Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Uses for used fat/grease

• 25-01-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Just wanted to start a bit of a brainstorming session regarding food fat.

Iv had a George Foreman food grill for for a few years now but recently Iv started taking notice about the amount of fat that can be drained from the likes of sausages and burgers. I said to myself that there must be a ton of uses for the stuff. So I started collecting it. Iv got the equivalent of 500ml over the past 2 months.

But Im not sure what to do with it. Any neat ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Third3ye wrote: »
    Just wanted to start a bit of a brainstorming session regarding food fat.

Iv had a George Foreman food grill for for a few years now but recently Iv started taking notice about the amount of fat that can be drained from the likes of sausages and burgers. I said to myself that there must be a ton of uses for the stuff. So I started collecting it. Iv got the equivalent of 500ml over the past 2 months.

But Im not sure what to do with it. Any neat ideas?

Roast your spuds in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

First things that spring to mind
    Fuel for fire
    Bait for animal traps
    Google providing anything??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

In our house it goes on the dogs food.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Great for lighting reluctant fires...

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

Fat lamps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

use it to power a back to the future style time machine.....

on a serious note... can be used as a cheap lubricant for shears/old door hinges etc

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I use it to make fat balls/cake for the birds for the winter, its good to help the birds who keep the pests down throughout the year, good karma!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

It's a small amount, but if you're considering reclaimed fat, biodiesel is worth looking at. Fat from meat wouldn't be any use unfortunately, but it's just worth bearing in mind.

To answer your question: Soak some cardboard in that stuff and just watch how long it burns either in your fire or you could make a type of candle out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Melt the fat and pour it into a tray of peanuts etc..it makes excellent winter bird food.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Third3ye

Some real good ideas here. I fancy the peanut idea for the birds. God knows I go through enough birdseed every week.

Also soaking in cardboard sounds good. I wonder if i put said soaked cardboard in an old Dax wax can would it make a handy little stove for boiling coffee when im out and about? I know its a petty little subject but I hate having to waste anything.

• Advertisement

Third3ye wrote: »
    I wonder if i put said soaked cardboard in an old Dax wax can would it make a handy little stove for boiling coffee when im out and about? I know its a petty little subject but I hate having to waste anything.

You *could* use it but burning grease gives off a horrible stench that catches in the lungs as well as the clothes...its also messy to transport,especially if your container leaks or bursts.

You'd be better off using meths or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

In the spirit of survivalism and self sufficiency I think it's important to avoid waste, in all its forms, but only when it gives a real benefit.

That includes skipping doing random things that waste your time and give no gain or pleasure. Decanting used animal fat and grease left over from cooking into a bottle and trying to think of a use is wasteful in my opinion.

There has to be something you can do instead to yield a better return for your efforts and time.

Top marks for giving it consideration but maybe look at something else instead. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

you could make soap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

This is for the birds

Mech1 wrote: »
    This is for the birds

Soap?

Birds?

Bird-washing?

Do you have a lissssp?

sheesh wrote: »
    you could make soap

Not out of used grease you couldnt.

chopper6 wrote: »
    Not out of used grease you couldnt.

no? oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Add it to some shredded newspaper when making compressed logs?

mawk wrote: »
    Add it to some shredded newspaper when making compressed logs?

Jesus..just dont..it 'll be a disgusting mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Jesus..just dont..it 'll be a disgusting mess

Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way :D

I can imagine our dogs fighting over a smoldering compressed log because it was stinky with a rancid fat smell.

Or rats sneaking in to have a feast in the log basket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

I use it to make fat balls/cake for the birds for the winter, its good to help the birds who keep the pests down throughout the year, good karma!

Ya and watch the birds suffer with angina :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

You COULD try making your own line of make up?that's where most take away fats are sold isn't it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

I have used animal fat to make soap before but it's not very good quality ... might be a good alternative to washing up liquid for your pots and pans if push comes to shove.

I have used animal fat to make soap before but it's not very good quality ... might be a good alternative to washing up liquid for your pots and pans if push comes to shove.

You cannot make soap from the grease from a george foreman grill...and you absolutely cannot use it to wash pots and pans.

You cannot make soap from the grease from a george foreman grill...and you absolutely cannot use it to wash pots and pans.

can you tell us why?

I'm just interested as we nade soap from vegetable fat in school and it was fairly straightforward just add a base and some water I'm not talking about something that you could use on you skinn but as a crude cleaning agent.

On the contrary, this is actually a survival staple, I just wouldn't want to wash in it. It's crude but it's soap all the same.

Update : Have found a lovely page on this on Earth 911 too:

http://www.earth911.com/home-garden/animal-fat-soap/2/

On the contrary, this is actually a survival staple, I just wouldn't want to wash in it. It's crude but it's soap all the same.

Thats raw animal fat..it is not the grease drained off from a george forman as the OP is asking.

I challange anybody to make usable soap from leftover grease.

sheesh wrote: »
    can you tell us why?

Why you cant make soap out of used grease?

Try it!

Thats raw animal fat..it is not the grease drained off from a george forman as the OP is asking.

I challange anybody to make usable soap from leftover grease.

Erm.. I've already shown you links to people who have done it chopper... :-D

• Advertisement

Erm.. I've already shown you links to people who have done it chopper... :-D

I could show you links to guys varnishing dog turds and calling it art.

Doesn't mean that it's a good use of time and energy.

Advertisement