Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen Harrier and land-designation conflict

Options
  • 26-01-2015 5:43pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So there's been enough about this in recent weeks/months to justify a thread on it's own I think! For discussion and information, and a repository of information as things develop:

The very very short version of this whole thing is that farmers and farming organisations think farmers should be compensated appropriately for the money they lose out on due to restrictions on protected land/areas - they can't necessarily do everything other farmers in the area can, so to put up with that they want some money so that they can stay in business essentially.

So that's the farming side - what is the conservationist side? What do the conservationists want? They literally want the exact same thing. They want those farmers paid so that they can keep farming but in a way that doesnt damage and maintains habitat, species and ecosystem functions.

Maybe the problem is that the money isn't available for that? Well, yes and no! The EU gave Ireland (via DAFM) €438million for farmers in Natura 2000 (i.e. SPA and SAC sites) in the last RDP - the thing is, nobody knows what happend that money except that those farmers certainly didn't get it. Not only did they not get it, but then the NPWS had to cough up another €13million of taxpayers money for the farmers in Hen Harrier schemes. Supposedly it's not illegal for the DAFM to have switched that money around and used it elsewhere, but given the conflict that would have been completely avoided and the lack of transparency as to where that €438million ended up, it's certainly morally wrong and something they need to be held accountable for!

So that's a quick summary to date. The Irish Raptor Study Group are very on top of this issue, so I recommend following them on Facebook or Twitter if you want to keep up to date. Stay tuned for more links.....

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

A nice summary of the problems faced by Hen Harriers here was outlined in a guest pieces for the Raptor Persecution Scotland blog - well worth a read if you want to get up to speed on the issue:

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2015/01/23/guest-blog-hen-harriers-in-ireland/
    Over the last year or so (and especially over the last few months) there has been an increasing amount of media coverage regarding the political and ecological status of hen harriers in the Republic of Ireland. Much of the media coverage has come from one particular Irish newspaper, heavily influenced by political spin doctors (the equivalent of the Telegraph/Daily Mail in the UK). When these newspaper articles are shared with a UK audience on social media, without an accompanying critique or even a vague understanding of the politics behind each story, a one-sided view of the situation can be accepted as being ‘factual’.

To counter this, we’ve invited a guest blog from somebody who understands both the conservation needs of hen harriers in the RoI and the political landscape in which the story is set. The author wishes to remain anonymous, for obvious reasons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Councillor Johnny Healy-Rae has been speaking out in the media recently, complaining about Hen Harrier designations:

https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/councillors-raise-concern-for-landowners-adversely-affected-by-hen-harrier-conservation-rules/

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/hen-harrier-spa-crippling-farmers-across-east-kerry-30923486.html

https://www.facebook.com/345679678896374/photos/a.345694388894903.1073741826.345679678896374/605080759622930/?type=1&theater

...saying things such as "Why can't we put the hen harriers into the national park, like the eagles" (answers on a postcard!)

...and "...a farm...is now deemed worthless because of a crowd of heroes who want to protect a hen harrier that may or may not show up for one week in the whole year". Now firstly, biodiversity is integral to ecosystem function, on which agriculture and the rest of human society is completely dependant on. By protecting a species such as the hen harrier you are in fact protecting a lot more - habitats and other species, and the functions they contribute to society and the economy. Second of all, birds of prey are big business in Kerry - the tourist industry was and is delighted to have White-tailed Eagles to draw in tourists. Being able to add hen harrier to that list would be hugely beneficial.

As for the restrictions he suggests farmers are under, he's hugely overexaggerating as can be seen here in schedule 4 of the statutory instrument:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishstatutebook.ie%2F2012%2Fen%2Fsi%2F0591.html&h=nAQGAPMkd

An Taisce had this to say in response to Councillor Johnny Healy-Rae's derogatory and uninformed comments:

https://www.facebook.com/AnTaisce/photos/a.307526550456.324114.68916935456/10155178052405457/?type=1&theater
    Cllr Johnny Healy Rae has accused An Taisce of designating half of Kerry for Hen Harriers and making farmers lands worthless http://ow.ly/HWwFa

Up to 4,000 farmers have had their land designated since 2007 in order to protect the endangered Hen Harrier. These farmers are entitled to compensation so that they can continue the traditional farming practices which support not only the Hen Harrier but also the rich natural and cultural heritage of our uplands.

