Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy in the commuter belt? [Split from Central Bank Thread]

Options
  • 24-01-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

I work in Dublin,live near Naas,takes me 50 minutes to get to work, 4 bed detached house beside schools sports community hall pitch n Pitt etc, €210k mortgage now that's just affordable, why do people obsess with living in Dublin and paying silly prices, I hate my mortgage at that level with two earners, never mind spending 400k upwards

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

I work in Dublin,live near Naas,takes me 50 minutes to get to work, 4 bed detached house beside schools sports community hall pitch n Pitt etc, €210k mortgage now that's just affordable, why do people obsess with living in Dublin and paying silly prices, I hate my mortgage at that level with two earners, never mind spending 400k upwards

Not every house outside Dublin is beside a school. My mother works in a school where a lot of parents with long commutes drop their kids off at about 7 every morning so the parents have time to get to work. Not very nice on the kids IMO.

Anyway 400k will get you a house in Templeogue. Templeogue is middle of the road in terms of Dublin. So if you go for slightly below average (still very nice) you'll pay less than 400k.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

50 Mins to where in Dublin ? And at what time ? Its all relative. Personally i'd rather pay more and have less travel.

Personally- I'd take lower pay- and a lower priced house- so I didn't spend north of 2 hours a day commuting......... My time is worth far more than the monetary compensation for working in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Not disagreeing with anyone folks but 50 mins Kildare to Dublin is not bad....how long on the bus from town to Templeogue (as it's mentioned above)? Or even to cycle from town to there?

Trains from Kildare to Heuston are regular and short travel times.

Just sayin is all...I wouldn't knock it. Only issue is the Mrs who wont budget from Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

50 Mins to where in Dublin ? And at what time ? Its all relative. Personally i'd rather pay more and have less travel.

Naas is 40 mins to certain areas, the Newlands cross job helped, just saying it can take time to move around Dublin in the traffic never mind coming up from Kildare, or other good commuter towns, navan, Drogheda, etc, all great value and have a lot to offer, I love Dublin....but only certain bits, and they are all crazy money, Dalkley, Sandymount, etc etc, why live in a middle of the road part of Dublin for 400k plus, when you can go one hour out for 2-300k, nicer community etc.

Leinsterdude! Do you mind? Some of us are still trying to buy in Kildare and don't need you encouraging Dublin house-hunters into the morket :D

I work from home most of the time so can't really comment on the commute. Family are in Dublin but parts of Kildare/Meath are reasonably close to most of Dublin if you're driving off peak to visit the folks.

Generally better value than Dublin, despite last year's price rises. Renting in North Kildare at present. Can be very quiet during the day when everyone heads for the train/motorway but similar story in suburban Dublin, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I always notice when people tell ya 'its only x minutes' from Dublin they always give the best possible scenario! No taking into account bad weather, traffic, trains not runnin etc. Never mind the expense! I don't need a car in Dublin, cycle everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Buy house just outside Dublin, with the saved money buy a taxi plate, use bus lanes on commute each mornin - jobs a guddun

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ElizKenny

Its all relative.
    It took me 1.5 hours to get from Templeogue to college green using the bus all last week.

It takes me 25 mins to drive from Malahide to the city center.

If you work on the outskirts of Dublin you are far better off with a car and buying further out.
    If you live in the city center then hope you dont end up getting a job outside the county for example.

The only sure way for travel time not to matter is to rent. Then when work moves you just move where you live too.

jay0109 wrote: »
    Not disagreeing with anyone folks but 50 mins Kildare to Dublin is not bad....

Depends on exactly where you are coming from and going to- however- you can't go from Kildare town to O'Connell Street in Dublin (a nice central point) in under an hour- if you observe the speed limit. It was exactly 55km when I clocked it (I had an offer on a house up Railway road, that I'm thrilled I got outbid on- and I didn't believe the 45 minute journey time the estate agent was trying to sell me. Depending on the exact route you take- even the N81 via Blessington can be faster some mornings (though thankfully Newlands Cross is no longer an issue).

A more realistic time- to allow for encountering a little traffic- and the revised speed limits in Dublin- is probably up around 1 hour 20-30 mins (in morning or evening traffic).

