Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poitin

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Cos it's cooler to say you know a guy, who knows a guy, who might be able to get you some, than to buy it in a shop. :rolleyes:
    There is a poteen available in Celtic Whiskey shop that is 90%, http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Irish-Spirits-and-Liqueurs-Home-Page/knockeen-hills-extra-strength
    That should be comparable to the "bandit" made stuff, strength wise any way.

Shocking price though, would buy a bottle of Redbreast first and have change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

djflawless wrote: »
    On the subject of poitin, a polish guy is getting me a bottle of their version of back shelf brew.called brenbear or something along those lines...
    Had an argument with him about which is stronger :)

It's not difficult to make a strong (70% abv) spirit. Pretty much every spirit is diluted down to bottling strength.
    Strength does not equal quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

woodturner wrote: »
    The shop sold Poitin just doesn't compare to the other.
    Again I would ask you which ones you have had, out of the large amount of varieties out there. At least give people some names to avoid.

This thread reminds me of the nonsense you hear about butchers vs supermarkets. As though all butchers and all supermarkets are identical. And someone says butchers are always better, then someone says the local one is really bad and you get this stupid cop-out reply "well find a better butcher so".

Most poitins I have had are pretty vile, and not particularly high in %.
    Poitin is just unaged whiskey, really.
    I would just define it as illegally distilled alcohol.
    woodturner wrote: »
    There's more alcohol in it than compared to shop bought which gives it more of kick.
    There are 90% commercial ones. I doubt many illegal ones are that, certainly not the ones I tasted. Like illicit powdered drugs it can be diluted down along the supply chain.
    Ipso wrote: »
    What is the backround to it being illegal; is it 800 years of oppression or down to dodgy preparation?
    Its the tax issue, but people perpetuating myths have led to a wariness of the thought of legalizing it. The preparation is easy & quite safe, in many countries it is currently legal to distill, some homebrew shops here sell distillation equipment. There are myths abound about going blind, I have challenged numerous people to find a single instance of someone going blind or hospitalized after drinking home distilled alcohol made from fermented wash. None could ever find one. You will find hundreds of links to people going blind or dying from drinking illegal alcohol, it is invariably criminal gangs selling industrial alcohol as drinking alcohol. This would be a risk here too of course, there have been fake bottles of smirnoff with high levels of other alcohols in them.

If this minimum pricing comes in you can expect more cases.
    GY A1 wrote: »
    thats a rum
    Tesco value vodka is molasses based, so are a few others. So if somebody has an illegally brewed bottle of alcohol made from molasses would you insist on calling it rum, instead of poitin, or do you have some other name? Poitin simply means little pot.

Good poitin would be made from grain. Bad poitin from sugar and water.
    What pretty much all poitin has in common is that it is an unaged white spirit.
    If offered I would go for the sugar based one. There is good reason why a lot of the home distillation community use sugar in their washes when making a neutral spirit. Sugar washes only produce trace amounts of methanol as a by product. Grain ones will have lots more, nothing is produced during distillation, some people think the process is what creates the methanol and other nasties. There is methanol naturally occurring in your beers.
    Ian Wisniewski, one of Britain's leading spirits experts, and Tom Innes, the former editor of bar and lifestyle magazine, Theme

VODKA TEST
    After tasting the following vodkas blind with spirits experts Ian Wisniewski and Tom Innes, here are the winners and the losers. All the vodkas are widely available.
    1st: Glen's (£8.69)
    2nd: Russian Standard (£13.29)
    3rd: Absolut (£14.99)
    4th: Wyborowa (£15.99)
    5th: Finlandia (£14.19)
    Joint 6th: Smirnoff Red (£12.19);
    Stolichnaya (£14.99);
    Belvedere (£30)
    9th: Grey Goose (£30.79)
    10th: Smirnoff Black (£15.99)
    Glens is molasses based,
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/wine/5770943/10-vodkas-put-to-the-test.html

Advertisement