Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at a savings account and possibly switching my current account too.

Options
  • 28-01-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Have been thinking about opening a savings account recently and have been looking around at the offerings. From my little bit of research, it seems like KBC give the best rates out of the bunch at 3.5%

I went in today to have a talk with them and they really were trying to get me to switch my current account too. They told me that I can bump my interest rate up to 4.5% if I did. However, I believe she was saying that there would be a €6 quarterly fee and also a 20c charge on ATM usage. I am currently with Ulster Bank and I believe (open to correction, but I have never noticed it) that I am charged neither of them. I also have the added benefit of withdrawing from RBS ATMs and not getting charged either.

Any of you care to shine a light on this? Is there a minimum current account balance with KBS? Are there better offers than them or would I be better keeping my current account with Ulster Bank and opening the savings account with KBS.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ulster Bank have had fees for the last while on standard current accounts. You may want to review that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Well most banks offer free banking if you've over a certain amount, or deposit a certain amount every month

AIB
    What’s more, if you maintain a minimum daily credit statement balance of €2,500 in your account for each fee quarter, you can qualify for maintenance and transaction free banking.

Ulster Bank
    To meet this waiver, you need to maintain a minimum cleared balance of €3,000 in your current account for each charging cycle. Examples of these dates are below:

BOI
    To qualify for this offer in this fee quarter you must maintain a minimum credit balance of €3,000 in your Personal Current account throughout the full fee quarter. You will still be liable for the €5 quarterly maintenance fee.

PTSB
    No quarterly fees if you lodge €1,500 monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

The 20c ATM fee (and government levy) can be avoided if you use the cashback facility at a till in a shop.
    The 4.5% interest rate is only until 1st June 2015. After that it goes back to 3.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

BuffyBot wrote:
    Ulster Bank have had fees for the last while on standard current accounts. You may want to review that 

They still haven't figured out that I'm finished college so I'm on a student account. Just realised there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Have been thinking about opening a savings account recently and have been looking around at the offerings. From my little bit of research, it seems like KBC give the best rates out of the bunch at 3.5%

Nationwide UK (Ireland) give the best rate without fees at 4.00%.
    I went in today to have a talk with them and they really were trying to get me to switch my current account too. They told me that I can bump my interest rate up to 4.5% if I did.

The 4.50% rate is a gimmick. The rate ends 1 June 2015, very soon. The rate requires you to pay contingent current account fees that you don't need to pay if you go elsewhere.
    However, I believe she was saying that there would be a €6 quarterly fee and also a 20c charge on ATM usage. I am currently with Ulster Bank and I believe (open to correction, but I have never noticed it) that I am charged neither of them. I also have the added benefit of withdrawing from RBS ATMs and not getting charged either.

Ulster Bank have quarterly fees unless you have a minimum of 3,000 EUR in your account each and every day.
    Is there a minimum current account balance with KBS?

There is a minimum balance requirement to avoid ATM fees but you still pay maintenance fees.
    Are there better offers than them or would I be better keeping my current account with Ulster Bank and opening the savings account with KBS.

Best opening a PTSB current account with no fees and opening a savings account with Nationwide UK (Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

The only draw back to a PTSB current account is the internet banking - can be tricky to transfer funds or use card outside Europe. I'm with PTSB but mainly too lazy to change - tried to use my arm card in America with no joy - my friend had to use his aib one but this was over a year ago - might have improved since then.

The only draw back to a PTSB current account is the internet banking - can be tricky to transfer funds

I have done hundreds of wire transfers with PTSB over the years with zero issues.
    or use card outside Europe.

I have used the card in dozens of countries with no issue other than the fact that you need to tell PTSB that you are going abroad.
    tried to use my arm card in America with no joy

I lived and worked in the USA for 6 months last year and used my PTSB all over the states with no issue whatsoever. Did you ring PTSB in advance and tell them you were going to the USA?

JTMan wrote: »
    Best opening a PTSB current account with no fees and opening a savings account with Nationwide UK (Ireland).

Thank you for all the help.

Even after I get switched over to a main current account, I might stay on with Ulster Bank. The whole family is with them which makes it a lot easier to transfer money between us as opposed to waiting for it to clear if we were with different holders. Also helps that we have a business with a local branch and know everyone working there.

Going to look into nationwide uk now and see what it's like. Thanks for the help!

The whole family is with them which makes it a lot easier to transfer money

Thanks to SEPA, it makes very little difference which bank you are with, payment arrives the next business day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Thanks to SEPA, it makes very little difference which bank you are with, payment arrives the next business day.
    That's for inter-bank transfers. Transfers within a bank can be processed instantly

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Within the same bank the transfers are instantaneous, not the next day.

Within the same bank the transfers are instantaneous, not the next day.

All bank transfers, even intra bank transfers, have a value date. The close of business balance on the value date is used to determine the interest calculation. Even if the movement gets displayed in real time, the value dated balance is not back dated with the movement, it will get subsequent value date.

Advertisement