Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stomach tubing a calf

Options
  • 26-01-2015 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

can you stomach tube a calf a number of times or should it be restricted. Calf with a scour and it is handier to stomach tube

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Tomjim wrote: »
    can you stomach tube a calf a number of times or should it be restricted. Calf with a scour and it is handier to stomach tube

Yeah, I've done it several times. But I'd be cognisant of the fact that every time you do it you risk causing irritation.
    So lube her up, proceed gently, and do it as few times as ya can get away with I'd be thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I have the rigid tube type with the plastic bottle. Every time I use it, I use very fine emery paper to smoothen out the rough bits where the calf bites it with his teeth. I use lube on it aswell.
    Better to tube a calf than let him die of dehydration.
    Last year I tubed the same suckler calf with crypo scour, twice a day for about 10 days. I had to put him in the de-horning crate though to keep him from bucking about. He made a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Sami23

I have a 10 week old calf very sick from scour and wont suck the cow.
    Just wondering is he too old to stomach tube her or what is the oldest you can stomach tube calves.?
    Scour has now cleared up but she has no appetite to suck cow or a bottle so I've been syringing electrolytes and milk into her up to now.
    Or has anyone any ideas to get her going again - she gets up every now and then but is wobbly on her feet when she does.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Get some natural yoghurt into her. Use a dosing syringe.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Get some natural yoghurt into her. Use a dosing syringe.

1 tub of it or more ?
    She's a week like this now. She's been at the vets and in injections too so I'm not holding out much hope tbh but will try anything I can

• Advertisement

The natural yoghurt will help the stomach to start working again. I would give 200ml morning and evening.

whelan2 wrote: »
    The natural yoghurt will help the stomach to start working again. I would give 200ml morning and evening.

Thanks for that.
    Don't suppose you know if she can be stomach tubed at that age

Yes she could . Just watch she doesn't chew the tube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Electrolytes too.
    Morning and evening.

Electrolytes 20 minutes before the feed, the natural youghert can be incorporated into milk and fed together.

_Brian wrote: »
    Electrolytes too.
    Morning and evening.

Electrolytes 20 minutes before the feed, the natural youghert can be incorporated into milk and fed together.

Yes shes's getting electrolytes for the last week twice a day. Varying between effadral and a pink powder from XL vets. Would a litre twice daily be enough ?
    Also getting Ketovit daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Isn't there something about not stomach tubing milk to older calves?
    Doesn't the tube end go into a different stomach than where the milk would go, from natural drinking.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Sami23 wrote: »
    Yes shes's getting electrolytes for the last week twice a day. Varying between effadral and a pink powder from XL vets. Would a litre twice daily be enough ?

Could the calf have crypto scour?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

We would try for 2L twice daily
    Find that effadryl great stuff.

Isn't there something about not stomach tubing milk to older calves?
    Doesn't the tube end go into a different stomach than where the milk would go, from natural drinking.

Yes that's exactly why I was asking as thought I heard something about a second stomach before.
    Would you suggest I continue feeding with a syringe/dosing gun ?

Yes that's exactly why I was asking as thought I heard something about a second stomach before.
    Would you suggest I continue feeding with a syringe/dosing gun ?

I would have thought it ok at 10 weeks but am really interested to see other opinions on that.

Could the calf have crypto scour?

Vet sent a dung sample away Monday but no results yet but said it's a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Did the vet put the calf on a drip?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Did the vet put the calf on a drip?

No he was going to but gave her electrolytes and some other stuff incl. bread soda through the stomach tube instead but advised against giving her milk through the stomach tube so I was saying that to others and they had never heard you couldn't stomach tube an older calf so that's why I was looking for peoples experiences and opinions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Should have given a drip imo. Agree above with the effydral. 3 times a day. Try a feed morning and evening then as well. Dung sample should help. Do you think the calf got enough biestings first day?

Here ya go;

The problem with tube feeding milk to older calves is that a lot of it will go into the rumen, which isn’t fully developed yet, instead of passing into the abomasum for proper digestion to occur.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/livestock-feed-nutrition/guide-to-feeding-newborn-calves-colostrum

• Advertisement

I think.at this stage it's not going to do too much harm. Eggs are also good for giving energy

A 10 week old calf is going to need a serious amount of fluid. It's not just the normal fluid it would drink, but also you have to replace lost fluids from the scour.

I would try and get the calf to drink from a bottle teat first. If it won't drink, then tube away. I normally add about 4 desert spoons of the natural yogurt to the attached home made electrolyte.

With your older calf, I'd give 3 litres 3 times a day. What do others think?

A 10 week old calf is going to need a serious amount of fluid. It's not just the normal fluid it would drink, but also you have to replace lost fluids from the scour.

I would try and get the calf to drink from a bottle teat first. If it won't drink, then tube away. I normally add about 4 desert spoons of the natural yogurt to the attached home made electrolyte.

With your older calf, I'd give 3 litres 3 times a day. What do others think?

We keep any feed separate and after electrolytes. The body will better utilise the feed when the benifet of the electrolytes has been absorbed which takes about 20minutes. The increased fluid also lifts BP from dehydration making the calf feel better and more likely to actually want the feed.

This may seem an odd notion but with a calf that is “a bit sick” we use the home made electrolytes, if a calf is very bad we always use the commercial formulations.

Makes sense. Remember though, this is a suckler calf, so unless they milk the cow, where will they get milk to give it.

Makes sense. Remember though, this is a suckler calf, so unless they milk the cow, where will they get milk to give it.

Calf is a week not sucking so something must be happening with the cow, either milking or another calf sucking.

Bag of milk replacer would be cheap if it saves the calf.

Calf is a week not sucking so something must be happening with the cow, either milking or another calf sucking.

Bag of milk replacer would be cheap if it saves the calf.

Yes I milked the cow a couple of times but she not too fond of that approach so have been getting some milk from a local dairy farmer last few days.

Bit concerned of cow going dry now also :(

Yes I milked the cow a couple of times but she not too fond of that approach so have been getting some milk from a local dairy farmer last few days.

Bit concerned of cow going dry now also :(

Handy to get the milk.
    If the cow is feeding well and not being sucked or milked I’d be worried about mastitis more than her going dry.

Definitely increase the electrolytes the calf is getting. It’s a pain but I would have done night time electrolytes when it’s needed. Dehydration will kill a calf, but it also makes them lethargic and destroys their appetite. Within reason there’s no over doing it as same as ourselves excess will just pass through.

Did you dose for Coccidiosis?

Handy to get the milk.
    If the cow is feeding well and not being sucked or milked I’d be worried about mastitis more than her going dry.

Definitely increase the electrolytes the calf is getting. It’s a pain but I would have done night time electrolytes when it’s needed. Dehydration will kill a calf, but it also makes them lethargic and destroys their appetite. Within reason there’s no over doing it as same as ourselves excess will just pass through.

I'm finding when I'm dosing him the electrolytes there's only so much he will take / swallow before it just runs out of his mouth

• Advertisement

Did you dose for Coccidiosis?

Tbh the vet gave her a good few injections so not exactly sure what they all were.

I hadn't dosed myself

Advertisement