Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeymoon

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

BKWDR wrote: »
    Talk to me buddy.... What where when and where :P
    Extraplus wrote: »
    Any tips for Croatia Dolbert? We'll hopefully be getting away for 10 days at the start of June and I've always liked the idea of Croatia.

We booked through Croatia Tours on Eden Quay. They looked after everything including boat transfers, taxis etc and the accommodation was seriously swanky. We went for two weeks in Dalmatia with four destinations, Corcula, Hvar, Makarska and Dubrovnic. Hvar and Dubrovnic are absolute musts, I have never been anywhere more stunning!

It's the perfect combination of lounging in the sun and culture, we're not ones for lying on a beach all day so it suited us very well. If you go to Hvar, go on the 'Secret Hvar' off-road tour. Vineyards, old ruined villages, fields of lavender and slow food in an eco-village, hands-down the most memorable experience of the trip. There are also countless small islands dotted around and you can just hail a taxi boat any time. We went on a day trip to one of the islands and we had the whole place to ourselves, it was a slice of heaven. It was high 20s/ low 30s when we were there in June but apparently that was hotter than normal, usually that time of year you're looking at mid/high 20s. All in I think it cost us €2k, obviously you could go cheaper but we went with the luxury honeymoon experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Just put our deposit down for cancun today for ourselves for April. Heading 4 days after the wedding for 10 day stay. Can't wait.

Had looked at bali and Seychelles and the likes but they were a bit too relaxing for us. Wanted to have the option of relaxing or activities to do if we wanted and cancun came up trumpsðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

We ar getting married end of July and we are going to Cancun for honeymoon. I know it's supposedly hurricane season but in the last few years early August has been fine.

July/August isnt a great time as lots of places are in hurricane season or else it's winter in Australia/Asia so we decided to risk Cancun.

We are staying 11 nights in Cancun followed by 5 in New Orleans and 3 in Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

We are between Canada and southern Italy now. Guess we'll sort it out in next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Did Sri Lanka a few years ago, unreal holiday, so many experiences in an island the size of Ireland. Easy to self travel as well if that's your thing

• Advertisement

I went to Montreal for a wedding in June a couple of years ago and we rented a cabin on a lake for a few days after the wedding. It was fabulous, cabin came with a row boat and a pedal boat. It was in the laurentian mountains and I still think of it as one of the most peaceful holidays ever.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Did Sri Lanka a few years ago, unreal holiday, so many experiences in an island the size of Ireland. Easy to self travel as well if that's your thing

Supposed to be nice in july also. Hmmnmn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

fits wrote: »
    Supposed to be nice in july also. Hmmnmn

If you need any more info just send a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

We flew to Saigon last August, spent two or three days in the city, then travelled through the Mekong delta over a couple of days before going upriver to Phnom Penh. After a few days there, we headed to Siem Reap and the Angkor temples, before spending a day and a half in Bangkok and flying home. If you like being active on holidays, I'd heartily recommend doing something similar. Prices are vastly cheaper in southeast Asia, so we were able to stay in luxury hotels for ridiculously low prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

ahayes84 wrote: »
    We ar getting married end of July and we are going to Cancun for honeymoon. I know it's supposedly hurricane season but in the last few years early August has been fine.

July/August isnt a great time as lots of places are in hurricane season or else it's winter in Australia/Asia so we decided to risk Cancun.

We are staying 11 nights in Cancun followed by 5 in New Orleans and 3 in Chicago.

We have the exact same problem for next year, were getting married on the 29th July 16. Would love Cancun/Vegas but worried about the hurricane situation.

P.s. we went to Chicago years ago! Loved it there, great city!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

We went to Alaska. Breathtaking views and scenery. Would definitely recommend it. 22 hours of daylight in the summer

Another common one is San fran / Vegas/ LA

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

After our late July wedding we're doing 2 days of luxury in Bangkok, then 4 days in Hoi An, Vietnam, the down to Ho Chi Ming City for 2 days, then budget Bangkok for 3 nights, 2 nights in Kanchanaburi (where the bridge over the river Kwai is) and 5 nights in a bungalow on Koh Tao to finish off. Really looking forward to it - it'll only be our first time in Kanchanaburi but we loved everywhere else and it's been 8 1/2 years. Mixing it up between budget and more luxurious hotels to keep the budget intact and the wonderful street food will ensure that very little will be spent once there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

michellie wrote: »
    We have the exact same problem for next year, were getting married on the 29th July 16. Would love Cancun/Vegas but worried about the hurricane situation.

P.s. we went to Chicago years ago! Loved it there, great city!

Was in Cancun in early July for ours a few years back and we'd sun for 9 of 10 days, rained for 1 day but not for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lovbnmoma

We just booked ours last week for end of Oct, going to Orlando for 3 days and then on a Caribbean cruise for 7 days. Cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭mckildare

nosietoes wrote: »
    After our late July wedding we're doing 2 days of luxury in Bangkok, then 4 days in Hoi An, Vietnam, the down to Ho Chi Ming City for 2 days, then budget Bangkok for 3 nights, 2 nights in Kanchanaburi (where the bridge over the river Kwai is) and 5 nights in a bungalow on Koh Tao to finish off. Really looking forward to it - it'll only be our first time in Kanchanaburi but we loved everywhere else and it's been 8 1/2 years. Mixing it up between budget and more luxurious hotels to keep the budget intact and the wonderful street food will ensure that very little will be spent once there :D

Kanchanaburi is very nice, very relaxing. Wish I could have done more there! Nut bar and restaurant was by very far the nicest Thai food I've ever tasted, a tiny place with only a few seats and one amazing friendly chef. Although looking at recent pictures on tripadvisor, she's upgraded a bit (a new sign at least :pac:)!