Farmers who feel that their land has been rendered “almost worthless” have directed their frustration at the Hen Harriers and environmental groups. What is clear is that these communities have consistently been failed by politicians like the Healy Raes, the IFA and the Department of Agriculture.

Through the Rural Development Programme Ireland had the opportunity to compensate farmers for costs and income loss resulting from designation. In 2013 the Department of Agriculture cut the budget for designated sites by more than 80%, from €528 million to €95 million, and reallocated the money elsewhere. Where these desperately need funds have disappeared to we don’t know.

These farmers have been sold out and the Hen Harrier is being used as a scapegoat. An Taisce will be fighting to ensure that the affected farmers receive the compensation they deserve in the upcoming Hen Harrier Threat Response Plan stakeholder consultation. We are open to working with any groups or individuals who wish to fight to preserve the rich heritage of our uplands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Farmers in Natura 2000 sites/SPA/SAC will get their GLAS payments capped. A farmer who is farming iñ an intensive way will get no capped payments. It's unfair from the start.
    As regards the Healy-Rae's they spout pure populist propaganda. Farmer's land in designated areas are worthless they say??? My farm is in a SPA and it would be near enough in value to comparable to non-designated lands

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

The problem is rather simple yet complicated. The EU provides significant funds to member states for implementation of nature directives. Unfortunately, the Irish authorities, no doubt led by powerful farming interest groups, spread the money to as many farmers as possible. So a lot get little.

In my view the money should be concentrated on those who dave genuine restrictions in their lands.

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    The problem is rather simple yet complicated. The EU provides significant funds to member states for implementation of nature directives. Unfortunately, the Irish authorities, no doubt led by powerful farming interest groups, spread the money to as many farmers as possible. So a lot get little.

In my view the money should be concentrated on those who dave genuine restrictions in their lands.

Well in this case the money didn't get spread too thin, it disappeared! I'm sure it ended up in farmers pockets in some other way, but not for the reason it was meant! And we have this kind of conflict as a result!

You're right though, it's very much a case of the rich getting richer while the smaller farmers are left to fend for themselves. The Dept of Ag and IFA seem to have a bit of a boys club image, rather than representing the rank and file farmers across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Well in this case the money didn't get spread too thin, it disappeared! I'm sure it ended up in farmers pockets in some other way, but not for the reason it was meant! And we have this kind of conflict as a result!

You're right though, it's very much a case of the rich getting richer while the smaller farmers are left to fend for themselves. The Dept of Ag and IFA seem to have a bit of a boys club image, rather than representing the rank and file farmers across the country.

Ag should only be representing the Irish State and ensuring the best policies, not representing big farmers or otherwise. The farming lobby is far too influential. It is interesting though to see a splintering in support for the IFA with the springing up of "splinter" groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

On a point of information, has there been a census of the Hen Harrier taken in recent years. Have numbers gone up or down since then?

Last national survey was in 2010, from the previous survey it looked like numbers were more-or-less stable, though there appeared to be a wide margin of error, and field effort in the most recent survey was around twice that of the previous ones - so pairs were probably missed in 2005 but not in 2010. And there were severe regional declines noted in a number of former stronghold areas.

The impression from annual monitoring since is that there has been continued decline, and the ticking timebomb of habitat loss due to maturing forestry is having continued negative effects.

So in summary, numbers were low in the last national survey and appear to be getting lower and lower.

Last national survey was in 2010, from the previous survey it looked like numbers were more-or-less stable, though there appeared to be a wide margin of error, and field effort in the most recent survey was around twice that of the previous ones - so pairs were probably missed in 2005 but not in 2010. And there were severe regional declines noted in a number of former stronghold areas.

The impression from annual monitoring since is that there has been continued decline, and the ticking timebomb of habitat loss due to maturing forestry is having continued negative effects.

So in summary, numbers were low in the last national survey and appear to be getting lower and lower.