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ElizKenny

Depends on exactly where you are coming from and going to- however- you can't go from Kildare town to O'Connell Street in Dublin (a nice central point) in under an hour- if you observe the speed limit. It was exactly 55km when I clocked it (I had an offer on a house up Railway road, that I'm thrilled I got outbid on- and I didn't believe the 45 minute journey time the estate agent was trying to sell me. Depending on the exact route you take- even the N81 via Blessington can be faster some mornings (though thankfully Newlands Cross is no longer an issue).

A more realistic time- to allow for encountering a little traffic- and the revised speed limits in Dublin- is probably up around 1 hour 20-30 mins (in morning or evening traffic).

My parents live in very near the Convent in Kildare town.
    While we were between houses i was staying with them.
    A lot of that time i was working based in Rathmines.
    It used to take me anything between 45 mins and an hour. Never more than an hour. That was leaving the house at 7:45. And before Newlands cross works.
    Dont know what it would be now though.

I probably would have got the train only its a long trip from the station to Rathmines to add on to the train time. If I was based in the City center the train would work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I've split these posts from the Central Bank to limit amount banks lend for home purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

ElizKenny wrote: »
    My parents live in very near the Convent in Kildare town.
    While we were between houses i was staying with them.
    A lot of that time i was working based in Rathmines.
    It used to take me anything between 45 mins and an hour. Never more than an hour. That was leaving the house at 7:45. And before Newlands cross works.
    Dont know what it would be now though.

I probably would have got the train only its a long trip from the station to Rathmines to add on to the train time. If I was based in the City center the train would work.

All very doable, I think some people around here want their jobs next to their houses, and flatly deny that it's possible to actually make it into your job in Dublin from an outside county in the same time it takes to cross the city!

The Spider wrote: »
    All very doable, I think some people around here want their jobs next to their houses, and flatly deny that it's possible to actually make it into your job in Dublin from an outside county in the same time it takes to cross the city!

I went the opposite direction.
    I forewent a promotion, in exchange for the opportunity to work 10 minutes away from home- and don't regret it for a minute. I have young children- and because I now work in such close proximity to home- I get to spend hours extra with them each day- rather than stuck in a carpark on the Quays in Dublin or elsewhere. It was taking in well over an hour most mornings to get to work and over an hour and a half or even longer, on bad mornings- for a journey scarcely over 13 miles. In bad weather- this could increase by a multiple.

It depends on what people value, time, money, ease of transport, working in a particular location, the ability to commit blocks of time to other tasks etc etc etc. Usually something has to give- where the 'give' is purely financial- but bearable- for some people it makes sense.

If you accept you are not going to earn the same as someone in central Dublin doing the same job- and are willing to ascribe a level of satisfaction to having more time- greater than the level of satisfaction gained from having a few extra shekels, then there's your answer.

It depends on the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I went the opposite direction.
    I forewent a promotion, in exchange for the opportunity to work 10 minutes away from home- and don't regret it for a minute. I have young children- and because I now work in such close proximity to home- I get to spend hours extra with them each day- rather than stuck in a carpark on the Quays in Dublin or elsewhere. It was taking in well over an hour most mornings to get to work and over an hour and a half or even longer, on bad mornings- for a journey scarcely over 13 miles. In bad weather- this could increase by a multiple.

It depends on what people value, time, money, ease of transport, working in a particular location, the ability to commit blocks of time to other tasks etc etc etc. Usually something has to give- where the 'give' is purely financial- but bearable- for some people it makes sense.

If you accept you are not going to earn the same as someone in central Dublin doing the same job- and are willing to ascribe a level of satisfaction to having more time- greater than the level of satisfaction gained from having a few extra shekels, then there's your answer.

It depends on the person.

I work in south county dublin and rent 10 kms away in south city dublin. If I leave at 7.30am I will make it in 55 mins if I leave later God only knows how long it could take me. We are sale agreed on a house right beside my work (walking distance). If I stayed where I am I feel I would have to look at job sharing as We have a small baby, I sick of traffic and pulling the baby out of bed at an ungodly hour.
    When the baby is older I can drop him to primary school etc

walshyn93 wrote: »
    Not every house outside Dublin is beside a school. My mother works in a school where a lot of parents with long commutes drop their kids off at about 7 every morning so the parents have time to get to work. Not very nice on the kids IMO.