Anyone been on a Caribbean cruise for honeymoon or otherwise? I'm looking for locations that would be best for diving/snorkelling, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Don't feel like you need to go somewhere 'honeymooney' OP. We're going to Sweden for 11 days early May. Can't wait! Anyone who has asked thinks it's a bit random though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

Not at all, I'd love to do the Scandinavian countries if we had any money!
    Couple locally went to Iceland for theirs.

Don't feel like you need to go somewhere 'honeymooney' OP. We're going to Sweden for 11 days early May. Can't wait! Anyone who has asked thinks it's a bit random though!

The Nordic countries are lovely to visit, but the very best time to go is from midsummer to mid August. the summers are short. There is often still snow on the ground here on May 1st. I am fairly far north though.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

We're trying to book ours, torn between santorini, Sardinia and Dubrovnik/ Cavtat for 10 days late September. All 3 packages we've been sent look amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

Well after going around 5 different travel agents,we were no further forward. Each one of them did the exact same thing. Asked me where i wanted to go, then sat on the phone for 30 mins completely ignoring me, then came back with the name of a resort/hotel and a price. No choices, they just told me to go home and look the place up on trip advisor and sure 'we will take it from there'.
    They seemed to want me to know exactly what and where i wanted before i sat down.

Anyways, i decided that I could do a better job myself.

So after a few nights googling/tripadvisoring, we have our honeymoon booked.

Flying from Dublin to Hong Kong and spending 3 nights/ 4 days there sightseeing and tasting a lot of the street food, visiting a few fancy restaurants etc before flying to Bali for 9 nights.

We booked into "W Retreat and Spa" and we are staying in a one bedroom villa with its own private pool and day garden.
    It looks absolutely beautiful.

We did it all ourselves and with a bit of shopping around got the lot for ~€5000. Its a lot of money but it will be worth it.

Thanks everyone for commenting on this thread, i think reading that other people were able to plan the whole thing themselves made me less apprehensive .
    I don't think ill ever use a travel agent again.

• Advertisement

Roddylarge wrote: »
    Well after going around 5 different travel agents,we were no further forward. Each one of them did the exact same thing. Asked me where i wanted to go, then sat on the phone for 30 mins completely ignoring me, then came back with the name of a resort/hotel and a price. No choices, they just told me to go home and look the place up on trip advisor and sure 'we will take it from there'.
    They seemed to want me to know exactly what and where i wanted before i sat down.

Anyways, i decided that I could do a better job myself.

So after a few nights googling/tripadvisoring, we have our honeymoon booked.

Flying from Dublin to Hong Kong and spending 3 nights/ 4 days there sightseeing and tasting a lot of the street food, visiting a few fancy restaurants etc before flying to Bali for 9 nights.

We booked into "W Retreat and Spa" and we are staying in a one bedroom villa with its own private pool and day garden.
    It looks absolutely beautiful.

We did it all ourselves and with a bit of shopping around got the lot for ~€5000. Its a lot of money but it will be worth it.

Thanks everyone for commenting on this thread, i think reading that other people were able to plan the whole thing themselves made me less apprehensive .
    I don't think ill ever use a travel agent again.

I was the same i was really annoyed with the travel agents, Trailfinders in particular as they didn't seem to want to listen to our requests. They were flying us out on dates that didn't suit etc.

I thought the benefit of going through a travel agent would be that they could offer alternatives. For example if internal flights were very expensive on one day they would check to see if it was cheaper to stay another night. However none of this was done.

With Skyscanner and trivago its very easy to book a multitrip holiday.

Compared to the quote we go from a travel agent we are paying nearly €1500 less than the quote. We are also going away for 2 more nights than was quoted. In our all-inclusive hotel we have a swim up suite versus the basic room the travel agent quoted and in our other hotels we have breakfast included which wasn't included in the ravel agent quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Thats so helpful to hear. Im thinking its worth it to shop around for flights. Hoping to mix budget hotels with amazing places as we are travelling around. Going to use air bnb and mr. and mrs. Smith.com

It's definitely worth it. If you are combining a number of cities try breaking up the flights into groups. Kayak.com allow you to search multitrip destinations. It can be worth it to make a couple of combinations and search for these as often ebookers and their like will give you a better price depending on the combination used. FOr example it wa cheaper for me to book our main flights to cancun via london and home (again via london) from our last destination then it was to try and book them as seperate trips.

It is a good bit of work but i actually enjoyed doing it. I also tended to book things piecemeal. once i had figured out a couple of non-negotiables date wise i was able to be a little more flexible with bookings. For example i knew the date i wanted to fly out of Ireland, the date i wanted to leave cancun as its the only day there's a direct flight to my next destination. But i was flexible after that and changed my dates around once i found out that my last destination was the most expensive accommodation wise.

Advertisement