Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Work Snacks

Options
  • 20-01-2015 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey guys,

Just wondering what people's take would be on my "healthy" snacks I eat in work. I generally eat an Activia yogurt around 11 and a chocolate covered rice cake. then around half 3 or 4 I would have some nuts. Either the €1 little 60g pack from Tesco of Almonds or Cashews or roughly 60g of the Forest Fresh yogurt covered nuts and raisins.

Anyway I'm just wondering am i being healthy or just fooling myself. A colleague told me that nuts and yogurts are full of fat and you shouldn't be eating to much of them.

It's sp hard today just to even try and be healthy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

shaykay wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just wondering what people's take would be on my "healthy" snacks I eat in work. I generally eat an Activia yogurt around 11 and a chocolate covered rice cake. then around half 3 or 4 I would have some nuts. Either the €1 little 60g pack from Tesco of Almonds or Cashews or roughly 60g of the Forest Fresh yogurt covered nuts and raisins.

Anyway I'm just wondering am i being healthy or just fooling myself. A colleague told me that nuts and yogurts are full of fat and you shouldn't be eating to much of them.

It's sp hard today just to even try and be healthy!

45g of nuts is your only man. Get 200g of almonds, 200g of cashews, 200g walnuts etc. in aldi. Mix them up and bag them in 45 g portions. There is about 15-20 snacks for 6EUR.

They have a lot of calories - so don't go mad. But they are useful calories, a great way of getting healthy fats. The also keep me ticking over.

Drink more water in work, bring in some fruit. bring in carrots/hummus, there are loads of choices, you just need to be prepped in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Did the colleague suggest a healthier alternative ???

Nuts are high in fat but they are great source of protein and I find you don't eat too many of them. I would generally have them as a snack with some yoghurt as well or some home made granola, it find it definitely stops hunger pangs and cravings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shaykay

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I usually drink about 2 and a half litres of water during work. I was thinking of bringing in some carrot sticks and hummus alright so might try that too. Good shout in the nut mix from aldi I'll have to pick some up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pistachios or peanuts in the shell.
    It's messy with the shells and a bit noisy too but the extra de-shelling activity will mean you won't scoff them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I bring almonds and a small tub of lidl Greek style yoghurt with a little bit of jam.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Greek yoghurts and add in whatever kind of chopped fruit you want. Nuts like almonds are great and good for protein and I'm sure you wouldn't eat enough for what your colleagues saying to matter so go ahead and just disregard their input. If you really want to get experimental there are some unreal and easy to make recipes for stuff like protein bars and muffins on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I find a banana great for hunger pangs or also peppermint tea really gives you a sense of fullness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Latte or banana around 11am.

2 squares dark chocolate (70% or higher) at 4pm. If you're hungry at 3pm maybe relook at your lunch - are you eating enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Buy a load of apples, eat as many as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shaykay

Had some almonds in work today, ones with the brown skin on them and had an allergic reaction where my eyes started to swell. I know I'm not allergic to the almond nut so it must be the brown skin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

shaykay wrote: »
    Had some almonds in work today, ones with the brown skin on them and had an allergic reaction where my eyes started to swell. I know I'm not allergic to the almond nut so it must be the brown skin!

Oh no! Never heard of that before but maybe avoid them for the minute!

There is some very cute mini cucumbers in Lidl at the minute - perfect work snack! :)

Advertisement