Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin school cancels workshop on homophobic bullying, saying “both sides should be r

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If it doesn't pass I'll be chucking the citizenship anyway. That's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

K4t wrote: »
    You can be racist, sexist and homophobic without being a bully. A person is perfectly entitled to hold those beliefs and express them. Associating them with bullying only complicates matters. They should be addressed separately from bullying, which is just bullying at the end of the day.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

What?

The school is showing great care to ensure balance in the debate. As in a referendum, where both sides are according equal voice. While the postponement was poor organisation and late in the day, at least they recognised their error and are willing to postpone it until they have voices willing to speak in support of homophobic bullying, in order to have a balance presentation. Kudos to the school for being willing to present both sides rather than just promote one view or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The school is showing great care to ensure balance in the debate. As in a referendum, where both sides are according equal voice. While the postponement was poor organisation and late in the day, at least they recognised their error and are willing to postpone it until they have voices willing to speak in support of homophobic bullying, in order to have a balance presentation. Kudos to the school for being willing to present both sides rather than just promote one view or the other.

I really hope you're taking the piss with this post.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    If it doesn't pass I'll be chucking the citizenship anyway. That's for sure.

Have you a spare ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

The other side being?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭spikeS

The other side being?

Anti racist and anti sexist bulling talks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The other side being?
    Homophobes? Pro-bullying activists? Homophobes against bullying? Bullies against homophobia?

Homophobes? Pro-bullying activists? Homophobes against bullying? Bullies against homophobia?

You seemed to suggest there's no connection between bullying and homophobia/racism.

Are you serious?

The other side being?

Those pro homophobic bullying.

Probably not easy to get them to speak openly I guess. But clearly there are those who think its a good thing if seminars against it are necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Those pro homophobic bullying.

Probably not easy to get them to speak openly I guess. But clearly there are those who think its a good thing if seminars against it are necessary.

You believe a school should host a group that will argue some children ought to be subjected to bullying?

You seemed to suggest there's no connection between bullying and homophobia/racism.
    You can make a connection of course but they are independent of each other. Homophobia and bullying should be tackled separately for best results imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,851 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can make a connection of course but they are independent of each other. Homophobia and bullying should be tackled separately for best results imo.

How are they independent from each other? Please explain this?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I am guessing you can dislike the homosexual act but be a nice person that doesn't bully people and keep it to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Have you a spare ?

Yup.

You can be homophobic without being a bully and vice versa. There are a lot more homophobes that do not engage in homophobic bullying than homophobes who do in the country.

You can be homophobic without being a bully and vice versa. There are a lot more homophobes that do not engage in homophobic bullying than homophobes who do in the country.

They wish to tackle homophobic bullying.

They wish to tackle homophobic bullying.

Tackling Racial bullying is needed way more atm but I think an all inclusive one would have been best, but if it had to be separate and unfortunately they could only have one non inclusive one they should have tried to fix racial bullying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Good lord!! Are you for real?
    So if this was a work shop on not bullying the fat kids what form would this balance you speak of take?
    " But in fairness Jimmy Burke is a big fat smelly ejit and his dads an out of work alco"
    " Oh. Well seeing as you put it like that....."

Go on. What do you mean by fairness?

spikeS wrote: »
    Tackling Racial bullying is needed way more atm but I think an all inclusive one would have been best, but if it had to be separate and unfortunately they could only have one non inclusive one they should have tried to fix racial bullying

LGBT anti bullying work shops presumably give particular attention to lgbt issues, but must cover a variety of subjects when discussing bullying.

I don't think it's a case of either/or.. I'm sure there is solidarity in relation to any campaign to rid schools of bullying.

• Advertisement

LGBT anti bullying work shops presumably give particular attention to lgbt issues, but must cover a variety of subjects when discussing bullying.

I don't think it's a case of either/or.. I'm sure there is solidarity in relation to any campaign to rid schools of bullying.

Most schools only have the time and funds to do one hence why an all inclusive one is beside for balance, but if you cannot do that racial bullying should have been the first choice it's the most important issue for our youth atm

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

racial bullying should have been the first choice it's the most important issue for our youth atm

Based off what exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 40,851 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And you can be a bully who bullies homophobically.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Gatling wrote: »
    Based off what exactly

Islamphobia is way higher at then homophobia both are important to tackle but it's odd the school skipped racial bullying and went to the lesser homophobic, if I was a parent I would be questioning why not do an inclusive one or why this was picked over the more important issue.

There is more different races in our schools then there is lgbt students

Most schools only have the time and funds to do one hence why an all inclusive one is beside for balance, but if you cannot do that racial bullying should have been the first choice it's the most important issue for our youth atm

Most schools have anti-racist programmes in place already.

Most schools have anti-racist programmes in place already.

Those programmes also cover homophobia, if going to get an outside group an inclusive or one that covers the most important issue should have been got

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Islamphobia is way higher at then homophobia both are important t

There is more different races in our schools then there is lgbt students

You actually can't say that as a matter of fact

Islamophobia I honestly don't think is an issue in schools imo

Gatling wrote: »
    You actually can't say that as a matter of fact

Islamophobia I honestly don't think is an issue in schools imo

It a huge issue atm after France and an anti racial bullying talk would cover all POC and there is more POC in schools then lgbt students to get bullied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

It a huge issue atm after France and an anti racial bullying talk would cover all POC and there is more POC in schools then lgbt students to get bullied.

...people of colour can be LGBT too.

• Advertisement

...people of colour can be LGBT too.

True and they would be top of the stack but a anti POC lgbt bullying talk would be too narrow

Advertisement