Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Sherlock' actor latest victim of political correctness witch-hunt

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Since White is a colour too, technically, you could say we're all coloured people in a sense :pac:

Also, if what the defensive lefty types on this thread are saying is true then there would be no BBC Newsbeat article on the subject.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

PC gone mad.......not me I just wash and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Since White is a colour too, technically, you could say we're all coloured people in a sense :pac:

White is the absence of color.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

fizzypish wrote: »
    White is the absence of color.

That's black, white is what you get when you mix all the primary colours at the same ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Also, if what the defensive lefty types on this thread are saying is true then there would be no BBC Newsbeat article on the subject.

Nobody is white anyway, unless they're dead. Most "white" people seem to be a sort of brownish-pink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Did you read the newsbeat article? It wasn't full of outrage and Cumberbatch being called a racist at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

People of colour is a stupid term. Whites aren't translucent. Anyway, it groups all non Whites together and reinforces an us versus them mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

strobe wrote: »
    That's black, white is what you get when you mix all the primary colours at the same ratio.

Can't really find a flaw in this. I'll bow to your knowledge and apt user name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I got a good laugh out of that OP. Funny stuff.
    You should start a blog or whatever the kids are into nowadays.

Waterford Whispers News maybe?

People of colour is a stupid term. Whites aren't translucent. Anyway, it groups all non Whites together and reinforces an us versus them mentality.

I have to admit that I thought the whole issue with the term "coloured" was that it lumped everyone together but after reading the thread I can see there was more to it than I thought.

Since I'm white I don't think it's my place to make calls like the one you just did. We're all entitled to our opinion but I wouldn't blame a black person for not caring about mine regarding what they'd like to be referred to as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

strobe wrote: »
    Only if you're talking about light. If you mix all the primary colours using paint you end up with some brownish mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

It's a non-issue for leftists. To all those here frothing at the mouth about the 'liberal media' and 'pc brigade', you're confusing media saturation of a popular actor with a genuine political issue. There's no serious or reputable organisation or individual outraged by his use of language.

The media's coverage of this has all the political depth of Kim Kardashian's arse.

Any chance you might take a break from the hysterics and link to the posts berating the "liberal media" and the "pc brigade"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm so tired of the PC brigade. On the one hand we are encouraged to celebrate black heritage and there's a Music of Black Origin award every year. I don't accept that the majority of black people are offended by the terms 'black' or 'colour'. If so perhaps someone could issue a pamphlet on whatever descriptive term is currently acceptable. Honestly, all this PC ****e is achieving is to annoy people and create more racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭DeadHand

spikeS wrote: »
    I have no problem saying sorry for what my ancestors did, what they did was wrong and I cannot just wash that hurt away

Right, let's take this to it's obvious conclusion.

Native, black Africans were also eager participants in the slave trade and profited handsomely from it. It was seen as a way to eliminate rival tribes and make a few bob in the process, round them up and sell them to the Europeans.

Point being, the average person of west African ancestry is about as likely as the average person of Irish ancestry to have been culpable in the slave trade.

Should black people, therefore, apologise to, er, each other?

The Arabs were probably history's greatest slave traders. During the over 1,000 years of the Arab slave trade they enslaved millions of Europeans and far more Africans. Slavery was still legal in Saudi Arabia as recently as 1962.

Should anyone of Arab background now apologise to white Europeans?

Or maybe some of us should come off the stage and stop attempting to assume guilt for events that happened hundreds of years before any of us was born.

Incidentally, there are still millions of slaves in the world today, almost none of them are being kept by white Europeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

So, is black the preferred term now, or is it African-American? There was a shift away from 'black' a few years ago to 'African-American'. Some people feel this is a racist term though: http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/05/20/why-african-american-is-a-patronizing-even-racist-term/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

African American doesn't really apply to us though does it? Most black people in Ireland probably have no connection to America whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

So, is black the preferred term now, or is it African-American? There was a shift away from 'black' a few years ago to 'African-American'. Some people feel this is a racist term though: http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/05/20/why-african-american-is-a-patronizing-even-racist-term/

"Black" is still quite acceptable. I get how some people consider it can help to maintain a false binary opposition between black and white as opposites, but it's still fairly widely used as it's not so commonly used with a negative meaning.
    Calling someone "a black" might get you into trouble though, as it's very reductive.