Most of the SAC's have over 50% alien forestry. THe push by multiple TD's and MEP's for a relaxation of new planting of forestry in SAC will lead to extinction. They couldn't care less though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I am a farmer with degesnated spa land for the hen harrier as with most farmers I like having wildlife close by and have often taken a break from work to watch the hen harrier or kestel hunting over my farm I have always liked birds of prey.
    My problem is having being lied to by government and npws in 2007 about the degesnated part of my farm
    I was told that it would not affect farming practices that I could still plant trees or put up wind turbines and I would be componcated for having it degesnated.
    To date I have received nothing and the land has gotten worse every year because I can't plough or reseed it or spray it for weeds etc.
    Because its wettish land rushes are taking over and ragwort is also creeping in .
    Forestry is seen as a last option if you can't make money from farming as you get a yearly grant for very little work so that's why farmers are asking for it
    If the grant for degesnated land matched the forestry grants I'm sure farmers would be happy with that.
    The problem is that out of over 4 thousand farmers with degesnated land only around three hundred got any grant before they pulled the plug and left the rest with nothing.
    Farmers have been hit by the same tax hikes as every one else property tax universal social charge etc but have also taken cuts to payments like disadvantaged area payment and reps etc and farmers in spas would have worse land and less income than other lowland farmers.
    I have seen land near me for sale at a few hundred an acre and nobody would buy it because is in spa that's less than 20 times what it would make if it was outside it on non degesnated land.
    Having land you can't farm is like having a house you can't live in which makes it worthless.
    I think the best solution to keep everyone happy and increase land value again would be a set grant for every acre of land for every farmer with degesnated land which would give them same return as dairying or forestry or what ever they were making from it before the degesnation
    I not here to whine about how bad things are for me or to look for money for nothing just to state the facts as I see them if you agree with me maybe you could send an email to your local TD and tell them if not that's OK too.

That's the point the conservation organisations are trying to make DJMC - if you have a very attractive, unlimited forestry grant, and a less lucrative and capped hen harrier grant, then no farmer in his right mind would pick the harrier one over the forestry one! And nobody would blame them either. They have to make a living, and a lot of conservation work requires the land to be worked like it was traditionally - you need farmers for that, but obviously they need to be paid for that work!

The Dept of Ag was given a huge amount of money to compensate farmers with designated lands for the restrictions they have to deal with, and that's exactly where the money should have gone. But it didn't, and then people like the NPWS get the blame when the Dept of Ag was given the money to sort it out in the first place!

I hope there's a politician out there who takes a proper look at the whole thing and sees that conservationists and farmers want the same thing, and that's what the government should deliver. Unfortunately Johnny Healy-Rae and politicians like him havn't a clue and they just end up making the situation worse when they talk about it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

ok, this is not really about hen harriers and is from a foreign country :- ) but the RSPB in Antrim have gone to great lengths to encourage good farming practices (good from conservation point of view).
    e.g.
    http://www.farminglife.com/news/farming-news/local-farmer-demonstrates-commitment-to-nature-1-6552808

and

Neal Warnock who is a keen birder in his spare time, works for the RSPB, and is involved in getting Curlews protected on farmland in Glenwherry, with the active co-operation of local farmers.
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/ourwork/farming/b/farming-blog/archive/2014/05/30/giving-nature-a-home-in-glenwherry-a-good-news-story-to-end-the-week.aspx

I think the problem with the governments agenda now is they are more interested in agribusinesses production and exports to bring in money
    Grants given for dairy expansion young farmers etc. While grants for environment and nature like reps have been cut because its not a money earner
    The department of agriculture have a different agenda than npws and are cutting farmers payments for not having ground in good condition eg. Having rushes or heather trees bushes etc. growing on your land.
    I think if the money was given to the npws and department of at keeped out of it they would do a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

djmc wrote: »
    I think the problem with the governments agenda now is they are more interested in agribusinesses production and exports to bring in money
    Grants given for dairy expansion young farmers etc. While grants for environment and nature like reps have been cut because its not a money earner
    The department of agriculture have a different agenda than npws and are cutting farmers payments for not having ground in good condition eg. Having rushes or heather trees bushes etc. growing on your land.
    I think if the money was given to the npws and department of at keeped out of it they would do a better job.

