Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Fry on confronting god after death

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

bb87 wrote: »
    Typical Fry,his unwillingness to explore what Genesis has to sayas to why there is such suffering and evil, highlights his wilful ignorance and dishonesty.

He will deny Satan exists as an active evil force in the world, whilst perfectly describing his existence in the world. Why does Fry see more of Satan than God? Says a lot about him, really.

Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God. Maybe Fry better stop lusting after young men and let go of this bitterness clearly revealed in this clip. Then he will see more of the one true God.

This man needs prayers..

You mean like Phil Collins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

RobertKK wrote: »
    Jesus said, he without sin cast the first stone.

Guess you never read the bible.

Jesus never said anything - someone else said he said it, which is why it's ridiculous to give any of it any credence whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't see why people are so caught up on the age thing? I've had co-workers in their 60s that I got along better with than people my own age, when I was 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

threeball wrote: »
    I'd wager he didn't

Reading the bible is the easiest way to become an atheist. Unless, of course, the childhood brainwashing has had it's intended effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

If anyone can prove to me the existence of a god in any shape a form then i will believe.

Until then it's just a load of bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

UCDVet wrote: »
    I don't see why people are so caught up on the age thing? I've had co-workers in their 60s that I got along better with than people my own age, when I was 20.

It's disguised homophobia, nothing to do with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    If anyone can prove to me the existence of a god in any shape a form then i will believe.

A god is among us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't get this whole god thing that people blindly believe in without ever logically thinking what it is they are believing in.

So if there is one true god, the creator of all, then why would it create something as evil as Satan and let it exist?

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

I don't believe a god....but I still think your argument is lacking. There are plenty of things we couldn't prove, until recently. That doesn't mean they were bull - they were always there, we just didn't know about it.

Einstein offered up his theory of relativity, before he could prove it. It wasn't bull, just because it was proven. Later, it was proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

God told him to hate the gays so that's ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Going by that logic nobody has read the thing.

But people are putting God the creator, as being on an equal footing to the people that the bible says he created.
    Which is the wrong place to start, nowhere does it say we are equal to God.
    God is God, we see a vengeful God, we see a loving God, it is wrong for anyone to just look and talk about a loving God, there is a forgiving God as seen in the parable of the prodigal son.
    But God doesn't show love to those who reject him, but will receive those who turn to him.

Anyone who only talks about a loving God is simply deluded. It is quite clear in the bible that God punishes those who reject him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I was going to say the same thing myself. If a sixty year old man married a 27 year old woman the general reaction would be "fair play to him". The exact same can be said about a sixty year old woman marrying a 27 year old man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

But people are putting God the creator, as being on an equal footing to the people that the bible says he created.
    God is God, we see a vengeful God, we see a loving God, it is wrong for anyone to just look and talk about a loving God, there is a forgiving God as seen in the parable of the prodigal son.
    But God doesn't show love to those who reject him, but will receive those who turn to him.

Anyone who only talks about a loving God is simply deluded. It is quite clear in the bible that God punishes those who reject him.

If we stay with him he won't hurt us?

So all in all he's a bit of a needy ****

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

While letting child rapists and murderers who confess their sins into heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

If we stay with him he won't hurt us?

Errr...surely! The Spanish Inquisition was just trying to make sure that people wouldn't get hurt by God, such a nice bunch o'lads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

danrua01 wrote: »
    You don't need to worry about it, I'm sure both of them know enough to get on with their lives. He's bipolar, he's not a rapist or a murder... Are you saying that people with mental illnesses shouldn't be allowed to be in relationships?

You're veering into strawman territory there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Ah here - do you not release how stupid that sounds

Seems to have very much the same qualities as Tony Montana. Say hello to my little smite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

So God's got a dissociative identity disorder & is a vindictive megalomaniac to boot?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 beer_hunter

chakademus wrote: »
    There's something so insufferable about Stephen Fry.

ive always thought this but in that interview , i could not agree with him more , masterful dissection of the awful charechter known as god

jester77 wrote: »
    I don't get this whole god thing that people blindly believe in without ever logically thinking what it is they are believing in.

So if there is one true god, the creator of all, then why would it create something as evil as Satan and let it exist?

I'm not religious, but generally I think the answer is 'freewill'. But you also have to remember, to a religious person, their time on Earth is infinitely small compared to an infinitely long eternity in heaven. Presumably, Satan has no impact on the eternal bliss we'd find in heaven.

Or maybe the answer is simply beyond us. There are chimps who can communicate with sign language. They even teach their offspring sign language. They can use tools too. Really impressive stuff. But try to explain to a chimp, using it's 500 word vocab. how to calculate something as simple as Pi. The chimp can't understand.

We know there are things much less intelligent than us. If someone is willing to believe in a God that can create the Universe, it doesn't seem so hard to imagine God being more intelligent than us - to a degree that even the smartest human is only the equivalent of a tiny squirrel brain to it. How would you explain why you need to do your taxes to a squirrel?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    A thirty year age gap is what it is no matter how much liberal flip flopping is done around it.

Yeah and the 55 y/o man with his 25 y/o wife nobody says squat.

Post famine that was pretty much the norm, where the eldest son had to wait for mum and dad to die before taking a wife.

If he hadn't taken a woman of child bearing age, there wouldn't have been as many of us around to argue the toss over it now :D

chrysagon wrote: »
    Fry has had a few digs at Christians, irionic that hes a jew.
    And anyway, he has a point,Why would god if he /she existed create a world with such misery.

he has some jewish ancestry , he does not identify as jewish

jester77 wrote: »

Again this goes back to Genesis...
    Genesis claims that death for humans didn't exist until Adam and Eve ate from the forbidden tree which opened their eyes to Good and evil, not to mention their nakedness...and they brought death into the world.
    The angels were not a part of that...the angels don't die, if evil like Satan they get something worse than death which is hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

^^^ What a complete load of nonsense.

What could a baby born with serious physical and mental deformities or one born into an African famine have done to "reject God" and deserve to endure nothing but pain and suffering for what will probably be a short existence?

Ah here - do you not release how stupid that sounds

What that God is vengeful, loving, forgiving?

A human can be all those.

"God" as portrayed in the bible has always been a dick. From telling his followers to kill their children to flooding the world and murdering the majority of the living creatures in it because they weren't paying him enough attention.

his ego only matched in size by his level of insecurity and paranoia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Yeah and the 55 y/o man with his 25 y/o wife nobody says squat.

Post famine that was pretty much the norm, where the eldest son had to wait for mum and dad to die before taking a wife.

If he hadn't taken a woman of child bearing age, there wouldn't have been as many of us around to argue the toss over it now :D

That's a pretty good argument for marriage being about children you've just made right there!

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    That's a pretty good argument for marriage being about children you've just made right there!

So a 30 year age gap is fine in that instance then?

Advertisement