Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Chocolate Bars!

Options
  • 28-01-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

I've a fierce sweet tooth!

I see a lot of stuff being advertised in supermarkets that look like they might be tasty but are healthy! Are any of these things actually healthy or is it all nonsense really???!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sugar free ones can cause nausea and an upset stomach due to the excess sweeteners, low fat ones are loaded with sugar too, found this out as I am a diabetic and try to (not very well) find low sugar alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Make yourself a big bowl of Hartleys sugar-free jelly.

Or have a small bar like an Animal Bar if you have to have chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I've a fierce sweet tooth!

I see a lot of stuff being advertised in supermarkets that look like they might be tasty but are healthy! Are any of these things actually healthy or is it all nonsense really???!
    Would you eat dark chocolate? I find with dark chocolate with 85-90% cocoa content, you can have a square or two and it sorts out any craving for sweet stuff. The majority of snack bars that are sold as "healthy" are not really tho and are full of sugar and other crap. You might be better off making your own that way you can control how much sugar goes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

I'm not sure how much chocolate you're eating per day, but if the rest of your diet is fairly healthy and you enjoy your chocolate as a treat then I'd stick to what you're already eating. Chocolate isn't generally a health food - accept this! (OK 85-100% dark chocolate could be considered as such, but I'm talking about your usual milk chocolate here).
    I'd focus more on eating a healthy diet overall and enjoying your treats mindfully when you eat them, knowing they're not the best for you nutritionally, rather than try to find "healthy" chocolate bars. These can often lead to overeating on them anyway - since it's easier to justify eating more of it if it's healthy, or it may not taste as good to you, so you'll eat more of it to satisfy your sweet tooth.
    Obviously this all depends on how much of it you're eating though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

1. Get a bar of moser roth 70%/80%/85% in Aldi
    2. Melt it down
    3. Stir in about 50g each of raisins & chopped almonds
    4. Pour into a tray and freeze/refrigerate
    I love this. I usually have a ready made vanilla protein shake in the fridge, so I stir in about 60ml of that too. It ends up like a fudge and tastes amazing.

It's still chocolate, and the kcals won't be long adding up if you're not careful. But there's some good stuff in it and even a small bit will get rid of sweet cravings immediately and for a good while.

+1 for Hartleys sugar free jelly too, that stuff is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Essien wrote: »
    2. Melt it down

I saw a recipe for this on Transforms ohs blog and made it last night.
    It worked out quiet well, I think I need to work on tempering the chocolate better. I also might try making it with more expensive chocolate like Callebaut or Valahrona next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Essien wrote: »
    2. Melt it down
    I love this. I usually have a ready made vanilla protein shake in the fridge, so I stir in about 60ml of that too. It ends up like a fudge and tastes amazing.

It's still chocolate, and the kcals won't be long adding up if you're not careful. But there's some good stuff in it and even a small bit will get rid of sweet cravings immediately and for a good while.

+1 for Hartleys sugar free jelly too, that stuff is unreal.

I love the sound of that homemade chocolate bar!! I'm so trying that recipe out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

+1 for the Hartley's Sugar-free jelly, and Moser Roth 70% dark chocolate from Aldi.

Advertisement