Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

65% polled are against compulsory water fluoridation

Options
  • 04-02-2015 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

From the journal.ie

COUNCILLORS IN GALWAY have become the latest to call for an end to water fluoridation.
    Representatives in Dublin and Cork have also made similar calls with campaigners saying councils for some two million people now want the policy scrapped.
    Those in favour of the policy, like dentists at the Royal College of Surgeons, say that fluoridation protects against tooth decay.
    But what do you think?
    Today’s poll, Are you in favour of water fluoridation?

Poll Results: No = 65%, Yes = 27%, Don't Know = 7%

We need a referendum on this. Forced medication via the water supply is unconstitutional.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Can't find the poll on the Journal, how many people were sampled? What councillors in Galway and which representatives in Dublin and Cork are calling for it to end?

Story, if quoted accurately tells me little to nothing. Personally I have no problem with fluoride in my water.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For me, the scientific evidence against flouridation hasn't formed a comprehensive case yet. Listening to populist soapboxers and cause-seeking politicians doesn't yet overrule science and medicine for me.

If there is substantive, peer-reviewed evidence to support this belief, then of course, it should be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

So if something is 'scientifically proven' then it is forced on people?

Explain the current sugary, fatty foods. Explain the over medication. Explain the alchohol.

Whether something is deemed good for you or not is irrelevant. Choice should still be offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

We need a comparison if someone brushed their teeth twice a day what improvement is there by having flouride added to the water. Comparing the improvement for someone who doesn't brush their teeth at all is non nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

We need a comparison if someone brushed their teeth twice a day what improvement is there by having flouride added to the water. Comparing the improvement for someone who doesn't brush their teeth at all is non nonsensical.

The people that are not brushing their teeth at all are the ones being targetted by fluoridation. They are the ones suffering when fluoridation stops. They are the ones that cost the state much more money through dental treatments than fluoridation costs.

Using people who brush their teeth in such comparisons would be nonsensical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    The people that are not brushing their teeth at all are the ones being targetted by fluoridation. They are the ones suffering when fluoridation stops. They are the ones that cost the state much more money through dental treatments than fluoridation costs.

Using people who brush their teeth in such comparisons would be nonsensical.

Would it not be better if St Vincent De Paul gave out toothpaste to the poor? The majority of people brush their teeth, crazy if the comparison is not on the majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Would it not be better if St Vincent De Paul gave out toothpaste to the poor? The majority of people brush their teeth, crazy if the comparison is not on the majority of people.

Bottom line is you cant force the poor to use them, and education in this area seems to fall short, so as long as fluoridation is the cheaper option that's what will happen. The trouble is it's the children in these disadvantaged situations that suffer most when fluoridation stops. Giving them toothbrushes and letting them have at it simply wont cut it.

In essence, those of us who do brush daily should use flouride free toothpaste

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

From the journal.ie

COUNCILLORS IN GALWAY have become the latest to call for an end to water fluoridation.
    Representatives in Dublin and Cork have also made similar calls with campaigners saying councils for some two million people now want the policy scrapped.
    Those in favour of the policy, like dentists at the Royal College of Surgeons, say that fluoridation protects against tooth decay.
    But what do you think?
    Today’s poll, Are you in favour of water fluoridation?

Poll Results: No = 65%, Yes = 27%, Don't Know = 7%

We need a referendum on this. Forced medication via the water supply is unconstitutional.
    It isn't and never has been. I suggest you read judgment in Ryan -v- Attorney General (1965). It's available with a quick Google, which I believe these days counts as "serious research".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

ch750536 wrote: »
    So if something is 'scientifically proven' then it is forced on people?

Explain the current sugary, fatty foods. Explain the over medication. Explain the alchohol.

Whether something is deemed good for you or not is irrelevant. Choice should still be offered.

It is offered, No one forces you to drink tap water.

• Advertisement

Like saying you have the choice to live or die, as long as you do what I tell you.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

No one forces them to be connected to the public water supply.
    If you don't like the fluoridation, for whatever crazy pseudo scientific reason.. (I really like the mind control one). Filter your water, Drill your own well, or drink your own piss.

The dental system in Ireland is already stretched so thin , having more people need cavities filled would be a disaster.

There's no scientific evidence that the levels of fluoridation are anything but beneficial for dental health. If you want to refute this , Pubmed links please , no agenda driven websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

ch750536 wrote: »
    Like saying you have the choice to live or die, as long as you do what I tell you.
    :rolleyes:

Are you saying there is no alternative to tap.water?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not sure if everyone gets the same ads in the phone but one for dental implants appears under papu's post above on mine.

Probably the government planting subliminal messages about the options without fluoridation...

Tomorrow the govt announces something that helps people who abuse their liver through excessive drinking. It needs to be added to the air we breathe. They publish their scientific proof.

This weekend they start spraying.

You happy?

Are you saying there is no alternative to tap.water?

I'm saying there is no alternative tap water.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Journal poll. You might as well print a large poster with "No" on it and ask monkeys to fling poo at it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Youve already brought this topic up in other forums, and you seem to have seagulled it in here when your other avenues of discussion were closed. This is not about nutrition but a political agenda, it seems. Im closing it, if you want it reopened I will discuss it via pm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement