Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Smoothies

Options
  • 23-01-2015 8:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22

Just wondering if putting spinach and kale in smoothies gives you as much nutritional value as eating it in whole form.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

You'd lose some of the fibre but generally greens are good to juice. Veg and smoothies are good, fruit smoothies lose a lot of nutrition in smoothies and usually contain a high amount of sugar because there is a good few portions of fruit in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 raspberrypie

Sorry OP, I don't know anything about nutrition but I have a question of my own.

We bought a powder mix from the States it has a bucket load of stuff in it which I'll outline below. My question is, all these ingredients seem good to us but then we know zero about nutrition, maybe someone who does know can answer. Thanks.

Ingredients:

Organic Alfalfa Grass
    Oat Fiber
    Wheat Grass
    Organic Barley Grass Juice
    Barley Grass
    Alfalfa Grass Juice
    Rice Bran Solubles
    Spirulina
    Chlorella
    Calcified Red Marine Algae
    Various Kelp Spices
    Calcium Ascorbate
    Vitamin A Acetate
    Strawberry
    Cranberry
    Blueberry
    Blackberry
    Bilberry
    Cherry
    Apricot
    Papaya
    Orange
    Grape
    Pineapple
    Grape Seed Extract
    Beet
    Parsley
    Kale
    Spinach
    Tomato
    Brussels Sprout
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Carrot
    Cabbage
    Celery Seed
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Amaranth
    Quinoa
    Millet
    Buckwheat
    Garbanzo
    Kidney Bean
    Lentil
    Adzuki Bean
    Flax
    Sunflower
    Pumpkin Seed
    Chia Seed
    Licorice Extract
    Organic Stevia
    10 different types of proiotics

Sorry the list is long but these are the ingredients. We add filtered water to one scoop of powder. It's green, as expected I guess. Smells slightly like licorice. Tastes sweet, that's probably the stevia. Wish it didn't taste so sweet and had a more natural taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Kale can be detrimental for some people if you eat a lot of it raw. Google kale, smoothies & oxalic acid.
    Much better absorbed lightly steamed and refrigerated/frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

rustyzip wrote: »
    Kale can be detrimental for some people if you eat a lot of it raw. Google kale, smoothies & oxalic acid.
    Much better absorbed lightly steamed and refrigerated/frozen.

Bollox.

Read this

http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/green-smoothies/why-green-smoothies-will-not-devastate-your-health/

Kale is awesome. Horse it into you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think it depends on the person as it says in your article. If you've ever had kidney stones I'd stay away from raw kale. If you don't know if you've any sensitivity I'd say start slowly enough with it until you see how you tolerate it.

I think I'm going to start steaming first and freezing anyway as I know someone who had a horrible brush with food poisoning that her and her dr felt came from a raw veg diet, most of which was smoothied. She ended up hospitalised and only fully saw the back of some serious effects of the bug after 4 months. It was really nasty. She was told never to eat totally raw stuff anymore without blanching at least and that've seen more cases of it as more people have been eating raw and that leaves are often the culprits as they always get an individual wash or peel. I've noticed a bit of dirt on kale & spinnach leaves in those tesco bags of it lately, it's making me squeamish now!

Does anyone steam/blanche spinnach or kale and freeze it? Do you have any tips ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

I think it depends on the person as it says in your article. If you've ever had kidney stones I'd stay away from raw kale. If you don't know if you've any sensitivity I'd say start slowly enough with it until you see how you tolerate it.

I think I'm going to start steaming first and freezing anyway as I know someone who had a horrible brush with food poisoning that her and her dr felt came from a raw veg diet, most of which was smoothied. She ended up hospitalised and only fully saw the back of some serious effects of the bug after 4 months. It was really nasty. She was told never to eat totally raw stuff anymore without blanching at least and that've seen more cases of it as more people have been eating raw and that leaves are often the culprits as they always get an individual wash or peel. I've noticed a bit of dirt on kale & spinnach leaves in those tesco bags of it lately, it's making me squeamish now!

Does anyone steam/blanche spinnach or kale and freeze it? Do you have any tips ?

I wash the kale, throw it in my blender (a blend tec so high speed) with a good splash of boiling water. Put it on high for a minute so it'cooks; sort of and then freeze it in large ice cubes or silicon molds.. so handy as takes up less space and is washed and will cool down the smoothie/juice i make in the future and make it a bit creamier as it's frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

I used to blanch the Kale when I started juicing it, but haven't done for the last few months. I like the taste of it, and have had no ill effects.
    I also use a few cubes of frozen spinach when it's out of season.
    I add them in the blender after juicing everything else.
    I don't think my juicer would thank me.

My usual morning juice (feeds 2+)

2 carrots
    2 sticks celery
    2 handfuls of fresh spinach
    Half a small head of Broccoli
    3-4 large leaves of fresh Kale (optionally blanched)
    One peeled lemon
    One inch of ginger
    One green apple

Optionally I add a spoon of spirulina and some matcha green tea powder.
    Part of every juicing recipe should be "then dismantle and wash your juicer immediately". It's easy when it's wet!

My current juicer is a Sage BJE410UK, and it's holding up well.
    My last one was similar, and bit the dust by me cracking the top dome dropping it. The blade had survived two years of daily juicing without any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Another one I'd add to the mix if I had some around in the morning is Bok Choy.
    It juices really well and has a significant amount of protein compared to many other veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone else have anymore nice green smoothie (not juices :) ) recipes? Or links? I'd like to increase my vegetable (and fibre) intake :)

Advertisement