Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a protein powder

Options
  • 21-01-2015 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

I am currently attending the gym 3/4 times per week and I want to start on a protein powder.
    I don't need to lose weight anymore in the gym my main aim is toning.
    I am female and I am 21 years old.
    I weigh around 8 stone 5 pounds.
    Any help with what protein powder to choose would be great.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You may not need to get a protein powder - it depends on what you eat but in terms of a good protein podwder to get, you should check out MyProtein, TheProteinWorks annd BulkPowders.

Normally, MyProtein would be cheaper but there are deals on all three of those at the minute that might level out any differences.

There are others but I've always had good quality stuff from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MeganOMahony

You may not need to get a protein powder - it depends on what you eat but in terms of a good protein podwder to get, you should check out MyProtein, TheProteinWorks annd BulkPowders.

Normally, MyProtein would be cheaper but there are deals on all three of those at the minute that might level out any differences.

There are others but I've always had good quality stuff from them.

Hiya yeah I'm aware there is many different brands, I'm more conscious on the type of protein I would need, like whey or soy or pea.. And because I am female I don't want one that bulks too much muscle, I just want one that will help with toning and muscle development and that is low in calories.

Hiya yeah I'm aware there is many different brands, I'm more conscious on the type of protein I would need, like whey or soy or pea.. And because I am female I don't want one that bulks too much muscle, I just want one that will help with toning and muscle development and that is low in calories.

Unless you have some sort of allergy, whey will do fine.

You won't get too bulky unless you eat a hell of a lot of food, some testosterone and train very, very hard.

A serving of most proteins would be in the range of 100-120 kcals. Make it with milk and you'll have to treble that.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭shannonman81

I went into Holland & Barrett and got Precision Engineered Protein... It was 55 euro for two tubs. 20 g of protein per shake and 103 calories.
    I have had gold standard before and it tasted great...this one tastes like muck, but that said I'm not drinking it for the taste I generally just neck it after a work out.

I went into Holland & Barrett and got Precision Engineered Protein... It was 55 euro for two tubs. 20 g of protein per shake and 103 calories.
    I have had gold standard before and it tasted great...this one tastes like muck, but that said I'm not drinking it for the taste I generally just neck it after a work out.

This sounds great and especially from a female point of view!! Thank you very much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Mike-Woodson-Coach-FacePalm.gif

Protein content and calorie content are standard.

But those tubs are 908g, so that's 1.8kg for €55.

2.5kg of Impact Whey Protein (flavoured) from MyProtein is €40, has 104 kcal per serving and doesn't taste like muck.

2.5kg is an extra 27 servings versus the 2 tubs from H&B. Depending on your intake but if it's one a day, that €40 will last you a month longer.

Nothing against H&B but they don't compete on price (and possibly not taste either)

#science

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

H&B Protein is the worst Cost/Serving you can get. It's twice as much as you would pay from Myprotein , and you've a much larger choice of flavours.

papu wrote: »
    H&B Protein is the worst Cost/Serving you can get. It's twice as much as you would pay from Myprotein , and you've a much larger choice of flavours.

Papu was even kind enough to put together a table looking at the relative values of some whey protein products

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭shannonman81

Good to know. I wont be going there again!

• Advertisement

Alf et al, while you're subbed to this thread you might help me :pac:

I tried to find something similar to kinetica recovery on myprotein for a better price but I'm not going to lie - I just get so confused. I always went for low carb protein and now I'm looking for something completely different so my brain hurts >.<

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know it's probably staring me straight in the face but I'm having a blonde day.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I tried to find something similar to kinetica recovery on myprotein for a better price but I'm not going to lie - I just get so confused. I always went for low carb protein and now I'm looking for something completely different so my brain hurts >.<

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know it's probably staring me straight in the face but I'm having a blonde day.

What is it for?

Carbs and whey or Hard gainer , or the hurricane one linked above look similar to that Kinetica one.

papu wrote: »
    What is it for?

Carbs and whey or Hard gainer , or the hurricane one linked above look similar to that Kinetica one.

Post run! (marathon training)

I'll have a look at those ones, thank you :)

Good to know. I wont be going there again!

I just rechecked all the prices on that spreadsheet , H&B upped the price from 27.49 to 54.99 , but then charge 1cent for a second.
    so... over buying 2 at the previous price you save a whole 2cent...
    MyProtein prices have also gone up.

Recovery XS.

It has a carb:protein ratio of roughly 2:1. Recovery XS is (per serving)49:27 and the Kinetica is 42:25.

The 1.8kg pack is 20 servings (90g) for €36 versus the Kinetica which is €43 for 13 servings (75g).

In terms of kcals, there's 348 in the Recovery XS versus 267 in the Kinetica. That's a difference of 81 kcals or one chocolate covered rice cake :)

In short, the Recovery XS is better value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

bulkpowders.ie have complete recovery as well - http://www.bulkpowders.ie/complete-recovery.html

bulkpowders.ie have complete recovery as well - http://www.bulkpowders.ie/complete-recovery.html

25 carbs: 15 protein

10 servings for 16.25.

162 kcals per serving.

€1.63 per serving compares well with the Recovery XS (€1.80 per serving) but there's less in a serving.

http://www.theproteinworks.com/recovery-protein-2320.html

€1.83 per serving (€23.67 for 1 kg / 13 servings)

That gets you:
    262 kcals
    40g carbs
    23g protein

I would still probably favour the MyProtein product because if you're training for a marathon, 80-90 kcals after a training session isn't going to be a big issue

Papu was even kind enough to put together ]a table looking at the relative values of some whey protein

Thanks for the information everyone! I purchased off my protein and got the impact whey protein!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Thanks for the information everyone! I purchased off my protein and got the impact whey protein!!

I was JUST about to tell you to get the Impact Whey one :)
    I have the chocolate one and I add sweetener to it too, it's yummers.
    Avoid the Diet version though, it has only 2/3 of the protein but 3 x as many carbs!!!

I used to use the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard brand but it was too hard to digest.

Thanks so much for that info, that's brilliant :)

Advertisement