Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When the "Sue Everyone" Culture Backfires

Options
  • 21-01-2015 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

I can't be the only one who takes a weird sense of satisfaction when these cases are thrown out:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-who-tripped-over-kerb-is-left-with-legal-bill-for-high-court-action-30924651.html

I'm not saying I'm glad she fell and was hurt etc, rather what irks me is when people who have been over exposed to the likes of Americanised legal systems believe they must be compensated to the tune of 10 years wages for something silly.

TL:DR: "I tripped on a Kerb! It's someones fault! Gimme all the monies!"

Edit: In before someone makes a bad pun about the word "Sue" being the same spelling as the name, there, I messed up your fun now pun-heads :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Well, I think her first mistake was representing herself.
    It is a pity that they didn't announce how much she was looking for but if she fell due to her own carelessness then she deserved nothing.
    If it was a wet floor with no wet floor warning sign then she would have a great case.
    EDIT: I just found a longer article on this from here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/woman-who-sued-blackrock-clinic-left-with-six-figure-bill-1.2072891

TL;DR - She parked her car in a space reserved for the staff. Forgot her phone and went back and got it. Whilst holding her phone and bag didn't see the kerb and fell.
    I'd be inclined to think she was texting and didn't see the kerb.
    6 figure bill though.... my God.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Representing herself in the high court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I'm kinda surprised that with a case as nutty as hers, she represented herself.

I can't believe there was a money-grabbing concientious member of the legal profession who would take it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am with you OP. The losing side are normally on the hook for costs too. But in some cases those costs are un retreivable as the person suing has no means.
    Remember the case of the woman whose child got her finger stuck in a sugar dispenser in Eddie Rockets.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/finger-case-is-compensation-culture-gone-mad-says-judge-29843585.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I am with you OP. The losing side are normally on the hook for costs too. But in some cases those costs are un retreivable as the person suing has no means.
    Remember the case of the woman whose child got her finger stuck in a sugar dispenser in Eddie Rockets.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/finger-case-is-compensation-culture-gone-mad-says-judge-29843585.html

Jaysis.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

If it was genuine clumsiness then I've no sympathy whatsoever for her.

Ireland 1 moron 0.
    I mean judging by the size of her Deirdre Barlow glasses she'd have seen the kerb!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

My favourite part of these Artilces is the unnecessary paragraph headings such as:
    BLOOD

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's because of idiots like her there are now stupid warnings on things that should be obvious to everyone

CautionHot.jpg

may-contain-nuts-460x3001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Glad to see there are some Judges in this country with a bit of common sense when it comes to compo claims.

Just because you've been hurt does not mean it's some-one else's fault or that you deserve compensation. Sometimes you're to blame yourself and sometimes it's no-ones fault at all.

What ever happened to personal responsibility?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

bear1 wrote: »
    Ireland 1 moron 0.
    !

Trust me, the current score is more like Ireland 1 Morons 1,000

It's nice to see this happen but, unfortunately, it is a rare victory for common sense and personal responsibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

A security guard working here told me that one of his jobs at the weekend is to stop certain people from getting in through the doors of whatever premises he happens to be working in. They're known to walk around and then slip on a wet floor or trip over some object. The same few are recognised around Cork city and the security guards ring each other if any of the accident-prone ladies are spotted.

They have no shame.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

There are some people who go around looking for holes in the ground to fall into so they can sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

6 figure bill though.... my God.
    High court would cost about €100,000 a day. Her solicitor would have told her that.

Plus solicitors pluck numbers out of thin air when it comes to billing. I'm sure they'd have no problem finding a number she would choke on floating around their office.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The Peanut wrote: »
    A security guard working here told me that one of his jobs at the weekend is to stop certain people from getting in through the doors of whatever premises he happens to be working in. They're known to walk around and then slip on a wet floor or trip over some object. The same few are recognised around Cork city and the security guards ring each other if any of the accident-prone ladies are spotted.

They have no shame.

Happens a lot

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/in-the-courts-this-week-26006938.html
    Ronan Quinlivan (23) is now facing a possible 200 hours community service. His action collapsed after security camera footage was produced in court showing him spraying water on a toilet floor in July 1997 and practising a fall. He was subsequently charged and is currently awaiting sentence.
    * Mother of six, Teresa Sweeney (37) claimed back and neck injuries after slipping in the ladies bathroom of a pub in Ballinrobe, Co Mayo.