Anyway 400k will get you a house in Templeogue. Templeogue is middle of the road in terms of Dublin. So if you go for slightly below average (still very nice) you'll pay less than 400k.

€400k will get you a house in certain parts of templeogue like Orwell

Millem wrote: »
    I work in south county dublin and rent 10 kms away in south city dublin. If I leave at 7.30am I will make it in 55 mins if I leave later God only knows how long it could take me. We are sale agreed on a house right beside my work (walking distance). If I stayed where I am I feel I would have to look at job sharing as We have a small baby, I sick of traffic and pulling the baby out of bed at an ungodly hour.
    When the baby is older I can drop him to primary school etc

What if you change jobs? As for myself I always found that I'd rather have a decent distance between me and my place of work, I've has a few jobs over the years, some were great some not so great.

I always found it was better to be far enough away from work as it helped me to keep work and personal life seperate. Once I lived less than z give minute walk from work and found it awful, even on A Saturday or Sunday it felt like work was invading my space as I walked the same direction towards the office every day, granted I hated the job I had at the time.

What if you change jobs? As for myself I always found that I'd rather have a decent distance between me and my place of work, I've has a few jobs over the years, some were great some not so great.

I always found it was better to be far enough away from work as it helped me to keep work and personal life seperate. Once I lived less than z give minute walk from work and found it awful, even on A Saturday or Sunday it felt like work was invading my space as I walked the same direction towards the office every day, granted I hated the job I had at the time.

I am a permanent secondary school teacher. There is no way I would get a permanent job elsewhere.
    I work in a very nice area of dublin and would have no complaints living there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I live in Dublin 10 and work in Dublin 1. My commute takes 40mins (at 7.10am/4.30pm) to 1hr at peak times with public transport. I'd consider a commute of up to an hour fairly standard and it's what I've had in most jobs regardless of where I've been living and working in Dublin over the past 20 years.

I live in Dublin 10 and work in Dublin 1. My commute takes 40mins (at 7.10am/4.30pm) to 1hr at peak times with public transport. I'd consider a commute of up to an hour fairly standard and it's what I've had in most jobs regardless of where I've been living and working in Dublin over the past 20 years.

If you were given the opportunity of a 5-10 minute commute, with no traffic, and lots of non-monetary compensatory factors- in lieu of a small salary cut (possibly less than the cost of our petrol/diesel that you'd have used anyway)- would you take it?

Different people- at different stages in their lives, value different things differently- that is really the point I was making........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If you were given the opportunity of a 5-10 minute commute, with no traffic, and lots of non-monetary compensatory factors- in lieu of a small salary cut (possibly less than the cost of our petrol/diesel that you'd have used anyway)- would you take it?

Different people- at different stages in their lives, value different things differently- that is really the point I was making........
    Of course! Who wouldn't! Especially when you have a family.

• Advertisement

The problem with this is, it sounds like there may be limited ability to get raises etc in the future. It would want to be something I loved doing for that.

That being said money isn't everything, but if I was in a job that wasn't exactly my dream job then I'd want to be in the highest paying one that I could find.

Allows me to save, put money away for the kids going to college, invest in other assets if it pays enough my wife doesn't have to work, and gives the kids a better lifestyle outside of Dublin.

Now if the sacrifice to achieve all that, is an extra hour a day for me, well that's a sacrifice I''m willing to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

It's been said before but it really does depend on your priorities.
    We bought a lovely house in D12 in 2013 - it's perfect for our needs and our way of life.

When we were looking there were some wonderful houses out down the Naas road that we looked at, but being close to family was a very big priority for us and family lived in D12.

Dortilolma wrote: »
    It's been said before but it really does depend on your priorities.
    We bought a lovely house in D12 in 2013 - it's perfect for our needs and our way of life.

When we were looking there were some wonderful houses out down the Naas road that we looked at, but being close to family was a very big priority for us and family lived in D12.

For me too, and I'm not from Dublin so getting as close as possible to our family means a commute for me at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Buy house just outside Dublin, with the saved money buy a taxi plate, use bus lanes on commute each mornin - jobs a guddun

It's actually not legal for taxis to use bus lanes unless they have a fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

ElizKenny wrote: »
    Its all relative.
    It took me 1.5 hours to get from Templeogue to college green using the bus all last week.

