Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Dinners

Options
  • 02-02-2015 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice. Trying to be as health concious as I can but finding it difficult. I have my breakfast / lunch and snacks under control but finding dinners a challenge. Myself and my husband are both fans of hearty filling dinners - bacon & cabbage / stews/ lamb chops, ect. Im a little open minded but my husband is not good for trying "different" things. Has any one any ideas for healthy home cooked meals that is true to the good old irish dinner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice. Trying to be as health concious as I can but finding it difficult. I have my breakfast / lunch and snacks under control but finding dinners a challenge. Myself and my husband are both fans of hearty filling dinners - bacon & cabbage / stews/ lamb chops, ect. Im a little open minded but my husband is not good for trying "different" things. Has any one any ideas for healthy home cooked meals that is true to the good old irish dinner.

Why do you think your dinners aren't healthy?

Nothing wrong with stew, bacon and cabbage etc.

Well, unless there's a food mountain on your plate every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

You could try having the same dinners but loose the spuds/pasta/rice/chips and replace with more meat and veg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We were totally stuck in a dinners 'rut' before Christmas and I got Derval O Rourkes new cookery book as a present. I find it great, have been having lovely dinners since. Curry, bolognese, Shepards pie, stuffed peppers, beef stew. It's all really tasty (although one of the lentils dishes didn't go down well!), and all very easy to prepare. Most of it can be prepared in advance and reheated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lovaabitacraic

Why do you think your dinners aren't healthy?

Nothing wrong with stew, bacon and cabbage etc.

Well, unless there's a food mountain on your plate every day.

I dont think there's anything wrong with what were having, I love stew!!! :) Im just running out of ideas and would love to try something else. Im getting bored with them.

Im going to check out Derval O Rourkes cookery book, thanks!!! Its so hard to find a cookery book with just regular, every day meals, with "normal-ish" food for us fussy eaters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Yes to be honest when I got it I was like 'thanks' and thinking to myself how it'd end up covered in dust under the press like all my other cook books but it's really good. Have only been using it for dinners but as I say they're geneeally very easy and don't use a load of ingredients that you'd never have and would have to spend a fortune buying every week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 lovaabitacraic

sillysocks wrote: »
    Yes to be honest when I got it I was like 'thanks' and thinking to myself how it'd end up covered in dust under the press like all my other cook books but it's really good. Have only been using it for dinners but as I say they're geneeally very easy and don't use a load of ingredients that you'd never have and would have to spend a fortune buying every week!

That's great to hear and exactly what Im looking for!!! Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I dont think there's anything wrong with what were having, I love stew!!! :) Im just running out of ideas and would love to try something else. Im getting bored with them.

Ah, ok. It just read like you didn't think they were healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah, ok. It just read like you didn't think they were healthy.

That's the way I read it too tbh.

The most must "irish" home cooked meals are unhealthy is the portion sizes, not the ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Im going to check out Derval O Rourkes cookery book, thanks!!! Its so hard to find a cookery book with just regular, every day meals, with "normal-ish" food for us fussy eaters :)

The Hairy Bikers _Eat For Life book has nice ordinary recipes like Seafood pie, Goulash, Stroganoff, curries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

I often eat "cauliflower rice" instead of the real stuff. I sometimes make a pizza base with it too. Sweet potato is yummy too. You could mash it or make chips in the oven. I also do zucchini noodles (easy of you have a spiraliser). Parsnip chips (I shallow fry them in coconut oil) are another favourite in our house:)

I get loads of ideas from Pinterest and Instagram.

• Advertisement
Advertisement