But an independent witness, who was in a cubicle, said she heard two women enter the bathroom, followed by the sound of a glass breaking and a voice whispering "lie down and stay there".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm sure they'd have no problem finding a number she would choke on floating around their office.

:D:D:D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd say she snotted herself because she wasn't looking where she was going but because it happened to be in the blackrock clinic she suddenly saw Euro signs and decided to sue.

It's interesting (and crazy) that she represented herself at the high court. I wonder did she even bother to seek legal advice at all, or did she see a few solicitors who all told her she hadn't a hope of winning, but she decided to press on anyway?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Toots wrote: »
    I'd say she snotted herself because she wasn't looking where she was going but because it happened to be in the blackrock clinic she suddenly saw Euro signs and decided to sue.

It's interesting (and crazy) that she represented herself at the high court. I wonder did she even bother to seek legal advice at all, or did she see a few solicitors who all told her she hadn't a hope of winning, but she decided to press on anyway?

She probably had a barfly lawyer advising her.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

or did she see a few solicitors who all told her she hadn't a hope of winning, but she decided to press on anyway?
    That wouldn't surprise me at all, I've seen a solicitor simply explain a particular law to someone and that person took what the solicitor said as a personal insult, as if the solicitor was making it up on the spot just to cheat them in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Someone who represents themselves in court often end up making a fool of their client.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Neyite wrote: »
    She probably had a barfly lawyer advising her.

It was probably this guy http://omg.wthax.org/5AtkhJ.jpg

Speaking of 'repeat offenders, at my SIL's wedding there was a guest who sued the hotel because he claimed he tripped over a sausage that was on the dance floor (???) He had hospital reports and everything detailing the injuries he received in the fall.

What he didn't realise was that he was caught on CCTV falling at a taxi rank on the way home from the wedding, three sheets to the wind. Seemingly this guy tries to sue pretty much anyone and everyone, and has a lot of these 'accidents'. My SIL and her husband, and a few of their friends told the hotel that they'd give evidence in court that this guy has a history of this, and that none of them saw anything like that happen during the reception, but the case was thrown out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

ScumLord wrote: »
    High court would cost about €100,000 a day. Her solicitor would have told her that.

She represented herself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

They have no shame.

Used to be a fella in Waterford called "Compo Kelly". He made a full time living out of claims. We had a shop in town and my mum would run him from the place

Couple of stories:

Was doing a course a few years ago and one of the modules was on public liability. The lecturer (a solicitor) took a call from a client who'd fallen into an open hole on O'connell street in Dublin. "How much can I get" was more of his concern.

Was t boned by an esb truck coming home from work about 10 years ago. Few grand damage done to my car (which they sorted out). The general consensus in work was that i won the lottery for a claim - being a state agency and all that. I was thankfully uninjured but had no intention of faking an injury for a 'claim', work colleagues were disgusted.

Guy working with me dropped his son to Dublin airport one morning for a flight - while reversing his car to a space at departures, he tipped the car behind which was been driven by an off duty air stewardess. No damage done to either car and thought nothing if it, apologised to the girl. She milked the whole situation as he found out later when his insurance company contacted him - whip lash, months off work and stress Etc and cleared him out of €40k in a claim. He had no choice but to put it through his insurance - premiums were mental for years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

They have no shame.

I know, you'd think they'd leave them to slip in peace!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Ireland 1 moron 0.
    I mean judging by the size of her Deirdre Barlow glasses she'd have seen the kerb!

Too soon!!!

:p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Neyite wrote: »
    There are some people who go around looking for holes in the ground to fall into so they can sue.

Leave Uncle Albert out of this.

Too soon!!!

:p

Not for me :D

I know a compo family, dad living off the proceeds of a big claim from the early nineties, and a few small ones as well as social welfare. Some time ago a colleague of his son fell into a manhole outside the office, luckily the manager was just coming outside as it happened, organised medical attention, notified the building management and moved the manhole back into place with help.

All that organised, Manager decides to have a fag, and to his amusement saw compo son tearing out of the office to where the manhole was in the car park and was in bits laughing at the way Compo son's face fell when he saw the lid was back in place. :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

It's because of idiots like her there are now stupid warnings on things that should be obvious to everyone

CautionHot.jpg

may-contain-nuts-460x3001.jpg

Your safety is paramount, regardless of your stupidity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

COYVB wrote: »
    She represented herself

A solicitor advises you and puts your case together, a barrister represents you in court.

Maybe she had a solicitor but the barrister disagreed that the case was viable so she decided to represent herself in court?

Advertisement