Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psyllium Husks

Options
  • 02-02-2015 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭

Do these work?
    Everyone says they are fantastic. I just want something to keep things moving regularly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Depends on the person I would say. I tried them in capsules form. I never found I was able to regulate my system, so to speak - tried taking them at different times of the day and at different stages with/before meals. Gave up after about 3 months - still have a huge stash of them :o

I was later diagnosed with Diverticulitis, so it could just have been me. Playing around with my diet has had far, far better effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

juke wrote: »
    Depends on the person I would say. I tried them in capsules form.
    There's prob not enough in capsules to have an effect. When I used it, I was taking a heaped spoonful in water. 5-10g per serve.
    The raw husk in tv bag is most effective I found, but the fine ground flavoured stuff is good too with an equivalent dose. More expensive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I use them on daily basis in my porridge. Adds a slightly different taste and texture to it, but I think they works well. Taking in powder form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The capsules have 1000mg in them and you take 2 a day. The guy on the shop I was in takes them himself had he said take 2 at night and you have a really impressive movement the next morning.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    The capsules have 1000mg in them and you take 2 a day. The guy on the shop I was in takes them himself had he said take 2 at night and you have a really impressive movement the next morning.

2g of fibre is almost nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Mellor wrote: »
    2g of fibre is almost nothing.

Agree. I take 10g per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Usually take around 10g a day of this in the morning , adding a vit. C tablet masks the flavor.
    It's a supplement though , you should be getting Fibre from from other sources as well. RDA of fibre is close to 20g. I doubt most people get to half that.

These say take 1000mg a day but I'll have another look and see if there's ones with more in them.
    Do they make a big difference to stools?

papu wrote: »
    Usually take around 10g a day of this in the morning , adding a vit. C tablet masks the flavor.
    It's a supplement though , you should be getting Fibre from from other sources as well. RDA of fibre is close to 20g. I doubt most people get to half that.
    That's what I do, toss my vit. C's in with it. Easier to rake both that way.
    I aim for 10 supplement and 10g diet (when I'm taking husk)
    ryanf1 wrote: »
    These say take 1000mg a day but I'll have another look and see if there's ones with more in them.
    Do they make a big difference to stools?

They say to take 1g as it would be very hard to sell capsules that are 10 times the size. I would bother looking for bigger capsules, a lot easier and cheaper to take plain husk.

I started taking them and went well for a few days but now starting to experience the opposite of intended effect. Does this just mean I'm not drinking enough water?

• Advertisement
Advertisement