You are right that the Dept of Agriculture is running an agenda contrary to the preservation of SAC,SPA etc. areas and the interests of farmers in these areas. Indeed they seem to be determined to undermine all small non-intensive producers which actually runs contrary to many of the principles in the New CAP as well as a multitude of EU agri-environmental directives. At least increasing numbers of affected farmers have sussed this and the failure of the IFA to take this issue seriously which has led to the formation of groups like the IFDL, who are are calling the Irish governments bluff on some of the misinformation and scapegoating that various ministers and officials have adempted to put out there to cover their own tracks.
    Speaking to some people recently in the loop on this matter it appears that a direct complaint from a number of interested parties on HH matters will be winging its way to Brussels by the summer unless the Irish state fullfills its obligations to properly support traditional farming methods in HH SPA's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hen harrier found shot dead in kerry:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0201/677039-hen-harrier-kerry/

That one was satellite tagged so it was found. I wonder how many more are shot and are never found.

For anyone with an interest, Heathers exploits were documented and discussed here: http://henharrierireland.blogspot.ie/ We essentially know everywhere she's been from the day she left her nest to the day she was shot.

Ove the course of a couple of seasons they put satellite tags on 9 Hen Harrier chicks - Heather was the only one to survive, the others died of starvation etc within a few weeks of fledging.

In her two years Heather has been on the east coast, the west coast, up to Northern Ireland and back home to Kerry - someone commented yesterday that she had been to more counties in Ireland than he had!

She was named by schoolchildren in Kerry, who all eagerly followed her exploits, and she was a great ambassador for wildlife and nature in ireland for the next generation. Unfortunately she is now illustrating a very tough lesson - that there are people out there happy to shoot Hen Harriers and happy to shoot birds of prey. As Capercaillie said, we only know about Heather because she was satellite tagged, how many more Hen Harriers and birds of prey are shot each year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its awful :(

Just heard this on the news and thought for feck sake it will do nothing to help farmers in this area.
    A lot of farmers feel as if their land has been stolen from them any are very angry about it
    Seeing the bird as the problem instead of government policy is just stupid.
    Just want to say there is always someone who will not see the bigger picture and take things into their own hands but they do not represent the majority.
    I also see that costing people their livelihoods taking money from their pockets and food off their families table and telling them its because of a rear animal of bird nesting on their land is going to do nothing to protect to specie's.
    History has shown this with wolves bears ect. Or
    Anything that man has seen as a treath to their livelihoods
    Sorry if this offended anyone but I feel it needed to be said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps farmers and other rural land owners should better be engaged in partnership to assist in attempts to preserve rural traditions. Give the modernisation agenda of the state and the pursuit of short term gains this leads both to poor policy decision and resentment against perceived impositions, such as the Hen Harrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

djmc wrote: »
    Just heard this on the news and thought for feck sake it will do nothing to help farmers in this area.
    A lot of farmers feel as if their land has been stolen from them any are very angry about it
    Seeing the bird as the problem instead of government policy is just stupid.
    Just want to say there is always someone who will not see the bigger picture and take things into their own hands but they do not represent the majority.
    I also see that costing people their livelihoods taking money from their pockets and food off their families table and telling them its because of a rear animal of bird nesting on their land is going to do nothing to protect to specie's.
    History has shown this with wolves bears ect. Or
    Anything that man has seen as a treath to their livelihoods
    Sorry if this offended anyone but I feel it needed to be said.

It should be pointed out that this crime occured in South Kerry nearly 40 miles from the nearest HH SPA in North Kerry. More than likely it was just a random act of thuggery which this part of Kerry has known in the recent past when it comes to serious wildlife crimes

Birdnuts wrote: »
    It should be pointed out that this crime occured in South Kerry nearly 40 miles from the nearest HH SPA in North Kerry. More than likely it was just a random act of thuggery which this part of Kerry has known in the recent past when it comes to serious wildlife crimes

I'd have to look it up, but I think someone said it's an area where some White-tailed Eagles have met their untimely demise in the past too?

I'm sure we all agree that its the work of a particularly bad-minded individual, of which there are many, though they shouldn't be thought of as representative of any of the communities or groups of which they are a part of. That being said, I think the comments of Cllr. Healy-Rae earlier in this thread will increase the likelihood of this kind of terrible act.

The villification of the Hen Harrier is predominantly a result of terrible handling of compensation for farmers with protected land and a fairly useless GLAS scheme for Hen Harriers. Then when populist politicians start mouthing off on something they have no real knowledge of it adds fuel to the fire and polarises the debate.

