Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut oil fad?

Options
  • 22-01-2015 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Its very high in saturated fat? How is there such an obsession with it lately??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Good fats.

Gains.

And so on, and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

allym wrote: »
    Good fats.

Gains.

And so on, and so forth.

Do you agree with me? I can't think of the actual percentage but I remember it being very high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Oh no not at all. It is high in fat, but it's good fats. It's also better for cooking than a lot of other oils, is great for hair and face masks, works well as a substitute for eggs in baking.

I end up using it in some shape or form daily. The fact that it's become so popular is only a good thing as it's more readily available, and cheaper.

Nothing but love for coconut oil here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

There is a big difference between Naturally saturated fats , and "saturated" fats which are artificially manipulated into a saturated state by hydrogenation (Trans fats).

There have been a few studies of Polynesian populations and other island communities that show the benefits of the use coconut oil and having very high naturally saturated fat diets. I'd like you to tell these people that what they've been doing is a fad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

allym wrote: »
    Oh no not at all. It is high in fat, but it's good fats. It's also better for cooking than a lot of other oils, is great for hair and face masks, works well as a substitute for eggs in baking.

I end up using it in some shape or form daily. The fact that it's become so popular is only a good thing as it's more readily available, and cheaper.

Nothing but love for coconut oil here.

This x1,000,000. It is amazing for cooking, baking, frying, spreading on toast, dry skin, parched hair... smells great, tastes great, and all healthy fats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Nice addition to coffee too - nice taste & more good fats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Coconut oil is awesome. very important ingredient in my protein treats

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Coconut oil is pretty awesome. It contains a high proportion of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) that are a special type of fat that convert into ketones to be used immediately in the body so you get a big energy boost from them. It's also anti bacterial and anti viral. Cool study recently on how it can fight gum disease by swishing it around in your mouth.

It might be a fad at the moment but it's also been consumed by healthy populations for eons with no observed ill-effect (the opposite in fact)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Its great for stirfrying because it will get to a high temperature without burning - that is what I use it for.

OP, I wouldn't worry about saturated fats - they have been shown to cause no harm and in fact are good for us.. the world is just a bit behind in catching up. http ://www .dietdoctor. com/ science

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Its not a fad...people have been using it for years. I never have ruined a pan since I started cooking with it.

People who use the 1cal sprays without question are the ones who worry me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

papu wrote: »
    There is a big difference between Naturally saturated fats , and "saturated" fats which are artificially manipulated into a saturated state by hydrogenation (Trans fats).

There have been a few studies of Polynesian populations and other island communities that show the benefits of the use coconut oil and having very high naturally saturated fat diets. I'd like you to tell these people that what they've been doing is a fad.

Can I ask how do you tell the difference between naturally saturated fats and saturated fats- like will it mention this on the labels nutritional information? I don't think I've ever seen a description of naturally saturated fats before, maybe I'm consuming the wrong stuff.

Oh and slightly OT but on the Polynesian thing why is it that so many of them seem overweight ? I might be wrong but I lived in Auckland for a bit and within an area full of Tongans and Fijians and many of them appeared overweight. It wasnt gender specific either.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can I ask how do you tell the difference between naturally saturated fats and saturated fats- like will it mention this on the labels nutritional information? I don't think I've ever seen a description of naturally saturated fats before, maybe I'm consuming the wrong stuff.

Oh and slightly OT but on the Polynesian thing why is it that so many of them seem overweight ? I might be wrong but I lived in Auckland for a bit and within an area full of Tongans and Fijians and many of them appeared overweight. It wasnt gender specific either.

Some saturated fats occur naturally , some are man made.These are the trans-fats, I'm pretty sure you need to put Trans fat on the label these days.

I'm pretty sure their natural diet has been ruined by the same processed crap we all get exposed to. However the original scientific studies still exist. I'd encourage you to look at these and not anecdotal evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

When the coconut oil fad dissipates I think I'll switch to ghee, red palm oil, lard and dripping. :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Muahahaha wrote: »

Polynesians still eating their traditional diet of coconut and unprocessed food are healthy and slim. Unfortunately they are particularly genetically susceptible to the ravaging effects of a processed diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Some saturated fats occur naturally , some are man made.These are the trans-fats, I'm pretty sure you need to put Trans fat on the label these days.

