Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Persons Political Party

Options
  • 21-01-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I'm a 21 year old student. The next general election will be the first time I will be able to vote for who is to represent me in Dáil Éireann. I've been thinking for a while who I would vote for, but party wise, I would not give my vote to any of them. I would also not give my vote to an independent candidate as I don't think it does your vote any justice, as they will never be in any real power to make a difference.

I'm not, by any stretch, a political expert, but I do follow irish politics closely and I am very interested in it. My problem with irish politics is that the parties seem the same to me. They will promise you the sun moon and stars until they get into power, but in the end they do what they want. There is also no political party representing me and people my age. There's no voice for students in Dáil Éireann. People between the ages of 18-30 don't really take part in politics and a lot don't even exercise their right to vote, which I believe is a very important duty as a citizen of this country.

Ireland has some of the best universities in the world, but the brains that these universities develop are being used by other nations around the world as the graduates that come from them are emigrating. Huge multi national companies seek Irish brains to further their businesses. Why can't these brains be used to better this country?

The point I'm trying to get at here is, I believe that if people between 18 and 30 had a real voice in Dáil eireann, they would involve themselves more in politics, and so, the running of this country.

But I don't think that the current parties have room for new fresh minds to challenge the older, 'set in their ways' hierarchy. I believe we need a new party.

My dream would be to establish such a party that could challenge elections over the next decade, both local and general, and maybe one day be able to fully utilise the full potential of this great country, and the young people with the brains to make it great. We're sick of listening to the same old heads. It's time we made a difference.

Please let me know what your thoughts on a new party are. I'd love to see if people think I'm mad, or if they actually think this could be possible, just like I do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Actually I know loads of people between 18-30 in student politics and in all of the political parties. I dont agree with you that young people dont get politically involved. USI just registered 20,000 new voters.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8 youngpolitico

I understand a lot of people are involved in political parties and that a lot of young people do vote, but do you not think that they are strong armed by the hierarchy in these parties and don't actually get their views and ideas across because they must follow the party line? I'm not arguing here I'm just looking for feedback. I think if their was a new, fresh party, it would be good for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

They will promise you the sun moon and stars until they get into power, but in the end they do what they want......and a lot don't even exercise their right to vote, which I believe is a very important duty as a citizen of this country.

You are contradicting yourself there.

Some young scut will promise the sun, moon and stars and do what he wants when he gets in. Age has nothing to do with it.

I don't see why its so important to vote for the oligarchy.

The whole political system is rigged to give you and everyone else as little say in running affairs as possible without social instability.

The "citizen" is reduced to a marginalised and alienated herd animal to be encouraged in and out of voting booths every 4-5 years to legitimate and justify the rigged mafia state.

So no, I think its a terrible idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The party system is too rigid, it would be better with more informal politics. We agree on the important issues just the established parties disagree profoundly on implementation. Some parties prefer the Seanad to have more powers while others still believe the constitution or by referendum is the best solution to dealing with the problems of the day. I rather the Dail being more independent minded and allowing more space for a variety of parties from across the political spectrum instead of just a handful of large parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Every once in a while a party will carry out a young up and coming star. Usually giving them a speaking slot at some AGM or other and they'll have a little bunch of school chums cheering them on and all the older crowd will roll their eyes being all cute and possibly remark about their student days in follow up speeches......
    Student politicians will happily seem to go their own way to get students on side, but will more than happily kiss the arse of party HQ if there's the chance of a career out of it. Also watch for those not party affiliated with an Auntie in Fianna Fail....

• Advertisement

You just have to look at the leadership of the student unions. Careerist carpet baggers.

So are we basically saying do nothing because there is no point?

I understand a lot of people are involved in political parties and that a lot of young people do vote, but do you not think that they are strong armed by the hierarchy in these parties and don't actually get their views and ideas across because they must follow the party line? I'm not arguing here I'm just looking for feedback. I think if their was a new, fresh party, it would be good for the country.

My experience of young people in parties is that they are definitely not "strong armed" by the parties.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

coolemon wrote: »
    You just have to look at the leadership of the student unions. Careerist carpet baggers.

From my own involvement in student politics I met some assholes and many many genuine hardworking SU people.

Terry Pratchet

Im just not sure if a party would work. If it is aimed solely at young people then what happens when the activists reach their thirties.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I think student politics is a lot different to national politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

Hi all,

Ireland has some of the best universities in the world

No, it does not. The Irish university system is fine but none of them are even close to being described as "the best universities in the world".

Im just not sure if a party would work. If it is aimed solely at young people then what happens when the activists reach their thirties.

I'm not saying it would have to be solely young people. More like a young party. Brand new, a new opinion on things. But yes I think people in their 20s in this country would be well capable of setting up such a party and making it work.

Robroy36 wrote: »
    No, it does not. The Irish university system is fine but none of them are even close to being described as "the best universities in the world".

Trinity is ranked 71st and UCD is ranked 139th. All of our universities are ranked in the top 650 globally and considering the small amount of universities we have and the size of our population I think that is pretty impressive to be honest. You might think differently.

There is more to politics and political change than running in elections. To make real qualitative change people need to start demanding radical alternatives.