I've said it here earlier that conservationists and farmers are on the same side here - we definitely have to be careful that the act of an individual in this case doesn't turn us against each other! That won't help any of us, and it definitely won't help the Hen Harrier!

A Birdwatch Ireland piece by Raptor Conservation officer John Lusby about the Hen Harrier - 'Getting to know the bird behind the headlines':

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Publications/eWings/eWingsIssue64January2015/GettingtoknowtheHenHarrier/tabid/1433/Default.aspx

Worth a read whether you're familiar with the Hen Harrier or not!

From the Hen Harrier facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/henharrierireland?refid=52&__tn__=C
    Thanks to everyone for their support. The support that's out there for Hen Harriers is immense and that has been clear for some time. It's often the minority we hear or see quoted in the press and this cowardly, cruel and illegal act was certainly by an individual who does not represent anyone but those who break the law. The community stands firmly behind our native wildlife, especially species that we could lose in our lifetime.

This was from the Limerick Leader newspaper:
    IFA against the Hen Harrier
    'Shoot the bastards'
    By PATRICIA FEEHILY

Threatened and threatening: the hen harrier

OVER 800 people attended the IFA's public meeting in Templeglantine on the Dúchas hen harrier protection plan.

It was one of the biggest meetings ever held in the area, and seldom was the mood so raptorial or so trigger-happy.

It would have been comic if it weren't so serious--serious for the farmers whose lands and livelihoods are threatened by special designation and for the bird which has been in decline since 1900 and which almost became extinct in 1954, apparently from "persecution", although the farmers claim that they lived in harmony together for generations until Dúchas appeared.

Everything was up in the air at the meeting. An attempt by Dúchas director, John Wilson to put the hen harrier in "its historic, legal and scientific context" left the farmers of West Limerick totally unimpressed.

With no real clarification of anything, they emerged from the Devon Inn threatening to "shoot the bastards".

"The hen harrier will need a rosary beads around his neck from now on," growled one of them ominously.

It seems that you'll never take the gun out of Irish politics. The EU already has the gun to the heads of the Dúchas people over the designation of SPAs . "There's a threat of court action if we don't get on with the job," Mr Wilson pleaded.

And IFA leader, John Dillon was cheered to the rafters when he told the meeting how they used to deal with birds of prey hovering over his mother's chickens in the farmyard at home when he was young.

"When this fellow appeared in the sky, the first thing we got was the gun to sort him out."

The Dúchas officials were horrified.

Mr Dillon was at his fiery best, and has banned Dúchas from the lands of West Limerick, North Cork and North Kerry until the farmers get justice and fair play. The hen harrier may yet be a party to the partnership talks, but as someone remarked at the meeting, the cost of the Government's jet fleet will be peanuts compared to the cost of keeping him in the air.
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/hen-harrier-was-shot-by-rifle-27369584.html
    Remember this from 2003. At a IFA meeting they were discussing designations of land for Hen Harrier. Shortly after the meeting a Hen Harrier was shot and sent to Kerryman Newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

It's quite possible and indeed more than likely that the perpetrator of this criminality is a member of a local gun club. I know that in some quarters the NPWS view is that by keeping the gun clubs and the NARGC informed and onside in the protection and preservation of threatened wildlife, the risk to species such as the Hen Harrier or the White Tailed Eagle or other birds of prey is somewhat reduced. Problem is that there are renegades in some clubs who have scant regard for any protective wildlife legislation and see birds of prey as a target for elimination. While the perpetrator of this mindlessness may have acted alone, there are likely to be others in the know, it being a small rural community. Given the widespread publicity regarding the illegality of killing raptors etc, ignorance of the law is no excuse. It's incumbent on gun clubs and the NARGC to again speak out with force and condemnation and identify those in their midst who would perpetrate such acts - in small rural communities, the "trigger happy" lads are usually well known. The NPWS and the Gardai face an uphill struggle in catching the shooter(s) unless local community support is forthcoming. Otherwise, perhaps it's time to revisit the gun licensing laws and impose more punitive measures on errant licence holders and those clubs who would remain silent about renegades in their midst.

Advertisement