It's pretty common knowledge that "African American" is fine.
    For Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

"Black" is still quite acceptable. I get how some people consider it can help to maintain a false binary opposition between black and white as opposites, but it's still fairly widely used as it's not so commonly used with a negative meaning.
    Calling someone "a black" might get you into trouble though, as it's very reductive.

It's pretty common knowledge that "African American" is fine.
    For Americans.

I get what you mean about black having potential negative connotations, but you have to understand how terrified people are of using the 'wrong' phrase and being leapt on by those with an axe to grind.
    Take this article for example-this chap has managed to gain paid employment by screaming that 'black', or any label at all, is 'racist'. (so according to him, you and I are both racist!) Although he does defend Cumberbatch to an extent also.

This is the kind of hysterical nonsense I spoke of when I described an out of control, multi million dollar political correctness industry. I can't see him losing his job here for whipping up the flames of hysteria. And therein lies the problem.

Incidentally, I found an article here that supports my original suggestion that accusations of racism are spiralling out of control: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/racist-is-the-new-black-lets-only-call-it-racism-when-it-really-is-racist-8215515.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Pictured: Brutal Barbados slave plantation where Benedict Cumberbatch's ancestors built their multimillion pound fortune on backs of '250 negroes'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2930172/Benedict-Cumberbatch-s-slave-owning-ancestors-plantation.html#ixzz3QErrJcF9
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

´

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭DeadHand

bjork wrote: »
    Pictured: Brutal Barbados slave plantation where Benedict Cumberbatch's ancestors built their multimillion pound fortune on backs of '250 negroes'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2930172/Benedict-Cumberbatch-s-slave-owning-ancestors-plantation.html#ixzz3QErrJcF9
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

´

What a total non-story.

If we were all to be made to answer for the crimes of our ancestors not one of us would remain unhanged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

I get what you mean about black having potential negative connotations, but you have to understand how terrified people are of using the 'wrong' phrase and being leapt on by those with an axe to grind.
    Take this article for example-this chap has managed to gain paid employment by screaming that 'black', or any label at all, is 'racist'. (so according to him, you and I are both racist!) Although he does defend Cumberbatch to an extent also.

This is the kind of hysterical nonsense I spoke of when I described an out of control, multi million dollar political correctness industry. I can't see him losing his job here for whipping up the flames of hysteria. And therein lies the problem.

Incidentally, I found an article here that supports my original suggestion that accusations of racism are spiralling out of control: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/racist-is-the-new-black-lets-only-call-it-racism-when-it-really-is-racist-8215515.html

The spectator article nailed it:
    There was a massed screeching of outrage and Cumberbatch was forced into making one of those very familiar public apologies, nose scraping the ground, visions of his highly promising career going up in racist smoke.

And:
    A quarter of a century ago the Commission for Racial Equality instructed journalists that British Chinese people should be referred to as ‘black’. You can imagine how that went down with the Chinese.

reprise wrote: »
    Aren't you the genius that said putting your country's flag on your home was racism or something equally wired? Maybe you could tip the ratio further by not posting.

I didn't say that, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

reprise wrote: »
    The spectator article nailed it:
    There was a massed screeching of outrage and Cumberbatch was forced into making one of those very familiar public apologies, nose scraping the ground, visions of his highly promising career going up in racist smoke.

Cumberbatch chose to apologise because he's not a racist and was genuinely sorry for what he said. Almost the entirety of the outrage I've seen has been from people who would rather he hadn't.

Advertisement