Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

static ip address noob

Options
  • 20-01-2015 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

i remember years ago attempting to set up a static ip and could never get my head around it. i think i can do it this time.

if i start going static, does every device connected to my router via wifi need to be assigned a static ip? wouldnt know how to do it on a phone or wireless printer to be honest.

im doing it as my ps4 wifi is horrendous lately and i want to forward whichever ports i can find that may help online. is it possible to have just a static ip for the ps4? i dont care for having static ip for any other device in my house

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

sugarman wrote: »
    Generally the PS4 just has crap wifi and you need to be on a wired connection or else use homeplugs.

And also, configuring NAT types helps. Theres plenty of detailed guides around.

I wouldnt bother going setting up static addresses if youre not up to it.

you can say that again! will going static improve my experience? if not then ill just leave it. im on portforward.com. im about to go through their guide.

im not sure how to configure NAT types but mine is NAT2.and ever since upgrading to horizon, i get the odd "failed to connect to NAT" or something similar on ps4. basically never had a problem until i upgraded.

using UPCs "ubee" router now. not much better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You can set your router (which is normally your DHCP server) to give out addresses in the range 192.168.0.50 to 192.168.0.100 and then assign IP addresses outside this range to devices like your PS4. Then you can configure port forwarding to those fixed IPs that you need. In your case though it may be like the last poster said and your PS4 is just poor at WiFi.

Ken

i may consider homeplugs but until then, ill try static ip. zeners post is interesting. ill look into how to set that up

[QUOTE=ZENER;93919789]You can set your router (which is normally your DHCP server) to give out addresses in the range 192.168.0.50 to 192.168.0.100 and then assign IP addresses outside this range to devices like your PS4. Then you can configure port forwarding to those fixed IPs that you need. In your case though it may be like the last poster said and your PS4 is just poor at WiFi.

Ken[/QUOTE]

do i do this in the "ip filter" section?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

Hi Mark,

Read up on DHCP reservations. It's a way to assign a static IP address to each device you choose, or reserve it for a specific device. You can have a mix of dynamic and static addresses, you caqn also set the start of the address ranges if needs be.

E.g only assign dynamic ip's of 192.168.1.25 and above

I'll be honest mate, I doubt this will resolve your issue. Best you see how you go with a wired connection if possible.

Best,
    Pete

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Just try it over a wired connection first, then you'll know if its the wifi or your router settings without having to go messing with it unnecessarily.

I personally cant see how DHCP/Static would affect it.

Its most likely your Horizon box, just have a look over at the UPC forum at the shear number of complaints about the box and its wifi.

i tested it wired and it goes up by about 6mb but i cannot do wired as i use it upstairs
    Hi Mark,

Read up on DHCP reservations. It's a way to assign a static IP address to each device you choose, or reserve it for a specific device. You can have a mix of dynamic and static addresses, you caqn also set the start of the address ranges if needs be.

E.g only assign dynamic ip's of 192.168.1.25 and above

I'll be honest mate, I doubt this will resolve your issue. Best you see how you go with a wired connection if possible.

Best,
    Pete

i seem to have done it. i set my router to only give ips from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149 and assigned my ps4 an ip of 192.168.1.31

connection test shows that all is connected fine(just had to restart devices and ps4) and clearly states that my ip is 192.168.1.31 but when i go to my routers login page in DCHPclient devices, its showing my ps4 as 192.168.0.100

i know its the ps4 as once i changed the restrictions from only 100 - 149, i seen on the ps4 that its ip was 192.168.0.100 before i assigned it 192.168.0.31

maybe the router is just taking its time updating that? but all other devices connected are showing seconds after being turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Why are you assigning address in the 192.168.1.X range rather than 192.168.0.X as suggested?

Addresses lease for xx number of hours and will only change when they renew. Try switching it off/unplugging it for a while... or alternatively reboot your router. That or the mac address for the reservation is wrong.
    wrote:
    i tested it wired and it goes up by about 6mb but i cannot do wired as i use it upstairs

Get some EoP adapters and use wired. Invest in these, I have them for gaming in a room with no ethernet. I get a 2ms hop time to the router, cost me $60 AUD...so like $45 EUD?

degsie wrote: »
    Why are you assigning address in the 192.168.1.X range rather than 192.168.0.X as suggested?

yeah its 192.168.0.31 not 192.168.1.31 i made a typo. reset the router and its still not showing in DHCP client devices but my ps4 says its ip is 192.168.0.31 and connected fine. will i just go ahead and forward ports to 192.168.0.31 anyways?

