseys swigging pints boisterously while watching Premiership football, singing in English accents and making a general t*t of themselves.

The other is in Britain.

Does this happen a lot? I know Rugby fans in pubs fall silent when there is a penalty:confused: I watch sport at home so i avoid all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

raymann wrote: »
    some of the cliches in this thread are just boring and embarassing. one things for certain, their drink selection is head and shoulders above ours.

The debates over so-called craft beers and Wetherspoons on boards definitely proves that beer/pubs are a complete blind spot in some Irish people's otherwise normal sense of objectivity.

It's like some people that claim to have been in England frequently have consciously overlaid their actual experience of the place with a sepia, patriotism filter and have managed to return with a completely different experience to other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I lived in rural England and London for a combination of about 5 odd years back in the late 90's. I've been to some lovely pubs in Shropshire, Devon and Cornwall in some rural locations. They can be in some respects on par with a rural Irish pub. But most are brewery run and leased by the landlord - can feel a bit depersonalised.

London is different, obviously a huge variety of pubs - there are some legendary bars that I drank in a lot and some absolute dives. I generally find bar staff better here - they can take a few orders at a time whereas in London they would tend to deal with one customer at a time, doesn't matter how busy the pub is - overall I would prefer the atmosphere of a Dublin pub that's not to say we have our own fair share of sh!t holes that I wouldn't go near.

One thing I detested are those slot machines - I hope they never infiltrate our pubs like they did over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

Irish pubs nicer but UK pubs got lots of choice with the beer. Fekking Deaigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

What a load of bollocks. Many Irish pubs are dives, crapholes and unwelcoming. Probably about the same %age as those in the UK.

they've never been in the Greyhound in Blanchardstown :)

And I don't know what is mixed in pints in the UK, but Magners over there certainly has a lingering bad taste that you don't get in Bulmers over here, and it goes for all drinks, whether it be Heineken or Guinness or whatever.

you are obviously a connoisseur. and to think you are talking about 'the ****e that passes for alcohol'...

I have extensive experience drinking in both countries.

Some English pubs are fantastic. Get a genuine old country pub or a traditional pub in a city and they are unbeatable. Also, some of the friendliest pubs I have been in are in England. Try going out for the night in Liverpool - way more sociable than Dublin imho.

In the country the (good) places make much more of the fact that they are in the country. Beer gardens with views, decent food. Sitting overlooking a village green etc. Also there is in general better beer in English pubs, if you like real ale which I do.

On the other hand, there definitely is a problem with chain pubs and I would say you have to know where you want to go rather than just walk in somewhere randomly. Some places are just awful soulless dives. The lows are lower than the irish lows. Also in the country there are a lot of pubs that are really more restuarants now. Dead in the evenings, pretty tedious / stuck up during the day.

Irish pubs are more consistent and the traditional pubs of Dublin (or wherever you are) etc are as good as it gets really. There's less of a tradition of stand-alone country pubs in Ireland which is a shame.

The trendy places are the same everywhere.

Advertisement