Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

This things are mere adjustments, not changing marriage into its opposite.
    Marriage has existing in human society for aeons and has not meant same sex relationships, whereas the availability of divorce or the age of marriage have varied from place to place and at different times.

The idea that allowing same sex marriage changes marraige into its opposite just doesn't make sense. The opposite of marriage would be to ban recognition of couples' relationships, not to extend that recognition to other couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So the Government of the day can absolve themselves of having legislated for it. If it passes...

(Why can't the Civil Registration Act be amended to include SSM?....see above)

The civil registration act could be amended potentially but that would likely be unconstitutional because
    A the paragraph on protecting the institution against attack and
    B Case law - Zappone/Gilligan in the High Court.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

So if we had a referendum that a bike is now called a car - and all that had a car must now have a bike , because the people who did not have a car felt it was unfair - so from now on all with a car should be on a bike only,

Would it not be more like.. Some people not being allowed to have a car and others are. Then we change the law so everyone can have a car (because of equality) so the people who currently have a car still have a car after the law change. Everyone's happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

What was up with claire byrnes hair last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Last night was infuriating. Not because of the clunky format and depressing colour scheme, I expect that of RTE, but the debate.

Very enlightening, though. Now the anti-equality has shown its referendum strategy: to confuse the issue of marriage equality with adoption and surrogacy. These issues are related, but they're analytically and legally distinct, not causally connected and only marriage equality is up for referendum. The strategy is to sew confusion and prejudice among Ireland's more conservative citizens.

The anti-equality's logic is: marriage is for men and women, children have a right to a mother and a father and only a man and women bringing up a child together can provide the correct environment as the fundamental basis of our society. Since gay couples cannot conceive together due to biological reasons, this will create a nightmarish situation in which two same-sex parents will never be able to provide the correct environment and under new adoption/surrogacy legislation, parents will never be allowed to 'know their biological parents'.

Now, my thought is if we're to apply the anti-choice argument fully then the following situation must apply:
    • Single parents (due to separation, divorce, death) must give up their children to a heterosexual couple who can bring them up correctly, but the child can, if they wish, can 'know their biological parent'
    • All heterosexual parents who acquired a child through surrogacy, for example, from commercial surrogacy services in India, must ensure their child 'can know their biological parent' and give it up if required
    • All surrogacy should be banned
    • All adoption should be banned and children placed in facilities run by the state, religious organisations, etc. or deported to another jurisdiction

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

So if we had a referendum that a bike is now called a car - and all that had a car must now have a bike , because the people who did not have a car felt it was unfair - so from now on all with a car should be on a bike only,

A better analogy would be if only men were allowed ride bikes and we had a referendum to allow women to ride them too. Once passed men could continue to ride bikes and call themselves cyclists regardless of women partaking of the same pleasure.

When I see people claiming all sorts of things that will happen if SSM is passed I'm always reminded of that great pie chart:-

tumblr_lf2dg05Eqj1qzwaddo1_500.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

What was up with claire byrnes hair last night?

looked like a wig

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Claire Byrne: Are you concerned about same-sex marriage?

Breda O Brien: *silence* … Sorry? I don’t understand.

that's all we need to know about her. Too busy derailing the debate at hand into fear mongering territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Colin Farrell on every week, defo will tune in if he is :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Im still baffled about the comment from the African chap..equality will open the door to polygamy and bestiality?? excuse me??

also, i dont know but i'm fairly certain that chap as with most non nationals resident in Ireland, wouldnt even be allowed vote in this referendum would he?
    ive pals from Scotland, Australia etc, living here 20+ years some of them, who arent eligible to vote, so is it more of RTE trying to appear to be 'balanced' by allowing such a wackadoodle comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Tonight should be a cracker.

Gerry Adams and Joan Burton go head to head,apparently.

At 10:35

"I have to say"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

gladrags wrote: »

"I have to say"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

gladrags wrote: »

"I have to say"

If this is anything like Joan's face off's with Sinn Fein in the Dail, this one could get a bit heated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

A more straightforward question but a totally stupid process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This amarach poll is stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Gerard sporting a nice tweed suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Oh Joan, I'm bored already... Just reading dispassionately from the autocue like she's doing a book report for school..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Watching this for the first time.

Looks good!!!

Claire Byrne is so fit.

I hate the Irish thing. Bla bla national language. It strikes of tokenism.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I wish Gerry would stop murdering the Irish language!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Is there some kind of compulsory quota of Irish that Sinn Feiners have to say in media performances?

Is there some kind of compulsory quota of Irish that Sinn Feiners have to say in media performances?

AFAIK Gerry isn't fluent

Nasty bloodshot eye in the background. :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Nasty bloodshot eye in the background. :/

Nice totty all the same.

M

We have a lot to thank Lehman Brothers for, if they didn't collapse the problems would have been much worse.

M

They cut the dole for the under 25's did they not?

Yep. 100 a week I think.

I'll never vote SF

IF THEY GO BACK TO TRAINING THEY KEEP IT DON'T THEY?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Claire Byrne looks amazing.

Advertisement