If you set a fixed ip on a device and that ip address is outside the dhcp range, that that devices ip address will NOT appear on the dhcp client list. If you are seeing an entry for the PS4 then that's just 'old' data and the lease has not expired yet. A reboot of the router should clear that.

• Advertisement

If you set a fixed ip on a device and that ip address is outside the dhcp range, that that devices ip address will NOT appear on the dhcp client list. If you are seeing an entry for the PS4 then that's just 'old' data and the lease has not expired yet. A reboot of the router should clear that.

yeah so it seems.

im trying to forward ports but i keep getting this "the ip address should be in the same subnet as the lan ip address"

im trying to forard to 192.168.0.31 (ps4) my ipv4 address and laptop address is 192.168.101 which is in my dynamic ip range

bit lost here.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    yeah so it seems.

im trying to forward ports but i keep getting this "the ip address should be in the same subnet as the lan ip address"

im trying to forard to 192.168.0.31 (ps4) my ipv4 address and laptop address is 192.168.101 which is in my dynamic ip range

bit lost here.

Probably best to post a screenshot.

You forward ports, not ip addresses.

Here is an random example from the interwebs, yours might be a little different
    portforward.gif

Probably best to post a screenshot.

You forward ports, not ip addresses.

Here is an random example from the interwebs, yours might be a little different
    portforward.gif

this one shows my LAN ip or at least i think it is
    9o0ILdQ.png

this one shows what happens after i click save. the ip is 100% my ps4 ip
    pyOtKcW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'm not familiar with your router, but you might see if it will reserve an IP from the DHCP pool for a specific MAC (e.g your PS4). As opposed to assigning the device a static address utside the DHCP range

Not sure if its related but your router dns server address looks wrong. You currently have dns server 1 set to 192.168.0.1 which is the ip of the router itself!
    This should be a upc dns server address by default.

Have to ask, are you connected ONLY to the Horizon box? I ask because images from the web show a very different screen from the one you posted.
    Port_Forwarding.JPG

I'm using upc ubee brand box. I stopped using horizon.

I don't understand the other post. I'm very new to this stuff :(

What should I do?

I didn't change the DNS or at least don't think so. I've been going bac and forward between horizon and ubee the past few days but settled for ubee about 2 days ago.

Maybe that had messed up something? Should I do a factory reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I didn't change the DNS or at least don't think so. I've been going bac and forward between horizon and ubee the past few days but settled for ubee about 2 days ago.

Your DNS settings are fine. It's the same on Horizon.

maki wrote: »
    Your DNS settings are fine. It's the same on Horizon.

My bad so. Anyway it would have been helpful if the OP had explained which router he was using. I'm out. Maybe someone else can help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

You've the new UPC router, you unfortunately can't assign an IP to a MAC or host for some reason (only setup my brothers TV box). Your settings are a bit confused due to your PS4 caching the IP (x.x.0.31) not in your range (x.x.0.100 to x.x.0.249). Your DNS is fine, it is mapping back to the router which gives out the UPC DNS. I'd advise the following:

* Turn off the PS4
    * Rest the UPC router
    * Disable the Firewall and Block Anonymous Requests (all under Firewall menu)
    * Set the lease time to as long as possible (99999 seconds)
    * Leave the range as is and turn on the PS4
    * On PS4, switch to WiFi but don't connect, then reconnect with Ethernet (automatic method) and make note of your new PS4 IP address
    * Setup Port Forwarding as per your screenshot for the required games (don't port forward 80 though, that's your HTTP port, ports for games are usually like 445, 1050, 3881 etc.)

Alternatively, set the DMZ Host as your PS4 IP address and no ports will need to be opened, it will be NAT free.

