Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to remove NCPS Clamp?

Options
  • 27-01-2015 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello,

Yesterday my car was clamped by NCPS in the Ranelagh area.
    I intend to remove the clamp myself but do not have any tools, so
    need to know what tools I need to remove it please.

Will a bolt cutters do it?
    Should I cut the lock or the chain?

Anyone with knowledge/experience in this area
    I will be very very grateful if you could PM me;)

Thanks in advance

PS This is NOT a thread about the legality/illegality of private clamping or what I intend to do, so please no debate on that thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I think you need a sob story. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There's a phone number you can call to get a guy to come out and take it off, saves getting your hands dirty or failing that, maybe try a junior hack saw and make sure to cut through the lock, that way the most you can be liable for is a replacement lock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If one were to remove a clamp from their vehicle without the key to the lock, he would be best advised not to damage the property of another.

A bolt cutters usually will not work on the hardened steel chain.

A rented angle grinder can be very effective, but will damage the clamp.

A decent socket set and pry bar would allow you to move the suspension arm out of the way and let the chain slide off. Jacking up vehicle and removing wheel makes this easier.

Leave clamp for collection by owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Cut clamp off,I find grinder to work very well!

Dispose of clamp

The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

The easiest way to remove it is with a piece of bendy plastic that has a magnetic strip on the back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

goz83 wrote: »
    If one were to remove a clamp from their vehicle without the key to the lock, he would be best advised not to damage the property of another.

A decent socket set and pry bar would allow you to move the suspension arm out of the way and let the chain slide off. Jacking up vehicle and removing wheel makes this easier.

THIS is the only way I would advocate doing the deed. Depends on your skill level and make of car whether it is feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ac123

I don't mind damaging the clamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I jacked the car up years ago and undid the wishbone bolt and it came off, undamaged and handed it back to him. I was clamped illegally as they were patrolling an area whose ownership was in dispute and they didn't have the right to clamp me so I took it off. I hate clampers!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nobody likes clampers - even their spouses don't like them.

Doesn't give us a carte blanche to damage their property if the vehicle is legally clamped however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Nobody likes clampers - even their spouses don't like them.

Doesn't give us a carte blanche to damage their property if the vehicle is legally clamped however.

and there lies the grey area. Private clamping is not legal. Its not illegal either (yet). The only legal clamping is done by the LA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Probably not the best idea making this thread and naming the company, but a con saw or angle grinder is what you need hypothetically

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

worded wrote: »
    The easiest way to remove it is with a piece of bendy plastic that has a magnetic strip on the back

Bolt cutters is faster and cheaper. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

even their website is unprofessional...

"If you appeal and are unsuccessful you have the write to go to an independent appeals service and full information on this process will be provided at the appeals stage."

from http://www.ncps.ie/Rosslare.html

Bolt cutters is faster and cheaper. :D

Have you actually seen it done with a bolt cutters?...i'd be surprised if a bolt cutters will actually do it.
    Did the bolt cutters actually cut through the lock or the chain?

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I jacked the car up years ago and undid the wishbone bolt and it came off, undamaged and handed it back to him. I was clamped illegally as they were patrolling an area whose ownership was in dispute and they didn't have the right to clamp me so I took it off. I hate clampers!!!

I doubt the legality of them inferring with your property under any circumstance. Never been tested in the Courts afaik and probably never will be

ac123 wrote: »
    Have you actually seen it done with a bolt cutters?...i'd be surprised if a bolt cutters will actually do it.
    Did the bolt cutters actually cut through the lock or the chain?

If you have one big enough, shouldn't be a problem. They'll bite anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXQOO3RMXNM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Consaw op, will only take a few seconds. Then dispose of clamp and if ever questioned just deny all knowledge of it.
    Also you seem to have a good handle on this but don't be tempted to listen to any do-gooders on here.

Have you actually done it, or seen it being done?
    Can you tell me the bolt cutters that was used and worked? thanks:)

Consaw op, will only take a few seconds. Then dispose of clamp and if ever questioned just deny all knowledge of it.
    Also you seem to have a good handle on this but don't be tempted to listen to any do-gooders on here.

did you ever do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

once saw a guy trying to remove the clamp from his car in Dublin 8 area, it was right in front of my apartment windows so I got to enjoy the show. He had an angle grinder himself but he wore it out pretty quickly, then he tried with some other tools and whatnot to no avail.. A van arrived with 3 lads and an autogen.. they lift the car to get underneath it and started welding. At this point I felt so sorry for them I was seriously considering offering them a cup of tea - I mean - it was one of those cold dark rain/sleet pissing nights.. anyway some two hours later they finally got it off and I was sort of cheering for them, but I couldn't get one thought of my head - surely 4 guys with a van and a bunch of tools can make more than lousy 80 euro? I mean sure it's a matter of principle and all that but whatever you do, be concious of how much your time costs versus what you will save and all .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

goz83 wrote: »

That's if you are handy with tools and if clamper was an amateur. I am handy with tools but when my car was clamped the chain was put through any possible holes in suspension parts, it was even looped through shock absorber spring. I had no other option than to cut the chain.

pcardin wrote: »
    That's if you are handy with tools and if clamper was an amateur. I am handy with tools but when my car was clamped the chain was put through any possible holes in suspension parts, it was even looped through shock absorber spring. I had no other option than to cut the chain.

What did you use to cut the chain? How long did it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

pcardin wrote: »

Even if it wasn't looped, cutting is still the way to go. If I can get through the chain with a grinder in a couple of seconds, fcuked if I'm going to the trouble and time to jack up the car and dismantle all those parts. If the cnuts didn't want to lose their clamp, lock and chain, why did they take it out of the van in the first place?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I would just cut the chain. They can come after me if they want I wouldn't care.

Thanks.
    So I know an angle grinder will cut it, but unfortunately I don't have one.
    Has anybody actually cut one of these off using a bolt cutters or a hack saw?
    Is it actually possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

knock into a tool rental place, and dont forget to mention what you want it for (as Ive heard of people getting freebies when they hear what its for :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

martinsvi wrote: »
    once saw a guy trying to remove the clamp from his car in Dublin 8 area, it was right in front of my apartment windows so I got to enjoy the show. He had an angle grinder himself but he wore it out pretty quickly, then he tried with some other tools and whatnot to no avail.. A van arrived with 3 lads and an autogen.. they lift the car to get underneath it and started welding. At this point I felt so sorry for them I was seriously considering offering them a cup of tea - I mean - it was one of those cold dark rain/sleet pissing nights.. anyway some two hours later they finally got it off and I was sort of cheering for them, but I couldn't get one thought of my head - surely 4 guys with a van and a bunch of tools can make more than lousy 80 euro? I mean sure it's a matter of principle and all that but whatever you do, be concious of how much your time costs versus what you will save and all .

Sounds like they had a stone cutting disc and were using it on steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Thanks.
    Is it actually possible?

Not seen a chain that a 42" bolt cutters won't go through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thanks.
    Is it actually possible?

Bolt cutters will do it, if the jaws can get a grip, and if the lock is positioned in such a way as to let you lever one arm against the ground. Also, if you can get a length of pipe to slot over the upper handle it'll be easier. The longer the handle, the more force you can apply.

Advertisement