Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theft deterrent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

on a 99 avensis an alarm and imobiliser will stop them taking it, but more often than not by the time these idiots realise there is an alarm or imobiliser they have bent your door back or broken the window....

the big disc lock in post 2 is what u need, a big visual thing like that and they usually shuffle off to the next car, looking for an easier target....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

Caliden wrote: »
    And if you get one of these, don't put the alarm siren under the bonnet like 90% of them.

Do, however, hide the blackjax input somewhere not visible.

I have one of these alarms fitted, ill have to go out and look in the morning but I think the siren is under the bonnet and the key pad was fitted right slap bang in the middle of the dash. I was not happy when I saw how it was fitted:mad: I have the proximity sensor on it as well and the alarm has recently started going crazy on a regular basis, the sensor goes off and then the alarm goes off, have to bring it back to the fitter on Friday. Has anyone else had this problem?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Mind my asking where you bought this? I'm looking into getting a GPS-device for my car to track & trace if taken.

Thanks,

Mine isint hardwired, so even if the battery is cut, it still works. Its cheap and cheerful. Its an iTrack 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Kelly06 wrote: »
    I have one of these alarms fitted, ill have to go out and look in the morning but I think the siren is under the bonnet and the key pad was fitted right slap bang in the middle of the dash. I was not happy when I saw how it was fitted:mad: I have the proximity sensor on it as well and the alarm has recently started going crazy on a regular basis, the sensor goes off and then the alarm goes off, have to bring it back to the fitter on Friday. Has anyone else had this problem?

Sensitivity could be up too high. You can lower it in the 'settings' but you need a manual to follow in order to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Get one of these. They're actually a lovely pet and nobody will enter your garden never mind house if you have one.

rottweiler1000p7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

The blackjack is probably worth more than the car.

Plus depending on the design of the car door they may bend the frame back, so need to deter them before they get to that point!

Maybe you could put a locking pole in your driveway. they are pretty good deterrent if you have a suitable driveway.

driveway-security-post_2_hz.jpg

potted plants are optional extra

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

It doesn't take too long on a vag to program a fresh transponder and drive off in one. I got the secret code off my 02 in around 5 minutes and had the transponder programmed in another 5 all with 20euros of hardware and software off ebay and a laptop . Fair enough I needed the ignition on to do it and used an existing key for that but a screwdriver would do. I bought a Thatcham immobiliser off ebay and have to install that as haven't much confidence in the factory system. the tracker sounds a good idea for those high risk cars and one one offs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

gozunda wrote: »
    One of these in the back .... ;)

article-2008691-014CEA860000044D-514_226x340.jpg

There's an old joke where a guy parks a Porsche in Dublin, alarms it and has a dog inside it. Young scrote shouts at him "hey mister, can your dog put out fires too?"

What you need it this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

Caliden wrote: »
    Sensitivity could be up too high. You can lower it in the 'settings' but you need a manual to follow in order to do it.

Thanks I'll see what the fitter says tomorrow. I'm sleeping with the keys in my hand at this stage. Have had to leave the alarm off a couple of nights to shut it up. My neighbours must love me !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I have one of those security posts, not a neat telescopic one, so I have to bring it into the house when I'm leaving. I use one of those padlocks you can't cut. Lock the car keys into a key box.

.........and yes I have reversed into the post. Twice.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    I have one of those security posts, not a neat telescopic one, so I have to bring it into the house when I'm leaving. I use one of those padlocks you can't cut. Lock the car keys into a key box.

.........and yes I have reversed into the post. Twice.

but what to do with the key to the key box? Safest way would be to swallow it, though the regularity of your trips would now depend on how regular you are...:D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

but what to do with the key to the key box? Safest way would be to swallow it, though the regularity of your trips would now depend on how regular you are...:D:P

Make 6 copies,feed to 6 rottweilers at different times!

Make 6 copies,feed to 6 rottweilers at different times!

Only one copy works, the other 5 will cause the key box to blow up in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Mind my asking where you bought this? I'm looking into getting a GPS-device for my car to track & trace if taken.

Thanks,

You can get them on ebay for around €100. I hardwired mine, so it charged when the ignition was on and had about a week of battery. Aside from what was already mentioned, the model I had in my car could cut power to the engine with a text message command.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

antodeco wrote: »
    Mine isint hardwired, so even if the battery is cut, it still works. Its cheap and cheerful. Its an iTrack 2.0.

Currently sold out on Amazon. Unknown if coming back into stock (added to my wishlist though).

Thank You :)
    goz83 wrote: »
    You can get them on ebay for around €100. I hardwired mine, so it charged when the ignition was on and had about a week of battery. Aside from what was already mentioned, the model I had in my car could cut power to the engine with a text message command.

Thank You :)

I don't use ebay at all. Must ask around. Such varied devices online (& varied prices) might just ask one of the lads to order one for me and ask no questions.

Thanks for replying ^^

Advertisement