Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sundrive Reopening Saturday February 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Eproctophilia

Good lord!!

I have no idea how you know these things Harrybelafonte, but it's disturbing!! LOL

(I had to google it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Jaypers, didn't know there was such a thing! I've lived a sheltered life!

Good to get back out on a track bike again, and to pop my sundrive cherry!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Eproctophilia

Grim

I found Saturday's session tough. I was ****ed on the road on Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

gadetra wrote: »
    Grim

Briom

Yeah, agree Gadetra, but I don't like doing anything out of the saddle.

Briom

Yeah, agree Gadetra, but I don't like doing anything out of the saddle.

Same. It goes against my natural cycling instincts! I think that's why I was so ****ed.

• Advertisement

anyone out this weekend? Weather looks good (OK, I havent checked, but I'm eternally optimistic)

Won't be out, heading to london to visit the girlfriend (and to do the Saturday open meet at hhv, but she doesn't know that yet).

Yep, I'll be there as ever. It's gonna be a dry, sunny, windless day...in my imagination!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I've gone to the track cycling a number of times over the last few weekends in Sundrive and I reckon I will give the league a go. I have a track bike frame, it's a bit heavy but regardless of this I'm thinking of investing in a track wheelset to throw on the bike. I was thinking of going for something reasonably cheap.

I was thinking of Miche XPress:
    http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.php?p=product&id=446

Has anyone got any advice/recommendations?

mal1 wrote: »
    I've gone to the track cycling a number of times over the last few weekends in Sundrive and I reckon I will give the league a go. I have a track bike frame, it's a bit heavy but regardless of this I'm thinking of investing in a track wheelset to throw on the bike. I was thinking of going for something reasonably cheap.

I was thinking of Miche XPress:
    http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.php?p=product&id=446

Has anyone got any advice/recommendations?

These will do you for the league tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I race on them, solid and smooth. There are lighter and better but they do the job nicely IMO

i missed last weekend, but think I will be there this saturday. Looking forward to it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

lennymc wrote: »
    i missed last weekend, but think I will be there this saturday. Looking forward to it.

So it's confirmed lenny - you're not doing the Stamullen race and have effectively retired from road racing while you turn your destructive tendencies to the track....:pac:

Last Saturday we all bust a gut in the warm-up then got chastised at the suggestion we may put some effort into out team pursuit practice - never trust a Yorkshireman I say - not one that's coaching anyway

Should be down Saturday morning, have no interest in an a1/2/3/4/jun handicap in ardcath, and not much interest in the a3/jun stamullen gp....I'm following Lenny's lead!

Beasty wrote: »
    So it's confirmed lenny - you're not doing the Stamullen race and have effectively retired from road racing while you turn your destructive tendencies to the track....:pac:

Last Saturday we all bust a gut in the warm-up then got chastised at the suggestion we may put some effort into out team pursuit practice - never trust a Yorkshireman I say - not one that's coaching anyway

It's a forced retirement - i was hoping to make a triumphant return to RR this week in the Dundalk league, but the races have been postponed. I was also hoping to get to Mondello on Tuesday but instead I am going to a marshal briefing on Thursday for the Drogheda races. Have something else on Wednesday, so three nights in a row would have been quite unfair on my main sponsor. I am looking forward to getting back to RR. Any word from the vets? Are the TTs still going ahead? (slightly OT)

That was fun. Thanks to beasty for the lead out. I really enjoyed the blob racing aswell!

Did I hear someone say that the league starts in about 3 weeks?

Haha blob racing, that made me chuckle!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I took great pleasure in directing the following at certain riders "Blob-up Mr Blobby" (had to get my retaliation in first:p)

That was a pretty decent session, despite the wind.

League starts 2 weeks on Wednesday lenny.

Blob racing was the business! Have a ways to go to get comfy in a bunch. Or blob. I feel my old technique of racing around the outside may not be the way forward…I need to become one with the blob. Ohm.
    The out of the saddle work was good too.

Hoping to get the brave pants by the Autumn league!

Colm_gti gets the award for being an animal for doing both the Derney and the session after. Fast. We need an 'Animal' group in the league!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Has to be asked, what is blob racing?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »

Being in a bunch, moving around, then sprinting, re-blobbing, sprinting, re-blobbing etc. Blob-sprint-blob. It was fun.

He does another blobby session where it remains as one group (now known as a blob) and the whistle blows in relation to the finish line and the group/blob has to go faster or slower depending on whether the whistle is before or after the line. It's a war of attrition!

gadetra wrote: »
    We need an 'Animal' group in the league!
    So long as Beasty's are exempt....
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Paddy Davis was coach and towards the end he got the group (of getting on for 20) to do a lap together then treat the next lap as a race. After that second lap everyone had to re-group in a "blob" before doing the same again 2 laps later. It was good to get into a largish group all over the track at pace, mimicking a real race situation without dropping anyone.

So long as Beasty's are exempt....

Beasty's are exempt! :pac::P

lennymc wrote: »
    Thanks to beasty for the lead out.
    Just been looking at the data lenny.

First time I was leading you out I started at 114w/28kph. Within 5 seconds I had upped it to 437w/32kph. Another 5 and it was 600w/35.7kph. Then we had the wind behind us. At 15s it was 664w/39.1kph and at 20s 703w/43.1kph. I "released" you at about 25s, 745w/47.4kph (overall average 581w over 25s), so I think it worked very well that time with me upping the power and speed throughout the leadout

My top speed when you were leading me out was only 47.7 and I only got up to 713w, although I guess the "sprint" was back into the headwind (averaged 547w over 45s)

images_zpsuiok87jb.jpeg

:P

Haha, the sun was out and I was already there, would have been rude to not hang around for the 10am session, I was glad of switching to the lighter gear though!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

colm_gti wrote: »
    I was glad of switching to the lighter gear though!

I've always been curious, what size gears do people use for the derny sessions?

I've always been curious, what size gears do people use for the derny sessions?

I tend to use whatever I ride a scratch race on, some people size down to work on cadence, and some people size up for....some reason?

I was thinking about this after our chatting about it on Saturday and I started to wonder if it was a kind of "work on fitness first, then strength" plan?

• Advertisement

Just been looking at the data lenny.

First time I was leading you out I started at 114w/28kph. Within 5 seconds I had upped it to 437w/32kph. Another 5 and it was 600w/35.7kph. Then we had the wind behind us. At 15s it was 664w/39.1kph and at 20s 703w/43.1kph. I "released" you at about 25s, 745w/47.4kph (overall average 581w over 25s), so I think it worked very well that time with me upping the power and speed throughout the leadout

My top speed when you were leading me out was only 47.7 and I only got up to 713w, although I guess the "sprint" was back into the headwind (averaged 547w over 45s)

Yeah - it was a grand lead out. thanks for the numbers. The headwind was tough alright.

Advertisement