It takes me 25 mins to drive from Malahide to the city center.

If you work on the outskirts of Dublin you are far better off with a car and buying further out.
    If you live in the city center then hope you dont end up getting a job outside the county for example.

The only sure way for travel time not to matter is to rent. Then when work moves you just move where you live too.

Can I ask what time of day that is, and how much difference would a rush hour departure from home make?

I am (still) looking at moving over from England once I have a job sorted. I have been looking at areas along the coast between Skerries (or maybe even Balbriggan) in the North to Greystones in the South. The DART and commuter line is an obvious attraction, but if I end up working out near St. James' hospital, the commute starts to be a bit of a pain. I've commuted into London and Manchester long enough to know how journeys that look fine on paper turn out once you look at interchanges and a walk at either end.

I'd be interested in experience / views on commuting including car communting from the areas I mentioned. I need to weigh up the balance between house price and size of commute (so thanks Mod, for setting up new thread).

ezra_pound wrote: »
    It's actually not legal for taxis to use bus lanes unless they have a fare.

Michael O'Leary got caught out on this! I believe he had a date in Mullingar courthouse over this stunt.

Can I ask what time of day that is, and how much difference would a rush hour departure from home make?

I am (still) looking at moving over from England once I have a job sorted. I have been looking at areas along the coast between Skerries (or maybe even Balbriggan) in the North to Greystones in the South. The DART and commuter line is an obvious attraction, but if I end up working out near St. James' hospital, the commute starts to be a bit of a pain. I've commuted into London and Manchester long enough to know how journeys that look fine on paper turn out once you look at interchanges and a walk at either end.

I'd be interested in experience / views on commuting including car communting from the areas I mentioned. I need to weigh up the balance between house price and size of commute (so thanks Mod, for setting up new thread).

If you're looking at working by Jameses hospital, then you may be better off with Kildare/carlow the train will get you in from Carlow in an hour, personally I'd rather be close to the coast, but that's a personal view, plenty of people commute in from Kildare, I have a friend looking to buy there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Discussion of how long it takes to get a bus through Dublin city centre always seems to ignore the fact that there are faster ways of doing it. It might take 90 minutes to get a bus from Templeogue to College Green, but it takes well under half an hour even in heavy traffic for a reasonably fit adult on a light hybrid bike. For rush hour travel, distances up to about ten kilometers are done quickest on a bike, and the cost is near zero per day. I lived in Cabinteely and commuted to the IFSC for almost two years: it was 75 minutes on public transport and cost close to six euro a day, while my record on the road bike was 32 minutes. 90 minutes in a car versus 60 on the bus may not be a huge difference, but 90 in a car you're paying to run versus 30 on the bike is no contest.

Discussion of how long it takes to get a bus through Dublin city centre always seems to ignore the fact that there are faster ways of doing it. It might take 90 minutes to get a bus from Templeogue to College Green, but it takes well under half an hour even in heavy traffic for a reasonably fit adult on a light hybrid bike. For rush hour travel, distances up to about ten kilometers are done quickest on a bike, and the cost is near zero per day. I lived in Cabinteely and commuted to the IFSC for almost two years: it was 75 minutes on public transport and cost close to six euro a day, while my record on the road bike was 32 minutes. 90 minutes in a car versus 60 on the bus may not be a huge difference, but 90 in a car you're paying to run versus 30 on the bike is no contest.

Not viable for everyone though, and you'd have to be a pretty experienced cyclist to cope with that traffic in the mornings, and that's not to mention that cycling in Dublin is ridiculously dangerous.

It's probably ok for young fit people, and I know there's plenty of older fit people too, but more than likely they'll take the car or the bus.

Of course your job would have to have showers etc, if you were going to cycle into work everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

If you're looking at working by Jameses hospital, then you may be better off with Kildare/carlow the train will get you in from Carlow in an hour, personally I'd rather be close to the coast, but that's a personal view, plenty of people commute in from Kildare, I have a friend looking to buy there at the moment.

Thanks, Spider. I agree with what you say from a commuting perspective, but I want to live by the seaside!

Advertisement