We can start with demanding democracy rather than oligarchy. Demand number one.

A second republic. Number two. The ripping up of the existing constitution and its replacement with one fit for the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

From my own involvement in student politics I met some assholes and many many genuine hardworking SU people.

Which ones are still involved in politics post-university?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

coolemon wrote: »
    There is more to politics and political change than running in elections. To make real qualitative change people need to start demanding radical alternatives.

We can start with demanding democracy rather than oligarchy. Demand number one.

A second republic. Number two. The ripping up of the existing constitution and its replacement with one fit for the 21st century.

Vey good with the sound bites, since nobody is considering revolutionary endeavours it would seem counter productive to be advocating a second republic. No one is calling for Paris style student riots which ended that countries Republic. It might be catchy to go on about the lack of democracy and the oligarchy but in reality this country is pretty well governed on the whole. We don't even have a right wing party like other countries so the talk of revolution is a bit too dramatic.

In Spain or Greece the government is genuinely right wing and ideas of democracy are very notional. For example the Spanish governments proposal to ban demonstrations now compare that to Ireland in which not only are demonstrations allowable but we allow just about anyone organise a march against minor taxation increases. I don't see Garda beating the crap out of pedestrians or cyclists for breaking the many traffic violations thankfully.

Which ones are still involved in politics post-university?

Some of each.

Terry Pratchet

I came across Lucinda Creighton on Vincent Browne last night. She is starting a new party and I will be supporting it. Thanks for your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

No more parliamentary voting. Everyone should vote on every issue or bill via the internet.

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote: »
    No more parliamentary voting. Everyone should vote on every issue or bill via the internet.

No offence but that's just a bit silly.

No offence but that's just a bit silly.

Why? Why do we need representatives to vote for us when they so often vote against our interests and break their promises to the electorate? Politicians are only concerned with the own interests or the interests of corporations or lobby groups. As you say there is a lack of choice when you look at the political parties in most countries today, none of them are worth voting for as none of them represent your interests like they are supposed to.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Maybe we could have the votes live on television. With theme music and a celebrity MC.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Maybe we could have the votes live on television. With theme music and a celebrity MC.

Would be funny but I am making a serious point. Once we vote for a representative to make decisions on our behalf then we lose control. A Politician can promise us the earth and then renege on those promises and we have to wait for the next election to replace him/her with someone equally as bad. Are the vast majority of issues so complex that we cant decide for ourselves? Given the quality of politicians that this country has been producing for the last few decades then I would trust joe public far more in making a correct decision.

How many bills pass though parliament every year where all representatives vote? It seems like half the time the place is empty.

Are the vast majority of issues so complex that we cant decide for ourselves?

Frankly, yes. Do you think any bill raising taxes (other than those on "the rich") or cutting social welfare payments would have a hope in hell of passing?

And that's leaving aside the question of the integrity of the ballot.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Frankly, yes. Do you think any bill raising taxes (other than those on "the rich") or cutting social welfare payments would have a hope in hell of passing?

And that's leaving aside the question of the integrity of the ballot.

And why would that be a bad thing if that is what the majority want? The rich should be taxed far more and poor less so. It is exactly this kind of problem which demonstrates why voting ourselves would be a better solution. For too long countries have been slashing taxes for the rich at the expense of the lower and middle classes. This is the one of the main reasons why global inequality has grown so much in recent years.

Obviously the security of the system would be paramount but this is a hypothetical conversation which assumes we can find a solution to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

And why would that be a bad thing if that is what the majority want?

Because, absolute total populism will not deliver progress.

You can't run a state if only "someone else" contributes.

Because, absolute total populism will not deliver progress.

You can't run a state if only "someone else" contributes.

I think you underestimate the electorate here. People are smart enough to understand that there has to be a balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I think you underestimate the electorate here. People are smart enough to understand that there has to be a balance.

No.... I think I estimate them just right.

The individual is rational & smart, but people collectively are selfish & irrational.

Ireland isn't an especially high tax economy (36% of GDP approx).

Its hard to deny if each of us were allowed determine our tax contributions, the tax take would collapse..... Ditto for approving large expenditures.

It would catch up eventually.

• Advertisement

And why would that be a bad thing if that is what the majority want? The rich should be taxed far more and poor less so. It is exactly this kind of problem which demonstrates why voting ourselves would be a better solution. For too long countries have been slashing taxes for the rich at the expense of the lower and middle classes.
    I take it you're blissfully unaware of what percentages of total income taxes are paid by what bands of earners in this country. Don't worry, you're far from alone in not knowing that - and that's precisely why your idea would be a catastrophic failure.
    Obviously the security of the system would be paramount but this is a hypothetical conversation which assumes we can find a solution to that.
    Great. While we're at it, let's have a hypothetical conversation about why we should have a society that's predicated on free, unlimited energy, and just blithely assume that we can find a solution to the fact that such a thing doesn't exist.

If you're going to propose that the country should be run in a particular way, you don't get to hand-wave away the minor technical detail that it's impossible to do so.
    In the two and a half decades I've been voting, everything I've seen has indicated precisely the opposite.

Advertisement