Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitbit Charge HR

Options
  • 28-01-2015 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

Hey All!

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get a FitBit Charge HR in Plum (Large)? Amazon is not stocking the large and the small is out of stock. I need to measure to see if the small would fit, but from what I've read it's unlikely.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

The small is apparently very small, almost kids size. Haven't seen the plum myself, in fact they seem hard to come by in general.

Amazon and Harvey Norman seem to be the only options I can see, and Harvey Norman are out of stock in store at the mo.

Any brick and mortar shops sell these at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I think the new Fitbit surge is out next week which has the wrist hr monitor might be worth waiting for

I think the new Fitbit surge is out next week which has the wrist hr monitor might be worth waiting for

The charge hr also has the wrist heart rate monitoring (though the hr monitoring this way seems to get mixed reviews).
    Surge has the added benefit of GPS tracking, though you pay about 100 quid extra for the privilege. Not crazy about the look of the surge. Looks a bit bulky.

OP, Argos sell the regular Fitbit Charge (without HR monitoring) in various colours. They seem to sell the HR also but only in black I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

Hey All!

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get a FitBit Charge HR in Plum (Large)? Amazon is not stocking the large and the small is out of stock. I need to measure to see if the small would fit, but from what I've read it's unlikely.

Thanks!

was in harvey norman today in naas, they had the black large charge hr and said that black is the only one available for now and the plum will be available early march

• Advertisement

big_moe wrote: »
    was in harvey norman today in naas, they had the black large charge hr and said that black is the only one available for now and the plum will be available early march

Might try the Blanchardstown branch tomorrow to see if they have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bought one in Argos today in Swords. It tracks HR perfectly for day to day, will wear it out on the club cycle tomorrow and see how it gets on versus my Garmin HR Chest Strap. DC Rainmaker found it very inaccurate for cycling, but given I always wear my Garmin strap that doesnt bother me. Will post up results tomorrow. Few thoughts:

It has to be worn a good bit up the wrist so its going to be hidden when wearing long sleeves.
    Its less comfortable than some of the smaller footprint fitness straps that have gone before, but likely will get used to it.
    HR seems pretty accurate doing day to day stuff.
    You will need a Large, the small is tiny as someone said above.
    Easy to setup and sync with your phone (Note 4 for me)
    Annoying it has a proprietary charger in case it gets lost.

I bought it primarily to track sleep and resting HR so I could see how I am doing when I am not training given my Garmin etc all cover the training time. I think it will do just what I am after and the 5 day battery life is a bonus.

Will post some more if anything comes up.

If you care about the HR quality while exercising:

This is a 5 km run compared to a HR Strap

NrZNxZCl.png

This is an interval session on the Turbo (Bike) compared to a HR strap

NoGUj4zl.png

It seems to deal alot better with the run, now when I was cycling I was chewing the handlebars and suffering so I wasn't aware of how well it was sited on my arm, while I was running I made sure it was sited a bit further up the arm as advised. Its seems to be a bit lost on the bike to begin with but after the first few lactate clearing intervals it tracks ok, but it is off on the peaks, I think it maxes about 180 and I was at and around 190 at the end of some of the intervals.

Thanks for the post Inquitus. Very interesting data.
    For the run, it doesn't look to bad compared to the chest strap. I feared it would be way off.

Still haven't picked up one yet, but plan to in the next week or two.
    How is it at resting heart rate considering it will be further down the wrist during normal wear?
    How was it overall at measuring distance of the run? accurate?

slayerking wrote: »
    Thanks for the post Inquitus. Very interesting data.
    For the run, it doesn't look to bad compared to the chest strap. I feared it would be way off.

Still haven't picked up one yet, but plan to in the next week or two.
    How is it at resting heart rate considering it will be further down the wrist during normal wear?
    How was it overall at measuring distance of the run? accurate?

It was about 1km short on the run 5.3km v 6.3km on the gps, but given I guess the algorithm only has steps and HR to go on it its no surprise as stride length would be a key factor and your HR at various paces would be specific to your fitness.

