Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instagram

Options
  • 31-01-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering your thoughts on Instagram, it is an interesting topic.

Personally, I've been posting daily since around October. First using my iPhone 4. Now, since purchasing a 1200D, more with that.
    I'm doing it mainly to make me take photos and get better. I'm in a course in college that allows me to visit some cool places in Dublin/Ireland (Architecture) like for example we went to the Botanic Gardens last week.

Now because of the range on Instagrams, there can be a lot of rubbish posted, but I follow some incredible photographers on there (and this helps as I try to emulate them in search of my style)

Anyways, if you're up for it I'd love to here your thoughts!

And if you wanna check out how I'm getting on (I have a few decent photos, I promise) check out my account ~ http://instagram.com/_adammcloughlin or use Iconosquare for a better desktop experience ~ http://iconosquare.com/_adammcloughlin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i love instagram.. i've been on it for 4 years. but for me, it's like a personal photo journal type thing. i follow some amazing photographers on there, but as well i like my friends and family stuff too.
    also, vsco cam is an awesome app for taking pics/editing them before you export to instagram :cool:

check out this thread for other boardsies on IG:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80776958

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I really like it too. Joined a few months ago and put up a mixture of iphone and DSLR shots. I find there is plenty of interaction on Instagram compared to the like of Flickr etc. it also has a much more relaxed feel, I'll put up anything really with my phone and, although I'll put up some DSLR shots that are also on Flickr,I'll also put some up that I wouldnt put on Flickr.

I use Snapseed to to some quick editing of iPhone photos and instasize to resize DSLR photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

check out this thread for other boardsies on IG:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80776958

That thread doesn't seem very active.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

First using my iPhone 4. Now, since purchasing a 1200D, more with that.

I think uploading DSLR photos defeats the original purpose of Instagram.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Effects wrote: »
    I think uploading DSLR photos defeats the original purpose of Instagram.

Agree. It's meant to be "Instant" which is why I've stopped following people that upload from DSLR's. That takes away from the spontaneity of the quick capture and the instantaneous sharing. If I want to see the good stuff I'll check out your blog/website/flickr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

Yeah I completely get the over complication of using a dslr, it's a pain in the ass.
    But I have yet to find a site that I enjoy over it to post those shots.
    Tumblr is something I'm very slowly learning and believe it could be a really cool place to have a photography blog/website.
    Flickr for me is just not something I like, format wise and everything. Personal preference!

But I still love my iPhone 4, even though the camera is pathetic in comparison to more recent models. Hopefully can upgrade by the end of the year. There's something about getting images from it that require more thought. Very satisfying!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

Instagram is what you make it, you can follow the girls on your Facebook and get the same selfies you get on your timeline, or you can follow people like Knate Myers, reuters and a fella called Sean Parker. Its a fantastic app. Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

I absolutely love instagram. Love most of the filters and the effects

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Phones have cameras?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

CabanSail wrote: »
    Phones have cameras?

Jeez, get with the program dude. Phones have had cameras for AGES. They're just not much use if you want to take a shot more than a couple of feet away from the socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'm still holding out for a REALLY good camera that makes poor quality phone calls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Jeez, get with the program dude. Phones have had cameras for AGES. They're just not much use if you want to take a shot more than a couple of feet away from the socket.

What size film do they take?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

CabanSail wrote: »
    What size film do they take?

Very funny, but some people are actually interested in the topic and the sarcy remarks are not very helpful.

It obviously depends on what phone you get. I picked up the Nexus 35 from Google last year:

21622553504_c2d227071b.jpgIMG_20151017_133632

The 5" viewfinder is really bright and clear, you just need to keep an eye that your film canister doesn't get tangled up with your keys in your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

More recent thread on boardsies with Instagram. I have been out of the photography stuff for years (travelling and marathon running took its place) but starting to get the hang of things again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057479714

Advertisement