All should be well after this :)

Have they all got the subnet mask of a class c? 255.255.255.0

You seem to have the grasp that 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x are different networks so it should just work. Check our portforward.com for instructions on how to.

advertsfox wrote: »
    You've the new UPC router, you unfortunately can't assign an IP to a MAC or host for some reason (only setup my brothers TV box). Your settings are a bit confused due to your PS4 caching the IP (x.x.0.31) not in your range (x.x.0.100 to x.x.0.249). Your DNS is fine, it is mapping back to the router which gives out the UPC DNS. I'd advise the following:

* Turn off the PS4
    * Rest the UPC router
    * Disable the Firewall and Block Anonymous Requests (all under Firewall menu)
    * Set the lease time to as long as possible (99999 seconds)
    * Leave the range as is and turn on the PS4
    * On PS4, switch to WiFi but don't connect, then reconnect with Ethernet (automatic method) and make note of your new PS4 IP address
    * Setup Port Forwarding as per your screenshot for the required games (don't port forward 80 though, that's your HTTP port, ports for games are usually like 445, 1050, 3881 etc.)

Alternatively, set the DMZ Host as your PS4 IP address and no ports will need to be opened, it will be NAT free.

All should be well after this :)

Would the up not change when I turn it off as it assigns a new one?

Would the up not change when I turn it off as it assigns a new one?
    It shouldn't change with the extra long lease time (didn't / hasn't with my brothers setup either).

It's the only way for now until a firmware upgrade makes it available. It will work, the PS4 will remember the IP and hold onto it - as should the router with that lease time.

It shouldn't change with the extra long lease time (didn't / hasn't with my brothers setup either).

It's the only way for now until a firmware upgrade makes it available. It will work, the PS4 will remember the IP and hold onto it - as should the router with that lease time.

I'll give it a go then. I'll check the ip every few days.

The dmz option.. I got slower speeds and Google said its not safe so I didn't go that route.

Thanks for te advice and thanks to everyone else too

I'll give it a go then. I'll check the ip every few days.

The dmz option.. I got slower speeds and Google said its not safe so I didn't go that route.

Thanks for te advice and thanks to everyone else too
    It's fine for your PS4, it just opens all ports on that host so that's why it's labeled as not safe (due to open firewall, malware etc but that's not possible on the console) - in your case it's perfect because you won't even have to port forward to your PS4 (just map it's IP in the DMZ settings) and won't affect speed, only improve it because of no NAT restrictions.

It's fine for your PS4, it just opens all ports on that host so that's why it's labeled as not safe (due to open firewall, malware etc but that's not possible on the console) - in your case it's perfect because you won't even have to port forward to your PS4 (just map it's IP in the DMZ settings) and won't affect speed, only improve it because of no NAT restrictions.

i should try it again then. i immediatly lost speeds by about 4mb download and 1mb upload and when i changed back, i gained some speed again. maybe just a coincidence.

will it say im NAT2 or NAT1 on ps4? or will NAT just be blank? (just so i know i didnt itr right

also..will input into DMZ host the .31 ip mentioned above thats apparently static or will i input one thats assigned to my ps4 in the dynamic range?

so i placed 192.168.0.31(outside my dynamic range) into the DMZ host box and set the ip also to my ps4. all is well but ive no idea if it worked as it still says my nat is type 2.

so i placed 192.168.0.31(outside my dynamic range) into the DMZ host box and set the ip also to my ps4. all is well but ive no idea if it worked as it still says my nat is type 2.
    That's fine leaving it that way, not a pretty setup but the IP shouldn't change and can't be taken over by another device since its not in the "automatic" range.

NAT2 is perfect, it means ports are open for your PS4 and you are behind a router. NAT3 is the same but ports closed and NAT1 is no router (direct connection). Looks like your good to go :)

• Advertisement

That's fine leaving it that way, not a pretty setup but the IP shouldn't change and can't be taken over by another device since its not in the "automatic" range.

NAT2 is perfect, it means ports are open for your PS4 and you are behind a router. NAT3 is the same but ports closed and NAT1 is no router (direct connection). Looks like your good to go :)

not a pretty setup? do i need to do anything to fix it?

the ip fragmentation notice has dissapeared from my ps4 also which seems to be a good thing. i was thankfully never NAT3 before :D

Advertisement