I'm pretty sure their natural diet has been ruined by the same processed crap we all get exposed to. However the original scientific studies still exist. I'd encourage you to look at these and not anecdotal evidence

We don't have any EU laws regarding transfat labeling, despite how unhealthy it is. A few countries, like Sweden and a few states in America have labeling guidelines but not here, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Trans fats are unsaturated fats.
    Trans- refers to the type of double bond, cis- being the other kind, (and the one found naturally). Saturated fats have no double bonds by definition.
    WhiteWalls wrote:
    Its very high in saturated fat? How is there such an obsession with it lately??
    It could equally be said that the demonizing of of saturated fat was a fad. One that people are starting to get away from. Including medical experts, finally, albeit slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alltacht

Agree with above poster how demonizing fats is more so the fad. You have more and more countries applying a 'healthy fats are super important' nutrition model, like Sweden I think. Coconut oil is pretty great all round! And butter.. love me some butter..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Palinpropism

There is no hard evidence for or against coconut oil being healthy or increasing cardiovascular risk. The healthy claims are mainly testimonials as all the above. The best advice you can rely on though is that if it accounts for too high a proportion of your calories its saturated fat content is likely to increase cardiovascular risk. Below this it may be beneficial. Id call it a fad...jury is out on it being a good or a bad one though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The best advice you can rely on though is that if it accounts for too high a proportion of your calories its saturated fat content is likely to increase cardiovascular risk.

Any hard evidence for that or just a hunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Palinpropism

ford2600 wrote: »
    Any hard evidence for that or just a hunch?

If you want to get into it...
    ajcn.nutrition.org/content/77/5/1146.full

Wont allow me to post full URL so just add the usual http://

• Advertisement

If you want to get into it...
    ajcn.nutrition.org/content/77/5/1146.full

Wont allow me to post full URL so just add the usual http://

Funny this news comes out today...
    Better late than ever..
    Advice to cut intake of fat and saturated fat ‘wrong’
    Dietary advice, given to millions of people between 1977 and 1983, lacked solid evidence
    In the current research, the data available at the time was reviewed and the results of six relevant trials re-examined. These showed cholesterol levels fell more in the group treated with dietary intervention but this did not seem to have any impact on the death rates from all causes or from coronary heart disease.

If you check Pubmed there are over 1300 Studies on coconut oil, There's plenty of evidence there, just people aren't looking at it / interpreting it properly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Yeah it's good fats. I can't seem to stomach the stuff though makes me feel unwell for some reason and I'm not a fan of the smell. Saying that I am crazy about rice and peas which is made with coconut milk and when it's in curries and things it's lovely and I certainly don't feel sick from it. Maybe coconut milk just agrees with me better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I've gone mad for the stuff! Have 2 jars on the go - one for beauty stuff and the other for cooking stuff - its just the cheap one from tesco though. Spotted the virgin coconut oil in dunnes today, is it more beneficial?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

gg2 wrote: »
    I've gone mad for the stuff! Have 2 jars on the go - one for beauty stuff and the other for cooking stuff - its just the cheap one from tesco though. Spotted the virgin coconut oil in dunnes today, is it more beneficial?
    It's probably purer, kinda like olive oil

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭KaaaaaaPOW

Stheno wrote: »
    It's probably purer, kinda like olive oil

supposedly Organic, non bleached, no GM and a host of other good to read stuff.

Price has been snaking quite abit lately, though similar ish product in holland and Barrett is 13euro more.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

KaaaaaaPOW wrote: »
    supposedly Organic, non bleached, no GM and a host of other good to read stuff.
    Don't think that's true tbh.

Virgin simply refers to oil extracted by pressing fresh coconut meat. In the coconuts were non-organic, then the pressed oil would still be virgin coconut oil.
    It would be unbleached though as virgin oil doesn’t need to be bleached.

The alternative is refined and bleached coconut oil. This is extracted from dried flesh and is slightly different. The refining removes the coconut taste..

Advertisement