Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening viewing - concerns for my house

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mrmitty wrote: »
    I understand now why we are known around the world as "dirty Irish".

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

are we?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- there is already an on-thread warning about continuing that discussion- if you insist on ignoring the warning- with regret, you will receive an infraction. Your choice......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

If you ask people to take off their shoes because the floor is too precious and lovely to survive any serious contact with heeled shoes, then you might as well save yourself the time and advertise the place as needing new flooring. If I walked into a house whose seller had installed floors that required everyone to go barefoot all the time, I'd be knocking thousands off any planned bid - it's a huge inconvenience to deal with floors that are that unsuitable for purpose. If there's a serious prospect of you holding onto the house, then tell people to remove their shoes - but if you really want to sell, you may have to accept that the floor's going to get marked.

Incidentally, if you were trying to make the house attractive to buyers, why on earth did you install a hugely expensive and incredibly fragile floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Guys- there is already an on-thread warning about continuing that discussion- if you insist on ignoring the warning- with regret, you will receive an infraction. Your choice......

didn't see the warning

soz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

OK, forget about removing shoes etc. Have you a house for sale? How much are you looking for it?
    Its pretty obvious at this stage that there isn't any house for sale and probably never was .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Perfectly normal to be asked to take your shoes off at a viewing. While people are asking about the price seems a bit silly there is a point. The standard of your house and the area do determine if it is acceptable to your target market. Generally it will be seen as snobby by some and others will see it as fair enough.

You just have determine who you are trying to sell to. I would know myself for my own house and I suspect you would know yourself. Without getting into a debate on-line about what is acceptable or what is working, middle or upper class just gauge how you feel.

On the note of flooring, I went to a school in a building 100 odd years old. The flooring was real solid hard wood flooring and as good as the day it was laid. Except there was one class room that had a marks all over it and a part in the hall between that room and the teachers' room. The teacher always wore heels and basically in the year she had destroyed the floor that stood fine for 100 years. I am not talking stilettos. I heard her complaining to the principle about wanting a different class because her one was on a corner so extra cold. He said there was no way considering the damage she had caused and how he had repeatedly asked her to not wear heels as a favour because he wanted to keep the floor in good nick considering it was such impressive work. She started going on about being sexist and this rather old brother was trying to placate her, that is when I made my presence known.

Advertisement