It seems to work fine when on the wrist for normal HR measurement, though you have to wear it a fair way up.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    It was about 1km short on the run 5.3km v 6.3km on the gps, but given I guess the algorithm only has steps and HR to go on it its no surprise as stride length would be a key factor and your HR at various paces would be specific to your fitness.

It seems to work fine when on the wrist for normal HR measurement, though you have to wear it a fair way up.

Wow, 1km, that's a fair bit off. :confused:
    I've read you can configure things like stride length and whether you wear it on your primary arm or not somewhere in the settings, I'm really hoping these would sort out the distance discrepancies a bit.
    I plan to use it primarily for running (and as an everyday tracker) so it would be kind of crap if it was way off at measuring distance.

My old Garmin forerunner 50 uses a foot pod which seems relatively accurate compared to maps, I'm hoping I can replace it with one of these once I can nail down the distance accuracy that is. HR is a big plus but not a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Greendiamond

Would the small size fit an average sized woman's wrist do you think?

Would the small size fit an average sized woman's wrist do you think?

It might do, but I wouldn't chance it.
    The fitbit website has a sizing tool (pdf doc) that you can print out and check size. You could also just wrap a piece of string around your wrist and see what measurement it is in inches against a measuring tape. Small is 5.5 - 6.7 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Greendiamond

My wrist is 6.6 so think I'd be better with the large
    5.5 must be a tiny wrist !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

All the 'smalls' seem to be absolutely tiny. At least with the large you can fit it to your wrist!

Hoping to get one for my birthday, very excited :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Late but I wanted to update everyone.

I just went ahead and bought the Charge HR in small. I have tiny wrists and it fits me perfectly with room to spare. I wanted to wait it out for the Plum as I heard it would be out early Feb but no such luck so I went with the black. I had the standard charge for a month before but I wanted something to track cal burn better so went with the HR.

It's tracking my resting HR perfectly so far. I'm not back in the gym until Wednesday so I'll put it through it's paces then. I'm not sure if it's because it's new and I'm aware of it, but it's a little less comfortable than the Charge however I do prefer the watch like strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FineFilly

Hi can I ask where you got your plum fitbit I'm looking for charge hr, ordered one on amazon in January but still out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Inquitus wrote: »
    If you care about the HR quality while exercising:

This is a 5 km run compared to a HR Strap

NrZNxZCl.png

This is an interval session on the Turbo (Bike) compared to a HR strap

NoGUj4zl.png

It seems to deal alot better with the run, now when I was cycling I was chewing the handlebars and suffering so I wasn't aware of how well it was sited on my arm, while I was running I made sure it was sited a bit further up the arm as advised. Its seems to be a bit lost on the bike to begin with but after the first few lactate clearing intervals it tracks ok, but it is off on the peaks, I think it maxes about 180 and I was at and around 190 at the end of some of the intervals.

Can I ask how you got a graph like that for the Charge HR? The app/website doesn't give me anything so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I was looking at the HR fitbit at lunch and walked away as thought with all my running and cycling I didn't need this tracker, and thought it would be more suitable for someone looking for motivation to take extra steps a day, but then looking at it has been used for running and cycling would you still recommend it? Am a dreadful sleeper too. I don't tend to use the HR strap with the Garmin though.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It's not bad at all for tracking heart rate while cycling, though it has no dedicated cycling mode, and tends to underestimate the HR a bit, and counts your movement as steps - none of which is ideal but also not catastrophic. In theory you can get it to sync up with mapmyride but I can't get it to work.

The much more expensive Surge has it's own GPS with a cycling mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I printed out that size guide on their page, and the XL is too small for my wrists... I dont' have very large wrists!

fitbit.com is out of the XL size, has it ever been in stock anyone know?

Edit: Sorry - I just read the big sign which was still open on my screen. Out in "July". Lots of time left.

Advertisement